Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Area info?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
Area info?
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
I think I posted that I wad getting transferred to the Bay area this summer, more specifically I will be working in Alameda. I have only been to Santa Rosa for a wedding but no real time on west coast.

I would love to avoid Oakland since I have not heard good things about it. Plus, being a Steelers fan it just won't be good. So have been looking at areas like Union City, Fremont, and Dublin. I have also been looking at Walnut Creek but it just sounds kind of boring to me.

Looking for any and all suggestions. I have some friends out there that I'm waiting for feedback but thought I would ask my STOner friends also.

Thanks and look forward to riding your roads soon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:35:20 AM by doc4216 »
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Re: Area info?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
What sort of city-things do you want to be close to? Nightclubs, late-night restaurants, arenas etc or is suburbia OK?  :bigok:

I've never lived in the East Bay so I can't help with specific areas of the cities you listed, but I have a couple of friends who live in Alameda; I can ask them for suggestions. :D

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
What sort of city-things do you want to be close to? Nightclubs, late-night restaurants, arenas etc or is suburbia OK?  :bigok:

I've never lived in the East Bay so I can't help with specific areas of the cities you listed, but I have a couple of friends who live in Alameda; I can ask them for suggestions. :D

Thanks. Not really into clubs anymore but love restaurants and outdoors. Kind of looking for good mix of both, which is what I have now. I like the neighborhood feel with great local places instead of big chain restaurant's. If that makes any sense at all.

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
I lived in Googleview - I mean "Mountain View" - for a year and it was ok. Not much of a neighborhood, but the apartment complex we were in was really nice (I mean *really* nice) and within walking distance to the grocery store and the best damn Mexican restaurant I've ever been to (Fiesta del Mar).  I should say that the "down town" area of Mountain View is pretty good, but San Carlos seemed much more interesting.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
I lived in Googleview - I mean "Mountain View" - for a year and it was ok. Not much of a neighborhood, but the apartment complex we were in was really nice (I mean *really* nice) and within walking distance to the grocery store and the best damn Mexican restaurant I've ever been to (Fiesta del Mar).  I should say that the "down town" area of Mountain View is pretty good, but San Carlos seemed much more interesting.

Thanks. I think we are trying to stay on the east side of the Bay since that's where I thinking both of us will be working. Good to know about the Mexican food. That is one of the things we are definitely excited about!

Offline bsd43

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
What kind of housing are you looking for?

Parts are Oakland aren't horrible -- Rockridge, most areas in the hills and east of 580, etc.

Why not Alameda itself? There's only one bad part of Alameda -- former base housing southwest of the corner of Webster and Atlantic. Otherwise it's safe and very well patrolled (too well, in the case of the strict 25 mph speed limit). Good Mexican food at La Piñata/La Penca Azul.

Union City, Fremont, Dublin -- all very very suburban, if you're into that...

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
What kind of housing are you looking for?

Parts are Oakland aren't horrible -- Rockridge, most areas in the hills and east of 580, etc.

Why not Alameda itself? There's only one bad part of Alameda -- former base housing southwest of the corner of Webster and Atlantic. Otherwise it's safe and very well patrolled (too well, in the case of the strict 25 mph speed limit). Good Mexican food at La Piñata/La Penca Azul.

Union City, Fremont, Dublin -- all very very suburban, if you're into that...

Great! Thanks for the info.  We are in the process of getting released from the CG housing in alameda (by the old navy base). I'm not against living in alameda but the options of a 3/2 (or similar) with yard and garage seems few and far between on alameda island.

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
Thanks. I think we are trying to stay on the east side of the Bay since that's where I thinking both of us will be working.

Agreed -- you definitely want to stay in the East Bay if you're working over there, though if for some reason you fell in love with something on the Peninsula, at least you'd have a reverse commute (most people who commute across the bridges work on the peninsula and live in the East Bay).  I-880 is total suck a lot of the time, though, so the less time you can spend on it, the better. :bigok:

The food all over the Bay Area is amazing. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline goldylocks303

• Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
Traffic everywhere in the bay area sucks.  Don't sucked in by "reverse commute".  Seriously, you should give Alameda a chance.  People who live there love it.  Small town feel, lot's of ma and pa stores/restaurants, relaxed vibe.  You won't feel like you're missing anything and if you want open spaces you drive to the oakland hills (not far).  Plus you can easily get to SF when you want by a variety of modes of transportation. 

Hayward/dublin/Fremont also have their bad neighborhoods, just like Oakland.  So don't get something just because it's cheap.  Do you want an older or newer house?  The further you get away from the 'hub' of the bay area, the newer the houses get.  Are you renting or buying? 

Is Berkeley/Albany not an option?  It's certainly pricier than hayward/fremont area. 

eD

Offline bluepoof

• bluepoof.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
Don't sucked in by "reverse commute". 

You have to admit that it's decidedly worse going westbound in the morning and eastbound at night!  I'm only talking the Dumbarton/San Mateo bridges.  I agree that the Bay Bridge and GG are shittastic no matter when (ditto going into SF).

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »

Traffic everywhere in the bay area sucks.  Don't sucked in by "reverse commute".  Seriously, you should give Alameda a chance.  People who live there love it.  Small town feel, lot's of ma and pa stores/restaurants, relaxed vibe.  You won't feel like you're missing anything and if you want open spaces you drive to the oakland hills (not far).  Plus you can easily get to SF when you want by a variety of modes of transportation. 

Hayward/dublin/Fremont also have their bad neighborhoods, just like Oakland.  So don't get something just because it's cheap.  Do you want an older or newer house?  The further you get away from the 'hub' of the bay area, the newer the houses get.  Are you renting or buying? 

Is Berkeley/Albany not an option?  It's certainly pricier than hayward/fremont area. 

eD

Alameda is definitely an option but the main reason we are trying to get released from housing is BC of our 75lb fur child. She needs a yard and I need a garage so it's just a comprise game. If we could find something that meets the puzzle of needs on alameda, I think that would be our first pick.

The furry ones:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
So I got my housing orders today and I will be living on alameda island by the old navy base. The good news is is that we got a two car garage and the place is in the process of getting all new carpet and paint.

Offline 5outta6

• Motorcycles: KLR, CT90
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
If I'm not mistaken the Alameda to SF ferry is pretty close to the old Alameda Naval Air Station...

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
If I'm not mistaken the Alameda to SF ferry is pretty close to the old Alameda Naval Air Station...

Where they keep the nuclear wessels?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline nevinfs327

• Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler; Kawasaki W650; Suzuki TU250
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »
New to *this* site, so a little late... caught your PGH comment and should note that there is a good "Stillers" bar in North Beach in the city: http://www.giordanobros.com/northbeach/.  Primanti brothers knock-off, but tastefully so.  Lots of 'Burgh expats here, myself included.

Don't know much about East Bay neighborhoods, though Coast Guard Island seems a nice enough place to work when I happen to pass by in need of gas or have to visit the DEERs folks.  Anything with a garage is excellent.

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
New to *this* site, so a little late... caught your PGH comment and should note that there is a good "Stillers" bar in North Beach in the city: http://www.giordanobros.com/northbeach/.  Primanti brothers knock-off, but tastefully so.  Lots of 'Burgh expats here, myself included.

Don't know much about East Bay neighborhoods, though Coast Guard Island seems a nice enough place to work when I happen to pass by in need of gas or have to visit the DEERs folks.  Anything with a garage is excellent.

Thanks for the info! Will definitely lit visit that place! Will have to get used to watching games at 10am but am certainly not complaining when we have a night game. Good to know that I will have at least one other blank and gold fan out there!