Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Helmet longevity opinions...  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Helmet longevity opinions...
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
After spending the last couple of weekends shopping & trying on helmets for my fiance, the life expectancy of a non-crashed in helmet raised some questions. I was always told & under the assumption that the life of a helmet is 5 years. After 5 years you should replace a helmet even if it has been dropped, crashed with or after receiving a hard impact because not only does the insides start to break down but certain shells(depending on what they're made of) lose their strength as well.

After speaking w/ a Shoei & a HJC rep at one of my local Triumph dealers, they said that a helmet should last or be okay for 10 years. Even if you drop it on the ground from say the height of the motorcycle handlebars. They also said that most helmet manufacturers come w/ a 5 year warranty & when asked why only 5 years, they said that the helmet manufacturers are hoping that you'll replace your helmet w/in a 5 year period.

What are your thoughts or opinions on this matter? How long do most of you keep a non-impacted helmet? I've always replaced a helmet after 5 years or after I've crashed in them. Is that just silliness?

Thanks in advance for any input! I apologize if I'm bringing up a subject that's been played out before. Cheers
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
Re: Helmet longevity opinions...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
IMO ten years is OK, if you store it indoors in a cool dry place.  The reps you talked to, IMO, were very honest and truthful. (amazing?)

Having said that I usually buy a new helmet every 4 or 5 yrs., mostly just because it's time for a change...
I still have most of my older helmets, and for shorter day rides I switch which one I'll use once and a while.
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
My helmet is 6 years old. It doesn't small too bad.  I guess it's OK for another 4 years.

When it gets so bad that I can't stand to wear it; it need replacing.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »
10 years is good if you don't leave it laying on the floor where your cat can pee on it.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
The oil from your skin affects the foam in the liner. It might be good for ten years if you don't use it much.
Ride safe!

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:53:37 AM »
My Shoei is in need of replacement. The liner is contracting-getting smaller anyway-and it doesn't fit my head as well as it used to. Is it 10 years old? No way-probably about 5.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 04:39:40 AM »
The liner in this Shoei is removable and replaceable, and maybe washable, though I haven't tried that yet.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »
Yup.  It's washable.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:07 AM »
I never replace a helmet sooner than 10 years.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
I don't think I've had one last 10 years? the usually get worn out on the inside and get uncomfortable. I think 5-6 is about normal for me. except for dirt bike helmets but the liners on them get washed after every weekend so they wear out faster.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »
After 5 years or so, my primary helmet has worn (shield mounting hardware - modular pivot mechanism) and the interior has packed down to the point it no longer fits as it did when new . . . . I replaqce it at that point, rather than following a calendar based routine.

We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
The way some people swap bikes I figured they just change helmets as well so the colors match.  ;D

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
The liner in this Shoei is removable and replaceable, and maybe washable, though I haven't tried that yet.

Did mine last year. Fits and smells like a new helmet.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,78698.msg1856692.html#msg1856692
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday