Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building Up The Experience  (Read 3068 times)

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
Building Up The Experience
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Jeanne seems really taken with riding on the 'busa. Doesn't seem to bother her on the three 45 minute or so rides so she's interested in longer rides.

For instance:

April - Ride to Albuquerque (about 6 hours) for a long weekend.
June - Ride to Glacier National Park then Jasper/Banff and back for a week long trek.
August - Ride to Indianapolis for GenCon then to Oklahoma and back to Denver for a 2 week (ish) ride.

For build up, I'm taking her for a 2 hour ride up to Cameron Pass with options to continue to Walden (another 30 minutes), then up through the Snowy Range to Laramie Wyoming (another 2 hours) and home (for a roughly 6-8 hour day). There'll be several checkpoints throughout the day to check her condition and just as importantly, my condition.

The following weekend I was thinking of a ride west on 70 to Glenwood Springs. It's a longer ride and more like the Indianapolis -> OK -> Home ride in August except not as hot.

We'll do a couple more day rides and perhaps a weekend trip out to Grand Junction, down to Montrose, through the Million Dollar Highway and then back through southern Colorado.

The lead up rides are as much to make sure she's comfortable on the ride and with my riding style (or as comfortable as you can be :) ) and to make sure I'm comfortable with having someone on the back of the bike for hours and days.

A few folks have asked if I have headsets so we can chat. My reply is along the lines of not wanting the distraction of chatter, at least initially and when I mentioned it to her, she said "why chat, we can chat when we get gas" :)

Currently she's using my track helmet. It's not a perfectly snug fit but you can't pull it over the front of her head so it's good enough for now. I said that before the April trip, she'll want to get a helmet that fits. She also bought deerskin gloves when we were at Home Depot yesterday.

Saturday will be an interesting ride for sure :)

Carl
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 No matter where you go, there you are.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Re: Building Up The Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
Hey Carl,
Sounds like the Mrs. is wanting to trade out her mesh for something different. Bought it last year, and used like twice. I'll be putting up a for sale in the next couple days, but it sounds like you might have need (and shipping is nil of course).
Leanintree
Great googly-moogly!

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Concours, 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
Actually Rita left her jacket so unless you're talking about pants, we're good there :)  But thanks!

Carl

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
Very cool man- I'm happy for the direction things are going for you!   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Jeezus Carl, the girl wants to ride, help the poor girl out already.  :bigok:

Get the intercom, being able to talk is the shizzle.
 I held out for years, "I don't need no stink'in comm. system". Guess what, I don't ride without one now.

Break her in on the Busa, if your having fun and enjoy two-up riding, get one of these.. :bigsmile:

A '08-'09 C14  with low miles can be had for a song, a great two-up bike.
Almost as fast as your Busa and very, very comfortable.

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Already talking about the concourse :) But it depends on how things go. Neither of us are in a hurry. We've both been in not good situations and are exploring. I've jumped in too quickly before and been burned more than once. If things work out with the riding and two up, then I'll likely pick one up. I did enjoy the test ride I took on one but it wasn't _quite_ the 'busa.

And we're both on the "no need for an intercom" for now bandwagon. :)

Carl

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
And FYI, the April bike ride was _her_ idea :D

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
And FYI, the April bike ride was _her_ idea :D

Carl

That's good that she's wanting to expand her horizons and especially good that she's exploring new territories with you. :thumbsup:  I'm really happy for you Carl.

So what horizons are you exploring that are important to her?  :augie:
And I don't mean playing games you've never enjoyed or thought you would.  ;)

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Well she took me to a Jazz club for my Christmas present :)

It's funny though that even though I continue to encourage her to share her interests, mostly they seem to be around her kids, her pseudo-kids (room renter is young with lots of friends in the house; neighborhood mom type), and reading. She doesn't watch much TV, we're currently watching Walking Dead DVD's though. She does watch movies. She has done some board gaming. She reads (has a kindle). And goes to the gym. She has spent the past few years after her separation getting a Masters in IT. She was dating before me but off and on. It may be that she's finally gotten to having more idle time and I happen to be Right Person, Right Time.

I joke that she's been activated as a clone of me by the NSA to keep tabs on me :D

Carl

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »
SENA SMH-10.

Not sayin'.  Just sayin'
IBA: 63413

Offline I'm NOT Carl

• Weirdo Freak
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
I already have an Autocomm unit. The headphones work fine but the mics are toast. I'd need to revamp the gear and make sure it all works before trying to get everything hooked up.

And still, at least at the moment, we're good without intercoms. Give it time. She may want to, she may not want to. Hell, she may not want to ride more than around town vs short to long trips. Let's get past that before we start replacing motorcycles and buying a bunch of gear :D

Carl

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:37:53 AM »
I already have an Autocomm unit. The headphones work fine but the mics are toast. I'd need to revamp the gear and make sure it all works before trying to get everything hooked up.

And still, at least at the moment, we're good without intercoms. Give it time. She may want to, she may not want to. Hell, she may not want to ride more than around town vs short to long trips. Let's get past that before we start replacing motorcycles and buying a bunch of gear :D

Carl

Very wise approach Carl.  :thumbsup:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
The beautiful thing about having helmet comms is that they are there when you really need them.  Things like "I'm about to puke, pull over now!!!" just don't translate well with helmet taps and thigh squeezes.  I certainly understand the need to get into your own headspace on a ride.  Remember,  just because you have comms installed, doesn't mean there has to be non-stop chatter.