Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Show Me Your Aprilia  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Show Me Your Aprilia
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »
My latest acquisition, a 2009 Dorsoduro 750:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Got it used, for a wonderful price; though it took some sorting out.  The previous owner had replaced the stock rear turn signals (which are prone to just breaking off from vibration) with aftermarket LED's, but he failed to install resistors so the dash displayed a 'lamp failure' warning each time they were used.

Also, the dealership who sold it to me on consignment told me after the sale that it came with only one of the two ignition keys (which have a transponder); nor did they have the previous owner's unique 5-digit security code that overrides the bike's ignition immobilizer (allowing the use of plain 'ol metal keys available from anyplace that cuts keys).  Bad ju-ju. 

After some back-and-forth, the salesguy phoned upstairs to the owner of the dealership (apparently a personal friend of the previous owner) and asked that he call the PO to ask for these things, after which he confirmed they were unobtanium.  I was a bit skeptical, so I lurked around the showroom kicking tires for a while until I just happened to overhear the PO's last name, while they were looking in their computer at the bike's service record.  A quick Google search using my smartphone showed he worked just a couple blocks away.   

I immediately thanked the salesguy, drove to the PO's place of business, introduced myself and asked about keys and codes and such.  His response?  "Wow - my bike got sold?  First I've heard!" :o

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
Re: Show Me Your Aprilia
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
Such a nice bike with a real Goldilocks engine. 

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
Loving it so far.  Very peppy, lean angle to spare, and the exhaust note is pure sex.  It's got a small 3.17 gallon gas tank, so it get thirsty quick - range is about 120 miles.  The stock seat is pitiful though.  Last week I rode to McHenry,MD (on my GSA) to the Aprilia dealership there, and bought a stock seat for a Dorsoduro 1200. For som reason that has about 3/4" more padding than the DD750's.  Big improvement.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »

That looks like a really fun hooligan bike.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline MisterSmooth

• Motorcycles: Stealth Gray BMW K1300S, Glittering Yellow Aprilia RSV4
Show Me Your Aprilia
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
I hear that running is good for you, but the ice cubes keep falling out of my glass.

Offline falconati

• Motorcycles: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

Got it used, for a wonderful price; though it took some sorting out.  The previous owner had replaced the stock rear turn signals (which are prone to just breaking off from vibration) with aftermarket LED's, but he failed to install resistors so the dash displayed a 'lamp failure' warning each time they were used.

Also, the dealership who sold it to me on consignment told me after the sale that it came with only one of the two ignition keys (which have a transponder); nor did they have the previous owner's unique 5-digit security code that overrides the bike's ignition immobilizer (allowing the use of plain 'ol metal keys available from anyplace that cuts keys).  Bad ju-ju. 

After some back-and-forth, the salesguy phoned upstairs to the owner of the dealership (apparently a personal friend of the previous owner) and asked that he call the PO to ask for these things, after which he confirmed they were unobtanium.  I was a bit skeptical, so I lurked around the showroom kicking tires for a while until I just happened to overhear the PO's last name, while they were looking in their computer at the bike's service record.  A quick Google search using my smartphone showed he worked just a couple blocks away.   

I immediately thanked the salesguy, drove to the PO's place of business, introduced myself and asked about keys and codes and such.  His response?  "Wow - my bike got sold?  First I've heard!" :o

This is Reeve Callaway's daily driver!

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
World Superbike Champions representing!!

Some day I'm going to have to stop drinking the Honda kool-aid and get one of those.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
Still an excellent looking bike MS.  I have put my Tuono V4 plans on hold for now.  I'm thinking of selling my G650X and getting a KTM 350EXC.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

2007 with 6k miles

Big honking sticker gone.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
Oooh, that's pretty.  :)

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
2003 4800 miles
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Excellent picture. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"