Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best of 2014 (according to MSN)  (Read 5216 times)

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:26:22 PM by CLAY »

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
Re: Best of 2014 (according to MSN)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
That Brutale is a looker...

-Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
I must be getting old.  The NineT most appeals to me as a bike I would buy.  That doesn't mean it's the best.  It's just what would fit my riding style and needs the best. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »
I don't have an MSN account.
this signature on hold pending review

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the fixed link.

As far as the list -- different strokes, I guess. There are about five bikes on that list that I like. None of the bikes I'm actually considering are on it.
A man with no sig

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
totally looking forward to that v strom 100
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
What say you?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-new-motorcycles-of-the-2014-riding-season#24

god-like moderator powers enabled to fix link- CLAY:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-new-motorcycles-of-the-2014-riding-season

Can you give cliff's notes? Both links take me to a login page, and I don't have an MSN account.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »
I don't like when those lists put one item on each page so you have to click a bunch of times.  I'm not playing their game.

Oh, my vote goes to 2014 Honda VFR800.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »

What say you?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-new-motorcycles-of-the-2014-riding-season#24

god-like moderator powers enabled to fix link- CLAY:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/best-new-motorcycles-of-the-2014-riding-season

Can you give cliff's notes? Both links take me to a login page, and I don't have an MSN account.

I'll try to whip something up tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
I don't have a login account and I can get to the pages. I do have ad blocker so I had to let MSN in a little. :)

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
Copy/Pasta c/o God-Like Clay's link

Best new motorcycles of the 2014 riding season

BMW R nineT

Price: Starts at $14,900

This retro-themed roadster will appeal to riders who appreciate classic lines and an opportunity to personalize with a wide array of BMW accessories — a page from the Harley-Davidson playbook. In its stock form, the R nineT features minimal chrome and multiple textures. A 110-horsepower air- and oil-cooled 1170cc boxer-twin engine is a stressed member of a modular tubular-steel frame. The fuel tank is aluminum, with brushed side panels that match an accessory tailpiece that's sure to be popular.

BMW S 1000 R

Price: Starts at $13,150

This new "undressed" version of the potent S 1000 RR uses that bike's aluminum frame and 999cc 4-cylinder engine, retuned from 193 to 160 horsepower with better low- and mid-range power that's more useful in an urban setting. The S 1000 R also has less bodywork and more upright ergonomics. Stability control, ABS and two power modes (Road and Rain) are part of the package. The instrument cluster features a liquid-crystal multifunction display, a large analog tachometer and a lap timer. This bike is not only comfortable, it's also very fast.

Ducati 899 Panigale

Price: Starts at $14,995

Ducati calls the 899 Panigale a "super-mid," a sort of gateway to the world of exotic high-performance bikes. The price of admission is $4,000 less than that of the mind-blowing 1199 Panigale. The 899 offers the same edgy styling as the 1199, a 90-degree V-twin Superquadro 899cc engine rated at 148 horsepower, a die-cast aluminum monocoque frame, eight-level traction control, three-level ABS and ride-by-wire throttle with three performance settings (Race, Sport and Rain). Ducati Quick Shift allows race-style clutchless upshifts; Monobloc M4 32 Brembo brake calipers haul you out of orbit.

Ducati Monster 1200

Price: Starts at $13,495

Twenty years ago the original Monster created the naked-bike segment, which combines the performance of a sportbike with an upright riding position and a "hooligan" attitude. This third-generation Monster is the first with a liquid-cooled engine, its Testastretta 1198 V-twin tuned to make 135 horsepower (145 in the $15,995 1200S). Three riding modes — Urban, Touring and Sport — offer escalating power and response. The new Monster 1200 is longer and heavier than previous models, but it is also more comfortable. The S adds fully adjustable Ohlins suspension, lightweight wheels and upgraded brakes. Both versions have ABS and traction control.

Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited

Price: Starts at $25,899

Informed by Project Rushmore — a Harley-Davidson product development process that leveraged "voice of the customer" feedback — this flagship Electra Guide touring model has more than 100 updates, including liquid-cooled cylinder heads on a more powerful twin-cam 103-cubic-inch engine, Reflex linked braking with ABS, LED headlamps, a class-leading Boom! Box infotainment system with Bluetooth, voice recognition and GPS navigation, and little details like one-touch latches on the luggage compartments. A new vent in the fairing reduces head buffeting. Even with all the changes, this Harley retains its iconic styling and unmatched finish quality.

Harley-Davidson Street 750/500

Price: Not yet announced

Harley's first new platform in more than decade is designed for sale around the globe, aimed at young urban riders seeking a nimble midweight bike that projects authentic Harley-Davidson styling. A liquid-cooled V-twin engine has a narrow profile and is tuned to deliver strong midrange power. A low seat height and control placement instills rider confidence. The Harley plant in Kansas City, Mo., will build the Street for U.S. sale, while a new facility in India will build the Street for sale in that country and other global markets. Bikes should reach U.S. dealers in early summer.

Harley-Davidson SuperLow 1200T

Price: Starts at $11,799

By adding locking saddle bags, a detachable windshield and a 1200cc V-twin engine to its easy-handling Sportster SuperLow chassis, Harley has created a motorcycle for riders with touring aspirations who don't care to manage the mass of its Big Twin models. More than 100 pounds lighter than Harley's Switchback bagger, the SuperLow has ergonomics designed specifically for riders less than 5 feet 7 inches tall and a seat that puts most feet flat on the ground at stops. An adjustable rear suspension accommodates the weight of a passenger and gear, and it's ready to accept an accessory luggage rack and backrest.

Harley-Davidson Low Rider

Price: Starts at $14,199

This new cruiser revives a classic Harley model name and offers styling cues — including the headlamp eyebrow, cast-aluminum wheels and wrinkle-black paint on the instrument console — borrowed from the original and influential 1977 Low Rider. Key features include a removable seat bolster and adjustable handlebar risers that work with repositioned foot controls to offer a comfortable, confident fit for almost any rider. Harley says the Low Rider is designed to accommodate riders from 5 -feet-1-inch to 6-feet-1-inch in height. A twin-cam 103-cubic-inch V-twin produces a stirring rumble through a 2-into-1 exhaust.

Honda Grom 125

Price: Starts at $3,199

Honda expects the Grom 125 to introduce a new generation to the pure fun of motorcycling, but this little bike will be irresistible to riders of any age, gender or experience level. The Grom weighs just 225 pounds, but this is not a minibike; it's sized to fit most adults comfortably. Disc brakes and chubby tires let it handle like a bigger motorcycle, and fuel injection helps its 125cc air-cooled engine start quickly and deliver responsive performance. There's enough power to zing away from traffic, but a top speed of about 50 mph will keep the Grom off the freeway.

Honda CTX 1300

Price: Starts at $15,999

The latest model in the Honda CTX (Comfort Technology eXperience) series is powered by a retuned version of the 1300cc V4 engine from its ST1300 sport-touring model. The comfort part of the equation is delivered by a laid-back riding posture, swept-back handlebars and a low 29-inch seat height. The hard saddlebags hug the motorcycle so they won't snag urban traffic, and they will hold most full-face helmets — great for commuting. Brilliant LED headlamps are standard. A deluxe version adds ABS and an audio system with Bluetooth.

Honda Interceptor

Price: Starts at $12,499

Available in the United States for the first time since 2009, this new Interceptor remains a "gentleman's sportbike," with conservative styling, more upright ergonomics and the smooth, sophisticated power and distinct exhaust note of a signature 782cc V4 engine. The engine is equipped with VTEC variable valve timing that broadens the powerband. A Deluxe version ($13,499) adds ABS, adjustable forks, traction control, self-cancelling turn signals, heated grips and a center stand. LED lighting and adjustable seat height are standard on both models, which should reach Honda dealers in May.

Honda CBR650F

Price: Starts at $8,499

Honda adds to its middleweight line with this new 4-cylinder 650 that's a step up from the CBR500R twin, but it is much less aggressive — and $3,000 less expensive — than the race-ready CBR600RR. The 649cc engine is tuned for real-world street riding with its great low- to midrange torque, and it is tilted 30 degrees forward to lower the center of gravity and improve handling. The steel frame, nonadjustable fork, and 2-piston brake calipers are a step down from uber-sport models, but the CBR650F offers tremendous bang for the buck. It reaches dealers later this summer.

Indian Chief Vintage

Price: Starts at $20,999

Minnesota-based Polaris Industries reprises the Indian brand — a rival of Harley-Davidson before it went out of business in 1953 — with a new line of heavyweight bikes that are thoroughly modern but linked to the past with classic Indian styling cues, including a deeply valanced front fender topped with an illuminated "war bonnet" ornament. A rigid cast-aluminum frame cradles a Thunder Stroke 111 V-twin engine that pumps out 119 lb-ft of torque and a soul-stirring exhaust tone. The Chief Vintage features a brown leather seat and fringed saddlebags, a detachable windshield, ABS, cruise control and keyless ignition.

Kawasaki Z1000 ABS

Price: Starts at $11,999

In its first update since 2010, this Z1000 street-fighter version of the Ninja 1000 features the radical low-nose, high-tail styling Kawasaki calls "Sugomi," a Japanese term that implies "someone or something inspiring awe and commanding respect." The 4-cylinder 1043cc engine is retuned for more bottom-end power and sharper throttle response, while shorter gearing improves acceleration. Suspension upgrades include a new Showa Separate Function-Big Piston Fork (SSF-BP). New cast-aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight by 3.3 pounds. Fuel capacity is increased to 4.5 from 4.1 gallons, and a redesigned dash features a new information interface.

KTM 1190 Adventure

Price: Starts at $16,499

A more refined street bike than the trail-ready 990 Adventure it replaces, the new 1190 Adventure offers sport-bike performance and touring comfort with the ability to travel over almost any road condition. The 1195cc LC8 V-twin engine delivers class-leading power, and a suite of sophisticated electronics includes Bosch 9ME ABS, lean-angle-sensing traction control and multiple power modes. An electronic damping system suspension and ABS are also standard. Seat height, bar and footpeg position, hand-lever span, and windshield height can all be adjusted. The Adventure R ($16,799) has off-road wheels and tires and longer-travel suspension.

MV Augusta Brutale 800 Dragster

Price: Starts at $14,798

Extreme performance and styling come together in this naked sportbike, the latest interpretation of the MV Brutale platform. The most distinctive element of the Italian stallion is its 200mm Pirelli Diablo Rosso II rear tire, which is exposed between the seat and a compact fin meant to deflect spray and hold the license plate. A steel trellis frame carries the 125-horsepower, 800cc 3-cylinder engine. Electronic controls include three power profiles plus a fourth that can be set up by the owner using a laptop, plus 8-level traction control and ABS, all of which make the Augusta Brutale 800 a fast, flexible ride.

Suzuki GW250

Price: Starts at $3,999

A late-release 2013 model, this entry-level street bike is priced $1,000 less than the popular Kawasaki Ninja 300. The 248cc engine is smooth and makes an adequate 24 horsepower. Seat height is a little high at 30.7 inches, but there's room for riders of all sizes on the wide saddle. The GW250 doesn't look entry-level. The low-profile nacelle holds the headlamp and a dash display and includes a fuel gauge and a gear position indicator. Front turn signals are integrated with the bodywork. The 2014 version, reaching dealers in early summer, is offered in new blue and white.

Suzuki V-Strom 100 ABS <--what a dumb typo, they forgot a zero there

Price: Starts at $12,699

This all-new adventure-touring motorcycle is skewed to the pavement side of the off-road/on-road equation. Designed to be lighter than other big-bore ADV bikes, the 503-pound V-Strom offers the rider a confident, upright position and long-travel suspension. Traction control helps keep the rear wheel in line in the wet or the dirt, given the prodigious power of a 1037cc V-twin engine that has been retuned for stronger midrange performance. Detachable saddlebags are an option, but they come standard on the Adventure version ($13,999), which also features a taller windscreen, hand guards and crash bars.

Triumph Thunderbird LT

Price: Starts at $16,699

Triumph says the LT stands for "light touring," and this new model features a detachable windscreen and removable leather saddlebags for quick conversion to cruiser mode. Classic features include footboards, wire wheels with whitewall radial tires, an art deco taillamp, a large headlamp flanked by auxiliary driving lamps, and a bucket of chrome. A 1699cc parallel-twin engine — the biggest motorcycle twin available — pumps out 93 horsepower. A new chassis provides space for a wider, lower seat. The Thunderbird LT reaches dealers this spring.

Victory Gunner

Price: Starts at $12,999

The Gunner takes aim at the blacked-out urban-bobber look with clipped fenders, a solo seat and Titanium Suede paint. The 24-spoke cast aluminum wheels — finished in black with machined highlights — are new, but the Freedom 106 V-twin (1731cc) engine and chassis geometry is the same as that of the great-handling Victory Judge. Seat height is just 25 inches, and foot control placement and pull-back handlebars put the rider in a commanding, upright position. The Gunner arrives at Victory dealers in early April.

Yamaha FZ09

Price: Starts at $7,990

This all-new naked sportbike offers extraordinary value and performance. The 847cc 3-cylinder engine is light and narrow, and features a host of technology, including ride-by-wire throttle and three power-delivery maps. An aluminum frame and swingarm is tuned for agility. Lightweight cast aluminum wheels are finished in a contrasting color. Twisting polished exhaust pipes feed a compact stainless steel muffler that produces a stirring tone. The FZ09 is one motorcycle that can pull double-duty as everyday transportation or as an exciting sport machine.

Zero SR

Price: $12,999 to $17,490

The new Zero SR electric motorcycle features a larger 660-amp motor controller that provides 24 percent more power and 56 percent higher torque (106 lb-ft) than the Zero S — good for a zero-to-60-mph time of 3.3 seconds and a top speed exceeding 100 mph (according to Zero). A new ZF11.4 battery pack, the top option, has a range of 137 urban miles or 85 miles at 55 mph. A full charge takes eight hours from a standard 110-volt outlet. It's expensive, but you'll never need to change the oil.

Veteran moto-journalist and Wisconsin-native Charles Plueddeman has been driving, riding and testing automobiles, motorcycles, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles for more than 20 years. He is a regular contributor to Boating Magazine and Outdoor Life, and his product evaluation articles have appeared in Popular Mechanics, Men's Journal, AutoWorld, Playboy, Boats.com and many other national publications and Web sites.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
I tend to agree with their choice of the KTM1190 Adventure ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
It doesn't seem like much of a "Best of" list when they mention almost every new 2014 model.  :shrug:

They forgot the new Royal Enfield Continnental, Caponord, Yamaha SR400 or the new Guzzi California Touring - but hey, it's MSN. 

I had not heard about the BMW nineT having an aluminum fuel tank - wouldn't that be a lot more prone to denting? 

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »
I don't have a login account and I can get to the pages. I do have ad blocker so I had to let MSN in a little. :)

Carl

hmm... weird.  :headscratch:

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »
It doesn't seem like much of a "Best of" list when they mention almost every new 2014 model.  :shrug:

They forgot the new Royal Enfield Continnental, Caponord, Yamaha SR400 or the new Guzzi California Touring - but hey, it's MSN. 

The price on that bike takes it completely out of the running. Not even in affordability but in general pricing. That seems insane, especially when the S1000R is way mo' of everything. :shrug:

Also, their list is... not awesome. Like you say... everything is on there. It's more like they're throwing new bike spaghetti at the wall. :shrug:

Also, as you say... it's MSN.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »

I had not heard about the BMW nineT having an aluminum fuel tank - wouldn't that be a lot more prone to denting?

Pros:  No rusting, no water absorption problems

Cons: Magnetic bags won't work. 

That's all I got.  :shrug: