Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What about the mass hysteria?!?! Flu not as bad as once thought?  (Read 9062 times)

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
NPR reports that roughly 1 in 5 unvaccinated people was infected with the flu virus each winter, the study found, but only a quarter of those people showed any symptoms of the infection. And only 17 percent of those infected were sick enough to see a doctor.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?ft=1&f=103537970&utm_source=npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_medium=twitter

I believe that the flu vaccine is fantastic and needed for those with a weakened immune system (elderly, youth, or those with underlying issues) but if this study holds water, what will the big pharmaceutical companies going to push, pain meds?!?

As a parent with children in public schools, it is amazing what is required now to send a child to school.  Don't want to start a political debate but maybe we are a little too paranoid.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: What about the mass hysteria?!?! Flu not as bad as once thought?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
...maybe we are a little too paranoid.

Ya think?   :csm:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
We'll see how you feel when the next pandemic strikes.  Of course, a flu shot prolly won't be effective when that happens.

There is an increasing body of evidence showing that over-medication can be almost as harmful as lack of adequate treatment.  For example, large doses of antibiotics in very young children may permanently destroy beneficial GI bacteria.  Overuse can actually make them more susceptible to digestive diseases later in life.  And the good bacteria don't appear to regenerate later in life on their own.  A new therapy being tried is to re-introduce flora to the GI system, but it's a lot more complicated than just taking a few pills. 

I'm not suggesting that anyone should avoid the use of drugs and vaccines; just used wisely, especially the ones you buy on the street.  Yeah, it's that not too subtle touch of cynicism that gets me in trouble every time.  Right now, there is a huge market in opiate substitutes for people who became addicted to pan meds and other illegal substances.  The numbers are staggering.  I take a look at the numbers compared to the general population and figure maybe 1 in 10 people around me must be doped out on something. 

Not to worry, big pharma will likely be chuggin' along for years to come.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »
Uh oh. I have a slight head ache and a little tickle in my throat. I had better get to the store and load up on medications and make an appointment with my primary care physician to get some prescriptions!!!!

Or have a glass of water and relax.

I work with people who's primary care is the ER and convince themselves they have whatever ailment that new little blue, green, striped blah blah blah pill will treat.

It's not ALL big pharma's fault. We have attorneys and marketing firms fueling the stupid.

I'd better stop this before it gets political.

Coffee?
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »
I love coffee but it has lowered my tolerance for dumb.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »
Yes.

Sent from my ass via corned beef and cabbage.

― Frank Zappa

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
There's a difference between virus vaccination and antibiotics.
With antibiotics, the critters develop a resistance and after a while, the antibiotic doesn't work anymore. Antibiotics don't work with viruses anyway.
With a virus shots you develop the resistance to the strain of virus. That is the limitation of virus shots. There is good research being done on multi-strain virus shots and that could solve that issue.

Should you get a virus shot? Maybe. I've read a while back that you could eradicate some infections by giving shots to as little as 40% on a population. Odds are that with that many people having been treated, a non treated person would not meet someone infected and contagious.

And yes, coffee is good. Beer too.
Ride safe!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:32:06 AM »
I choose not to get sick.  It's worked so far.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:00:59 AM »
I choose not to get sick.  It's worked so far.

That's been my approach so far. It seems to be working. Really pisses Susan off though.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
Ugh.  This is more than a yes/no issue.

1.  Drug companies make almost no profit from vaccines.  That is why virtually no Big Pharma companies make them.  Targeted therapies have many orders of magnitude better ROI.

2.  Vaccinations have NO effect on normal flora.  They simply prime your immune response so that your body can mount a more effective response should you encounter the organism that you were vaccinated for.

3.  Because of markedly improved global travel, the public health world KNOWS that if an extremely virulent strain appears (and it is highly contagious), it wll envelop the world in days rather than months to years (like the 1918 influenza strain).

4.  Vaccination isn't just about protecting you, it's about herd immunity, since we know that far less than 100% will mount an effective immune response.  We just don't know who will still be at risk.

5.  The biggest problem with the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine is the lag time it takes to produce it.  Because the FDA requires flu vaccines to be manufactured in the old way (inoculated eggs), they have to guess which strains will likely be prevalent 6-8 months ahead of time.  It's like predicting the weather months ahead of time.  No too accurate.  There are faster methods to produce it, but the FDA has not deemed them "proven safe" yet.

Jenny McCarthy is a crackpot.  Emphasis on "Crack".   

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »
what the smart guy ^ said  ;)

it may not be a big deal to you or I, but to the grandmother we infect it may be deadly. 
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
it may not be a big deal to you or I, but to the grandmother we my husband, who all the people who "don't believe in a flu shot" may infect it may be deadly.

I don't *think* I have ever had the flu, maybe once or twice in the far distant past.  I get a flu shot every winter because ZED is one of those people who is debilitated by the flu, and used to get debilitatingly sick from the flu *at least* once per winter, until we started being vaccinated.
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Ugh.  This is more than a yes/no issue.

1.  Drug companies make almost no profit from vaccines.  That is why virtually no Big Pharma companies make them.  Targeted therapies have many orders of magnitude better ROI.

2.  Vaccinations have NO effect on normal flora.  They simply prime your immune response so that your body can mount a more effective response should you encounter the organism that you were vaccinated for.

3.  Because of markedly improved global travel, the public health world KNOWS that if an extremely virulent strain appears (and it is highly contagious), it wll envelop the world in days rather than months to years (like the 1918 influenza strain).

4.  Vaccination isn't just about protecting you, it's about herd immunity, since we know that far less than 100% will mount an effective immune response.  We just don't know who will still be at risk.

5.  The biggest problem with the effectiveness of the influenza vaccine is the lag time it takes to produce it.  Because the FDA requires flu vaccines to be manufactured in the old way (inoculated eggs), they have to guess which strains will likely be prevalent 6-8 months ahead of time.  It's like predicting the weather months ahead of time.  No too accurate.  There are faster methods to produce it, but the FDA has not deemed them "proven safe" yet.

Jenny McCarthy is a crackpot.  Emphasis on "Crack".

A voice of science.   :clap:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
I get vaccinated for two reasons . . . . .

One -- see whippy's post, above.

Two -- I remember polio.

Sadly, our local football team's quarterback's fiancee has blogged who she will not vaccinate the kids she has with said QB . . . some are following her lead, no doubt because sleeping with a pro football player confers some higher level of intelligence . . ..
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »

Two -- I remember polio.

Sadly, our local football team's quarterback's fiancee has blogged who she will not vaccinate the kids she has with said QB . . . some are following her lead, no doubt because sleeping with a pro football player confers some higher level of intelligence . . ..

Mmmm.......sugar cubes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »

Two -- I remember polio.

Mmmm.......sugar cubes.

LOL -- OK, knee  . . .are we related somehow?

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
Nicely said, Mr. Whippy.   :bigok:
A man with no sig

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Went for a ride.

Now I have the chills.

I need to call the doctor.

I think I have the flu.

I'm going to bed.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
<---  Still not sick.

Just picked my nose with my dirty finger to further boost my system.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
Went for a ride.

Now I have the chills.

I think I have the flu.

I'm going to bed.

Can I have your Speedy? You'll have to bring to me though.   ;)

Can I have your

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »
<---  Still not sick.

I'm betting you never wash your hands before eating too.  :willy:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
They get washed during my morning shower.  That seems to be enough.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »
They get washed during my morning shower.  That seems to be enough.

:thumbsup:

Fucking Japanese.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
Just as sick as ever
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Just as sick as ever

I'm betting you actually washed your hands with anti-bacterial soap when your mom told you to as a kid.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
I have lived an interesting life. I have had years of less than stellar hygiene <--(Ed, I used spell check. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink) and funky eating habits. Hell, sketchy food sources for that matter. Other than head coldish things from riding with my visor up in pretty cold weather, that I treat with Alka Seltzer Cold for a day just to get my sinuses back in shape, I rarely get sick.

No flu shots. No anti bacterial blah blah blah. Just common sense (only a moron doesn't wash their hands after wiping their ass).

Should be dead by Friday.

― Frank Zappa

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

Should be dead by Friday.

Sad. Only the second day of spring too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
Went for a ride.

Now I have the chills.

I think I have the flu.

I'm going to bed.

Can I have your Speedy? You'll have to bring to me though.   ;)

Can I have your

I'm still alive pall.  :twofinger:

Every day is my birthday

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 09:07:35 PM »
<---  Still not sick.

Do you clean your finger after you wipe your ass.

Every day is my birthday

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
Ahhh yes, Germophobia! I do have to laugh about it.  We've become so sterile...that natural resistances are starting to take a backseat.  Geez, share a toothbrush?  Heavens forbid...but wait, Frenching, Tonguing, Fellatio...all that's good, right? 

I do get my flu shot each year - and I'm fully vaccinated through Hep C (*travel to Africa, Hunting).  Mostly though it's because I work in Healthcare and visit no less than half a dozen different hospitals a month. 

By my math, if it's out there I've probably come in contact with it. 

Does that make me healthier...or less?  I dunno.  I haven't had the flu in the past 4 years and it's allergies that kick my ass not the common cold. 

My wife didn't get a flu shot...and spent 6 days hammered with the bug late last year.  I didn't get sick.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 05:09:11 AM »

<---  Still not sick.

Do you clean your finger after you wipe your ass.

I already said I take a shower every morning.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:43 AM »
I woke with a cold this morning.

Frack.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

― Frank Zappa

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »
I woke with a cold this morning.

Frack.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

:(

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
Feel a lot better than last night but it's still going to be an indoor day.

Every day is my birthday

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
Pot siring in 3,2,1...

I am all for personal rights and individual freedom to choose, but as an employer, even though I provide PTO days for sickness (which people refuse to use with colds) should I be able to make all employees get a flu shot?
If they get sick they infect my whole staff and I lose massive productivity.  I have a lot to lose.

They don't have to get the shot - they can just work elsewhere... 

In other news  I know a little about the industry and Whippy is correct (again)- vaccinations are very bad business -high liability and very low profit. 

Diabetes, Cardiovascular, AIDS, Hypertension, Depression, obesity - chronic issues that can be well managed with small molecules were the place to be.

Cancer is ok because the risk reward ratio is very different - the drugs only have to sort work a bit and safety is not an issue so they may be very profitable.

Infectious disease and rare orphan diseases - not good business.

These areas are also falling out of fashion.  Exotic biological solutions that can not be easily duplicated by the kilo as generics are the future as it stands today.

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
Pot siring in 3,2,1...

I am all for personal rights and individual freedom to choose, but as an employer, even though I provide PTO days for sickness....

I'll bite. Other than motorcycle related injuries; I'll bet I haven't missed more than 1 month's worth of time at work in the past 50 years. And as I've stated before here and elsewhere, I haven't had a flu shot since I left the military in 1981, and never had the flu. On the flip side, my SO, Susan, has a a very weak immune system. She only worked a half day today because she ate something that suddenly caused defecation and diarrhea.

Stop grouping everyone into your preconceived ideas.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »
For anecdotal evidence ( :bigsmile:) I missed the flu shot last year.  I teach.  I got the flu two days before Christmas (confirmed via test).  It kicked my ass- I wouldn't wish it on anybody.    :crazy:  I haven't missed a day since.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
Maybe I'm having an off day. Perhaps this should be in the rant thread...

If they get sick they infect my whole staff and I lose massive productivity.  I have a lot to lose.

I'll be on the sideline with a firm issue: PROVE that their sickness caused your whole staff's infection.

None of us are getting out of this world alive, we're all going to die, we're all going to have "downtime" while we're around.

If you're looking to have no outside issues for your business continuity plan... Have you moved your business off of planet Earth for when the Yellowstone Caldera blows, we'll either be extinct or seriously hampered as a world society - you won't want your business to be affected by that.

I hit post - I feel better - thank you. Move along, nothing to see here...
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Just as sick as ever

I'm betting you actually washed your hands with anti-bacterial soap when your mom told you to as a kid.

Nope.  I was professionally acquainted with a person who developed a lot of the early soap formulations, and I did author a brief on why we shouldn't bother to use the stuff for routine hand washing, although I do believe it is effective in controlling certain types of Acne. 

Moving on...

Nearly half of Americans subscribe to a medical conspiracy theory

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 12:27:49 AM »
Good responses so far.   :thumbsup:

I have had the flu 6 or so years ago. It kicked my butt for 5 or so days.  Was it enough to make me get the flu shot every near? No. 

Yes, it is an advancement in science that we have a "flu shot" available and that the elderly, young and others with health issues can be somewhat protected but the reason I posted this was to open people's minds that the flu may not be that bad for people with average immune systems.