Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Thread  (Read 8048 times)

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
My 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Thread
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:21 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Taking me places…in STYLE.

IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
Re: My 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »
Right!  So, with 13,750 miles on the clock, five track days and an SS1k I thought I'd run through my current list of mods.

On the Touring end of the spectrum:

1.  Gerbings style e-Vest hookup w/ Heat-troller
2.  Heated Grips
3.  USB Charger Port up front
4.  12 volt plug under the rear cowling for the Bel 95 radar detector…plus a Y-splitter & USB charger for IPhone (both fit side by side…)
4a. Marc Parnes Visual Alert for Bel 95 Radar unit.
5.  Spare Gerbings style e-Vest hookup up front.  (*useful for accessories like a GPS…)
6.  PDM60 solid state "fuse" block (like a circuit breaker - awesome!)
7.  2x Quad-Cree 3,000 lumen fog lamps (slaved for 30% power on low beam, 100% power on high beam)

On the sporting end of the spectrum…
8.  25mm GP Suspension cartridge emulators (*the BEST stuff!)
9.  Penske 8983 Triple Adj. rear shock w/ remote reservoir (rebound, compression and ride height)
10.  Arrow Works Titanium exhaust - no baffle (60mm input…58mm output diameter  ;D  and about 8# weight savings)
11.  Rexxer Chip Reflash
12.  De-flappered exhaust, full flapper assembly removed.  (3# weight savings)
13.  Shorai Battery (like 6# weight savings)

Bling-O-Riffic stuff
14.  Oberon bar end mirrors (probably saved a pound…)
15.  Mirror Mount Eliminators (gets rid of the ugly screw holes where the mirrors go)
16.  Custom Exhaust Hanger (self-made too!)
17.  "3-Finger" cheap knock off brake and clutch levers.
18.  Ram Ball Mount for GPS / IPhone mount / GoPro
19.  Cannisterectomy
20.  Left side Euro airscoop (needed to cover up the cannisterectomy)
21.  SpeedyMoto crash bungs
22.  De-stickered and De-reflectored the bike

Surprisingly, the OEM saddle is freaking GREAT.  I haven't changed it and won't.  It's comfy for 500 mile days without question and I have a lovely memory foam pad for SS1k type days. 

Other tidbits:  ABS seems to go off a little early, but it's pretty decent overall.  The only time I notice it in a negative light is on the track.  Yes, it's switchable but I'm a huge believer in it.  I've also become a fan of Traction Control - I never thought I'd say that but it's something that can help exactly when it's needed.  The ABS and TC is one of the reasons I bought this bike. 

Favorite luggage:  Day to Day:  Bags Connection Reverse mounted as a tail bag.  For Touring:  Wolfman Wolf Tail is good for two night trips…I also have a Wolfman Mini-Beta Bag for long tours (*TBD).

So far, with the exception of Maintenance, I love this bike!

Favorite Tires:  Metzler M5's for feel and performance…but I barely got 2k out of them and they messed with the traction control.  I still loved the way the felt...

Current Tires:  Michelin Power 3's.  Damn fine compromise!  A little less twitchy than the Metzlers but should get 4k of life out of them.  I can live with these tires quite nicely for the long term.  They warm up fast, turn in is just a bit slow (not a bad thing on a sub 400# wet bike with aggressive steering geometry).  Stick is good enough to drag the shifter and foot peg…both of which happen long after the knee hits the deck.  Plenty of feedback.

Tires I hated:  Micheline Power Pure's.  What a shitty feeling tire…I got 4k out of them but I should have pitched them sooner.  They sucked from mile 1 and simply got worse.  Hyper sensitive to pressures.

Any unusual wear?  Yeah, the rear brake pedal rattled off.   :angry:  Got the bike teched for a track day anyhow.   ;D

I'll be up for the 15k maintenance in about 3 weeks…I've been quoted some scary prices…$900-1100.  Piss on that then.    I'll have to nut up and figure it out the hard way. 

All in all, one of the BEST riding purchases I've ever made.  What a fantastic bike that's a constant head turner.

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the great writeup! 

I have a bad itch for a Duc, very bad!

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
I thought I'd post a quick update on my suspension.  I rode the Fast 400 yesterday and the new bingers absolutely felt fantastic!  I was concerned that the setting I'd used on the track would be too stiff but the compliance afforded by the 25mm cartridge front and penske 8983 rear was phenomenal.  At no time did it ever feel harsh or punishing. 

No, it wasn't as plush as my old GS but then again the GS could never handle with the precision the Monster does.

Well worth the money I put down!

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »
See... I know this guy, eh, who can maybe help you through a Ducati maintenance. Issa not sucha a bad theeng...

Particularly after doing a BMW maintenance.

:couch:
Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:45:58 PM »
See... I know this guy, eh, who can maybe help you through a Ducati maintenance. Issa not sucha a bad theeng...

Particularly after doing a BMW maintenance.

Hmmmm, I have beer…   :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

PS:  BMW maintenance was JOY compared to Desmo's!

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

BMW maintenance was JOY compared to Desmo's!

Not when it comes to clutches.....

Don't know how similar your Monster is to the ST4/748, but checking the valves on a Desmoquattro is pretty easy actually. Adjusting them is more tedious, and the shims are pricey. Not as bad as V-TEC though. I'm sure there's a thread about it on a Ducati site somewhere though I would be happy to drink your beer, and cheer you on.

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
True on the BMW clutches.   :rolf:  I've replaced clutches, final drives and my favorite:  primary output seal (ugh!).  I just love that it takes 4-6 hours just to get into the clutch area.

The Monster is a 2v motor - not the Quattro style.  Arguably this is much easier as there are half as many valves to adjust.  Still, it's the closer valve measurements that are difficult for me…

I'd welcome your company!  January Beer and BBQ / Valve Adjustment event?  :)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2001 Ducati ST4; 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
Is it time to change cam tensioner belts too?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not know the difference. -Anonymous

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
True on the BMW clutches.   :rolf:  I've replaced clutches, final drives and my favorite:  primary output seal (ugh!).  I just love that it takes 4-6 hours just to get into the clutch area.

The Monster is a 2v motor - not the Quattro style.  Arguably this is much easier as there are half as many valves to adjust.  Still, it's the closer valve measurements that are difficult for me…

So the evo is more like the 900SS then. Easy-peasy. You'll need one of these if you don't have one already.

Jan is good as long as it's not storming. If it's storming I am working 12hr night shifts.

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »

So the evo is more like the 900SS then. Easy-peasy. You'll need one of these if you don't have one already.

Jan is good as long as it's not storming. If it's storming I am working 12hr night shifts.

Right, stormy days:  skip the beer and go straight to Scotch then?

(The crank "turner" - yep, it's on order.  I also have a full shim kit and a couple other goodies.  CA Cycleworks is going to make a mint I tell ya.)

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »

Right, stormy days:  skip the beer and go straight to Scotch then?

Yeah that or red wine.

CSW are good folks. If you really want to get on their good side send 'em some of these.

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
Cadbury!  LOL!  I'll remember that.

In other news I put the new chain/sprockets/cover on.  I'm very pleased with the "black-out" look this achieved.  More importantly I'm really thrilled with how much better the bike runs.  Chain slap reduced, the bike feels much tighter and connected again.

Next up:  The Monterey Madness ride and then the great winter teardown…   :'(  Valves, Belts, Beer, Buddies…I suspect the day will look something like this:

:beerchug: :popcorn: :pokestick: :popcorn: :pope: :beerchug: :yawn: :beerchug: :smoking:

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:35:54 AM »
Oh, and I can also confirm that my Monster holds 3.53 gallons and can go a max of 163 miles on a tank.  46mpg on SoCal freeways at elevated speeds is pretty darn good. 

On the other hand I still ran out of gas.   ;D 

(Thankfully the gas station was only 100 yards away...still, it was an uphill push!  For those interested, yep, it sputtered once and died almost immediately after the sputter.)

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
Jan 1, 2014. 
15,500 miles.

Valve Check Time!

And after 8 hours of grunting and wheezing…I took it to the independent shop:  SBK Corse in Irvine.  Someone just remind me how not worth it it is for me to do the valves on this damn thing.   :bash: :bash: :bash:  SBK found two closer valves significantly out of spec and replaced them.

Still, I did do the belts, oil, bleed out brakes, bleed clutch, new rear tire, revamped my wiring for the foggies, etc. 

Results?  Damn this thing runs great!  I absolutely LOVE the suspension these days.  The rear Penske is so much better than the Ohlins I've run in the past and I flat out love the fork work!  I still have a bit more dialing in to do but it just feels great.

And then…

I had a shelf collapse in the garage dumping a half dozen folding chairs on top of my bike.   :willy: :willy: :willy:  Cracked one gas tank panel slightly and broke off a mounting tab on the left side plastic tank.  /sigh.  Not bad really but still very annoying. 

Ok, so here's my 15k review of the bikes negative points:

1.  I can't do the fewking valves.  I get it conceptually but damned if I don't lack the dexterity to pull this one off. 
2.  The paint is thin and scuffs easily.  Putting a tank bag on the bike is a guarantee for instant scratches. 
3.  Fuel range is annoyingly small.  It really does impact touring duties and touring range.  I'd need at least 1.5 gallons of spare to really go where I want to go.

And…well, that's just about it really.  The power, the handling, the electronics, the styling - all of that is just great stuff.  This is a bike I don't regret purchasing in any way!

Offline M.Brane

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
 Looks like I need to find another reason to come drink your beer now.

The ST4 was a bit daunting at first, but once I got the hang of it the worst was the rear exhaust valves. Not much room to get in there. I just hope it doesn't develop the rocker flaking issue. That could get pricey. So far so good though.

Bummer about the shelf. I try to avoid storing hard/heavy things on shelves above the bikes for that very reason this being earthquake country.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »
I had a shelf collapse in the garage dumping a half dozen folding chairs on top of my bike.   :willy: :willy: :willy:

I'm amazed every time I see the crap people pile on "shelves". I made Susan take down the piles of books she had on a built-in shelf system that was pulling away from the wall at the top. Structural engineering appears to be a lost art.  :-*
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online BMW-K

• The Original ER6i Pimp
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
I had a shelf collapse in the garage dumping a half dozen folding chairs on top of my bike.   :willy: :willy: :willy:

I'm amazed every time I see the crap people pile on "shelves". I made Susan take down the piles of books she had on a built-in shelf system that was pulling away from the wall at the top. Structural engineering appears to be a lost art.  :-*

Actually, four separate supports pulled out from studs on an 8' shelf.  I thought I was over engineered to a fault on this one.  Apparently not.  Total weight on the shelf was less than 75#. 

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal.  Just one more story about the ride.