Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top 10 cheapest bikes...  (Read 2290 times)

Offline doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
Top 10 cheapest bikes...
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
I haven't heard of all of these but some of them sure look fun!

http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/top-10-cheapest-street-legal-motorcycles-2014.html/11
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
Re: Top 10 cheapest bikes...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
The first question for me is; are they available in the U.S.? A couple of brands I'm familiar with, Suzuki & Hyosung obviously. I think I recall reading about Cleveland somewhere. I'm really surprised Hero wasn't mentioned.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
I'm surprised Italika didn't make it anywhere on this list.

I wonder what the criteria was to make the list?

IBA: 63413

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
Cheapest to buy is not necessarily the cheapest to own.  I wish that motorcycle magazines would catch up with car magazines in terms of researching and listing the total costs to own for each bike.  Why is it they rarely list such things as servicing schedules and labor hours; insurance perspectives; depreciation estimates; and other costs that impact a rider directly?  MSRP is only one part of the puzzle and becomes less important if you are also considering used bikes.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Cheapest to buy is not necessarily the cheapest to own.  I wish that motorcycle magazines would catch up with car magazines in terms of researching and listing the total costs to own for each bike.  Why is it they rarely list such things as servicing schedules and labor hours; insurance perspectives; depreciation estimates; and other costs that impact a rider directly?  MSRP is only one part of the puzzle and becomes less important if you are also considering used bikes.

vast majority of m/c owners don't ride them enough for those factors to play a part in their decision. I believe KBB annual mileage for motorcycles is around 3,000?
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
I was in our local Harley dealership a few years back and a kid wanted to trade in his Triumph for a new Harley.  They told him that anything over 1700 a year was excessive for a trade in.  :facepalm:

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »

vast majority of m/c owners don't ride them enough for those factors to play a part in their decision. I believe KBB annual mileage for motorcycles is around 3,000?

I was just looking at a chart last night.  It varies by size and bike type.  750cc and up touring models are the highest expected annual mileages and more than 3,000.  I don't remember exact figures.