Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: bypassing Chicago  (Read 5155 times)

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
bypassing Chicago
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
Any thoughts on how to bypass Wrigley Field on my way from St. Looey to Grand Rapids?

The most direct route on Google maps is 495 miles. I don't mind adding an additional 100 miles if it will keep me away from the madness on a Friday afternoon.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Washington,+MO&daddr=Grand+Rapids,+MI&hl=en&sll=40.258569,-88.374023&sspn=3.776709,8.448486&geocode=FZtZTAIdCEST-inXU8czgU7ZhzHVLn4xtQcl3Q%3BFaCRjwIdCs_k-ikVKFC7YFQYiDHQqNMby6qTpQ&oq=grand+rapi&mra=mru&t=m&z=8
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Re: bypassing Chicago
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:44 PM »
Your route doesn't take you anywhere near downtown Chicago.  80/94 stays way south of the City proper.  Indiana will suck, but that's it's job.  You'll be fine.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
Your route doesn't take you anywhere near downtown Chicago.  80/94 stays way south of the City proper.  Indiana will suck, but that's it's job.  You'll be fine.

I hear you. Ever tried Grand Army of the Republic Highway at 1500-1700 on a Friday?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
As a long time Rockford IL person (though not terribly informed on "south side" traffic), I'd consider routing up through Champaign IL on I-57 then jump east on a state highway somewhere around Kankakee IL over to I-65 northbound. Perhaps consider routing through Watseka???

Deal breaker would be how traffic choked I-80 between I-57 & I-65 would be.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
I-70 to Indy, US-31 (two lane, divided hwy) north to South Bend, then get on I-96.  500 miles/8 hours.
--Tom

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
 :popcorn:

As a long time Rockford IL person (though not terribly informed on "south side" traffic), I'd consider routing up through Champaign IL on I-57 then jump east on a state highway somewhere around Kankakee IL over to I-65 northbound. Perhaps consider routing through Watseka???

Deal breaker would be how traffic choked I-80 between I-57 & I-65 would be.

No offense Jim but you have no cred wrt guiding a rider thru or around a large metropolitan area.  :-*

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »
I-70 to Indy, US-31 (two lane, divided hwy) north to South Bend, then get on I-96.  500 miles/8 hours.

This.  We took this home on a SS1000 from here to St Louis (for ribs) and back.  Nice ride, light traffic.

Although as mentioned, you'd be way south of Chicago, so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

^She knows! 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Trapped!
    • Da Blog!
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »

This.  We took this home on a SS1000 from here to St Louis (for ribs) and back.  Nice ride, light traffic.

Although as mentioned, you'd be way south of Chicago, so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

^She knows!

Friday afternoon?  I-80/94 will be screwed.  BTDT, got the sweaty t-shirt from sitting in jams to prove it.  Avoid.
--Tom

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
I didn't hit much traffic in Chicago on my way to or from Janesville, WI when we picked up the Speedy! My buddy told me to avoid going through Chicago, but I'm glad that I didn't listen to him & chanced it! Some are obviously not as lucky!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »
Friday afternoon?  I-80/94 will be screwed.  BTDT, got the sweaty t-shirt from sitting in jams to prove it.  Avoid.

Depends on the exact time of day.  If he's leaving St. Louis in the morning, he should be in that area in the early afternoon.  It should NOT be a problem then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:01:29 AM by jadziadax8 »
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »

Depends on the exact time of day.  If he's leaving St. Louis in the morning, he should be in that area in the early afternoon.  It should be a problem then.

I understand what you're saying.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
It's only traffic. Deal with it.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
It's only traffic. Deal with it.

+1. Or avoid it!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:02 AM »

Depends on the exact time of day.  If he's leaving St. Louis in the morning, he should be in that area in the early afternoon.  It should be a problem then.

Sorry.  Major typo in my original post.  As long as you make to Indiana before 3:00 pm, you should NOT have a problem with traffic.

My Other Hobby

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »

Sorry.  Major typo in my original post.  As long as you make to Indiana before 3:00 pm, you should NOT have a problem with traffic.

Since they finished the Borman and the I65 interchange I have seen a vast improvement in traffic flow. It may slow up but it isn't the parking lot it was before. I remember back in the days it could take 3 hours to get from Chesterton In. to the Ill. border.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Once you get to Indiana (if you're on the bike and not in too much of a hurry), take 12 to Red Arrow to Blue Star, and then hop on 196 north of South Haven (maybe at North Shore Rd) as suggested. I ride to and from South Haven from north of CHicago about 6-8 times a year, and that's a decent route to avoid the expressway and take some sweepers and minor twisties at speed.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.