Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Formula 1 2013 vs 2014  (Read 4323 times)

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Formula 1 2013 vs 2014
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »

I already miss the ear bleeding goodness.   :'(

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Re: Formula 1 2013 vs 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:39:28 AM »
Race promoters have complained to the FIA and, apparently, Bernie isn't happy with the sound either.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
That sounds lame as hell.  I don't follow it to know all the details but I do appreciate open wheel racing.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »
GHEY
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
  • Motorcycles: R12S
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
I guess Im in the minority but I really enjoyed the first race weekend.  It was good to see some new blood on top. 
I felt the sound was OK.  Sounded like a cross between a rally car and mx bike.  Very different but didnt really bother me.  Im sure in person its a different story.  I havent attended an F1 race since the Indy GP in 06 I think and unfortunately I dont see myself getting to one any time soon.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
I guess Im in the minority but I really enjoyed the first race weekend.  It was good to see some new blood on top. 
I felt the sound was OK.  Sounded like a cross between a rally car and mx bike.  Very different but didnt really bother me.  Im sure in person its a different story.  I havent attended an F1 race since the Indy GP in 06 I think and unfortunately I dont see myself getting to one any time soon.

I agree, the racing action was very exciting!  And, the overstreering caused by torque generated by the turbo makes me giggle.  I love seeing these drivers dancing more with the cars.

As for the sound, I prefer the screaming sounds from the past over the grunt sound of the new mills.  But, I do like the new off throttle sound with the energy recovery system whine and the waste gate of the turbos. 

Everyone who's opinion I care for have all said these new cars don't sound like proper racing cars.

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
 :withstupid:

I'm sure it's different when it's live, but on the tube, I found the low growl of the turbo 6 as appealing as the high whine of the V-8s. It looks like Mercedes is going to leave everyone in the dust, at least for the first part of the season, but the scrap behind them is more fun than anything the last few years offered. I'm good with the rules changes.
A man with no sig

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
I'm good with the rules changes.

+1 

I'm just not cool with the interpretation of how the front of the cars should look. 

O M G some of them are down right ugly and very phallic!

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »

I'm just not cool with the interpretation of how the front of the cars should look. 

O M G some of them are down right ugly and very phallic!

I agree some are ugly -- that "broken nose" Ferrari ranks with the worst they've ever produced -- but it's nice to see diversity again on the grid. I imagine they'll all look the same a year from now as they figure it out whose solution works best, but we haven't seen cars look this different in a long time and I'm kind of enjoying that.
A man with no sig

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
Everyone who's opinion I care for have all said these new cars don't sound like proper racing cars.

:redface:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
Everyone whos opinion I care for have all said these new cars don't sound like proper racing cars.

:redface:

OK, that came out wrong.  Sorry.  I do care for your opinion.  That statement was intended to have a qualifer to it which is, of those at the track hearing them live in person:P

Seriously, a lot of the journalists I like and follow in the web all said they didn't care for the sound in person. 

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »

OK, that came out wrong.  Sorry.  I do care for your opinion.  That statement was intended to have a qualifer to it which is, of those at the track hearing them live in person:P

Seriously, a lot of the journalists I like and follow in the web all said they didn't care for the sound in person.

Yeah, most of the ones I've read didn't like it either.

The TV guys, well, Buxton seemed to like it. Good ol' Hobbes said the sound was okay -- of course, he wasn't at the track. Matchett, also in the studio, didn't have anything good to say about it but he also said he thinks F1 engines should sound like the old 12 cylinder Ferrari. Cool by me, but we're not going to have 12 cylinders again.
A man with no sig

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:28 PM »
Maybe the new engines don't sound like much but I kinda preferred when they didn't sound like 20,000 RPM screaming banshees

Ride safe!

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »

No I knew what you meant Doug - should have added a  :bigsmile:

The Australian press was extremely critical of the entire show from what I saw on twitter and that was before the Ricciardo DQ.  Not much love anywhere in the media for the new rules.

++ on 12 cylinder Ferraris.  A bit ironic to see F1 attempting to be green on the track as they fly their circus around the world with like 6 or 8 747s. 

Offline Mac

• Just got out of prison
  • Motorcycles: none
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:47 PM »
Are the new engines producing more power? Or is it more an attempt to be more green?

For me, the screaming hi pitched motors is an iconic F1 sound
May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?

Offline tomek

• Motorcycles: three
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
As far as sound high revving atmo multicylinders rule, cars or bikes. Having said that there is absolutely no co-relation  between  20000rpm 2.4 V8 and production engines. They were running bore to stroke ration to the tune on 2.5-3. Horrible  combustion and fuel economy. Production car engines are around 1.0 or even less.  Manufacturers had to pour all that many on F1 powerplants without any return.

It is gonna be another story in case of turbo era starting now, the fuel flow is limited, geometry of exhaust manifold is fixed, no fancy variable geometry turbine housing, other that turbine energy recovery systems ( renault) those engines are fairy simple and in the modest state of tune. The emphasis will be on getting the most power from available amount of fuel and improving responsiveness of turbo engines.
Most production cars will be turbos in 5-10 years  and we all benefit from technology being  developed in f1 right now down the road. 

Matra v12 - the best sounding engine ever.