Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice needed on bike sale in PA  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
Advice needed on bike sale in PA
« on: March 21, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »
I have a cash buyer interested in seeing my wife's Suzuki.  He wants to come by Sunday morning to see it.

The title is in my wife's name and she will be away at a Reiki training class.

I don't see that there are any local notaries open on Sundays for title transfer.

I have never done a private sale of a bike before.  I have bought through private sales and we met at a notary office that specializes in vehicle transfers - Bimmers in Lancaster.

If my wife is not home, and I can't get the title transferred, is it possible/adviseable to complete a bill of sale, take the cash, and give him the bike, with the agreement that my wife would meet him somewhere on Monday to transfer the title separately?

Do I need to verify that he has insurance first?  Would I be opening myself to liability issues if I give him the bike without a title?  The local notary office is open only Saturday morning and we won't be available at that time.

Any advice on private bike sales in PA?  Any recommendations for title transfer places near Ephrata?

Thank you!

Online Mustang

• Allentown,Pa
  • Motorcycles: K1600GT
Re: Advice needed on bike sale in PA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »
You having cash and title is a good thing, BUT lawyers rule, there is a chance if they have accident with it while still in your name, there could be a window for law suite against you! I would wait for another day with a notory!
John

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
Thanks, John.  That is the same thing the notary place told me.  It's not illegal but it's also not advisable.

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
Is the buyer a PA resident?

If not, a notarized signature may not be required.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
Yes he is from West Chester, PA.

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
You can also be held responsible for parking violations, towing, impound fees, etc. If they can't buy it when a notary is open, I would not sell it to them.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
The buyer is motivated and willing to make an agreement for title transfer and liability waiver, but wants the bike for his cash on Sunday.  I'm motivated to get it sold.  I just noticed its due for inspection too..

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
Good luck. Many years ago, I sold my 84 500 interceptor to a guy who said his mother was a notary and would take care of all the paper work. He paid me cash for the bike and told me where to sign the title. Several months later, I received a letter stating that I was late on paying parking tickets, bla bla bla. Seems the bike was illegally parked with no tag. Guess who showed up as the owner when the police ran the VIN? I hope you have a better experience.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
Look online.  Often there are notaries who do private work on weekends.  Also check at local car dealerships.  The almost always have a notary on the premises during business hours

Offline AHD43

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
50 or so miles but they do Sunday's.... by appointment only.

Hill Church Notary and Auto Tags
Boyertown, Pa

610-413-7947

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »

Do I need to verify that he has insurance first? No, the notary does that.
 Would I be opening myself to liability issues if I give him the bike without a title? Yes. wait until Monday. If he's that hard up, he can wait.

Any advice on private bike sales in PA? Do a generic bill of sale, ride the bike to the notary. Take the cash there, before you transfer the title. Then it's his bike, he can ride it from there.
Any recommendations for title transfer places near Ephrata? B & E across from the Cloister.

Thank you! You're welcome.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 08:08:13 AM »
^Shane is correct.  In PA you must have the title transferred by a notary.  I still find its a better system then in NJ where you just signed the back of the title.  When I was younger my sister sold her car and a year or so later Camden Police contacted her about towing and storage for it.  She gave the guy the title when she sold it do it was a mess.  It's one thing PA actually does right.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  I offered to deliver on Monday when the title can be transferred properly.  That way I get one last ride on this sweet Suzuki, too.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:07:13 AM »
In Illinois, there is a form you CAN (most don't) file when you sign over your title (no notary necessary) that informs the DMV you no longer own the bike. Maybe there is an equivalent in your state?
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline Rincewind

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
In Illinois, there is a form you CAN (most don't) file when you sign over your title (no notary necessary) that informs the DMV you no longer own the bike. Maybe there is an equivalent in your state?

I don't know of such a form.  In PA we are required to have all vehicle title transfers notarized. 

The buyer agreed to my plan so we are delivering the bike tonight.  We will have the title transferred at that time.  It's going to be a cold ride in the mid 30's, but better today than during the snow tomorrow!

Offline open sore

• Motorcycles: 2014 Kawasaki ZR1000, 2001 Yamaha XV16AT, 1994 Kawi ZX11
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 03:18:43 PM »
Do a lot of states require a notary to transfer ownership?  That seems like a hassle for a private sale of a vehicle.  In NY all that is required is the seller to sign off the back of the title, purchaser name goes on back of title and give the purchaser a handwritten Bill of Sale.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
PA has several convoluted rules.  I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a commonwealth?

When we moved here they couldn't believe we actually had the physical title to a new car with a lien on it.

Offline marc11

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »
Can't speak for PA but in NY we just sign the title over. However there are ways to protect yourself. First in NY there are spaces for the date and mileage I always ensure I fill those in. Second I make two copies of the bill of sale and both I and the buyer signs them. The bill of sale has the date, mileage and Vin along with a no warranty as is clause. This way I can prove when and at what mileage it was sold if something comes up. As for this bike I know it was setlled but if he really wants the bike telling him the situation and agreeing to hold the bike with a small deposit and receipt until your wife can transfer the title is not unreasonable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
you may check your state, ours has a website you can log onto to record the sale. that way it is somewhat official even if they don't transfer it at the DMV
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline oilhed

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2009 K1200LT (trunkless)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

Do a lot of states require a notary to transfer ownership?  That seems like a hassle for a private sale of a vehicle.  In NY all that is required is the seller to sign off the back of the title, purchaser name goes on back of title and give the purchaser a handwritten Bill of Sale.

In CT the title is what the new owner needs to register it. But the owner turns in the plates and reg. to release himself as the owner. The new owner could loose the title and park the bike but it's not your concern.

Mark F.
aka OILHED
Central CT
MarkF
aka OILHED
Central CT

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
In California, you sign it over then go online and take care of the release of liability.  :thumbsup:
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell