Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woodworking - How to resources needed.  (Read 1912 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Woodworking - How to resources needed.
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:10:24 AM »
I have a lot of trees of various varieties that will need to be dealt with.  Many have and will continue to become firewood.  But some are big enough that I think something fun could be done with them.  I don't have many significant
tools other than chainsaws and some basic hand tools.  I'm not averse to purchasing more but nothing expensive like a lathe or giant bandsaw or anything.  I'm thinking about crafting some planters or signs or just some basic stuff
for gifts or possibly to make a few bucks on. 

I have learning to do and need some resources.  For example, if I wanted to just cut a piece off a large log at an angle to be used to burn someone's name into as a cute little front yard sign, what would need to be done?
I envision cut, sand, burn or carve and then poly.  Seems too easy.  What am I missing?  Where do I learn about this? 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Woodworking - How to resources needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
Big-A-Boom!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
effective but slightly less delicate than I'm after I'm afraid. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
First is what kind of wood?

If decent hardwood, you need to have them cut into planks about 3-4" thick by 6-8' long, preferably quarter sawn and seal the ends with wax and let them dry over 2-3 years in a controlled environment. You will need a motorized tree bandsaw to do this yourself.

OR you can hire an experienced wood harvester for a share of the harvest.

Nice hardwood is getting from $60 -$100 a board foot in walnut, about half that for everything from maple to red oak and bodark.

Any way you do it, your not going to harvest and use anything immediately for decent stuff.

Buy a copy of Popular Mechanics for suggestions, or go to Home Depot and check out their DIY books.

Larry
VFRrider

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:21:28 AM »
First is what kind of wood?

If decent hardwood, you need to have them cut into planks about 3-4" thick by 6-8' long, preferably quarter sawn and seal the ends with wax and let them dry over 2-3 years in a controlled environment. You will need a motorized tree bandsaw to do this yourself.

OR you can hire an experienced wood harvester for a share of the harvest.

Nice hardwood is getting from $60 -$100 a board foot in walnut, about half that for everything from maple to red oak and bodark.

Any way you do it, your not going to harvest and use anything immediately for decent stuff.

Buy a copy of Popular Mechanics for suggestions, or go to Home Depot and check out their DIY books.

Larry
VFRrider

Perhaps the use of the word woodworking has given a false impression of my intent.  I'm thinking VERY simple projects like making planters out of logs or signs out of a crosscut.  Stuff I can do with a chainsaw, drill and a few hand tools.  :)

think... this type stuff:  You know, really complicated. 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login