Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MOTOTENT... The Perfect Tent...?  (Read 13072 times)

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
MOTOTENT... The Perfect Tent...?
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
I want one...

http://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com

MOTOTENT, the n°1 Tent for your Motorcycle travels

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: MOTOTENT... The Perfect Tent...?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
That is freaking sweet! You should get one! If I still had the GT I'd own one.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
MOTOTENT... The Perfect Tent...?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
That is freaking sweet! You should get one! If I still had the GT rode motorcycles, I'd own one.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »
That is freaking sweet! You should get one! If I still had the GT rode motorcycles, I'd own one.

& you call me a troll. If I still had the GT it would be because I was riding it & there would be plenty of room for the tent on it! I don't ride the Speedy & there is no storage space on it, in MY opinion. Example: if a camper says it sleeps 4-6 I say it sleeps 2. My hot tub is a 6 person tub but I wouldn't want any more than 4 in it. Awesome motorcycle tent!

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »

& you call me a troll. If I still had the GT it would be because I was riding it & there would be plenty of room for the tent on it! I don't ride the Speedy & there is no storage space on it, in MY opinion. Example: if a camper says it sleeps 4-6 I say it sleeps 2. My hot tub is a 6 person tub but I wouldn't want any more than 4 in it. Awesome motorcycle tent!

I never called you a troll. That was the other guy.

If you post every other week that you're done with motorcycling and keep on buying bikes and moto-stuff then flaunt it, I would call you something else. I'm too much of a lady to say such things however.

Camper, hot tub, blah blah blah. We get it. You have stuff.

― Frank Zappa

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
The tent however does look very cool.

― Frank Zappa

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »

If you post every other week that you're done with motorcycling and keep on buying bikes and moto-stuff then flaunt it, I would call you something else. I'm too much of a lady to say such things however.

Camper, hot tub, blah blah blah,. We get it. You have stuff.

Fine. From now on I will be nothing but serious if it makes you feel better. I don't have a camper. Read it again.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »

Fine. From now on I will be nothing but serious if it makes you feel better. I don't have a camper. Read it again.

You don't need one. You're always in your hot tub.

― Frank Zappa

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »
We don't use it much at all these days... used it all the time when we 1st got it though. I'm probably going to give it to one of my employees once it warms up enough to drain it.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
We don't use it much at all these days... used it all the time when we 1st got it though. I'm probably going to give it to one of my employees once it warms up enough to drain it.

Why? You no longer into hot tubbing?

― Frank Zappa

Offline motormike

• Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »

:rolf:

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
I'd be afraid my bike would fall on me in my sleep.  Good tent spots don't usually make for the best parking spots.

I think SuperSlider and his wife recently bought a tent like this one.  I wonder how it works in real world situations.

The bike wont be harmed by spending the night under the stars so I'm not sure I really see the point.  It does make for a nice big vestibule if you need to get out of the rain to cook or store gear, but a lightweight tarp will do the same and much more for less.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

:lol: :lol: maybe...  :bigsmile:  if I don't use stuff I'd just assume let it go to someone who will!

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »

:lol: :lol: maybe...  :bigsmile:  if I don't use stuff I'd just assume let it go to someone who will!

Pass the triple along to me then. You can afford it.

― Frank Zappa

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »
I'd be afraid my bike would fall on me in my sleep.  Good tent spots don't usually make for the best parking spots.

I think SuperSlider and his wife recently bought a tent like this one.  I wonder how it works in real world situations.

The bike wont be harmed by spending the night under the stars so I'm not sure I really see the point.  It does make for a nice big vestibule if you need to get out of the rain to cook or store gear, but a lightweight tarp will do the same and much more for less.

I'm with you on this Chris.  We ride in the rain the bike can sleep in the rain.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »

I'm with you on this Chris.  We ride in the rain the bike can sleep in the rain.

You both have valid & accurate points! I just think that it's cool!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:06:12 PM by Stripes »

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
a friend of mine has one for his beloved GS, say's it works great. But, you know how those BMW guys are ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
a friend of mine has one for his beloved GS, say's it works great. But, you know how those BMW guys are ;)

Corpuscular?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

:bigsmile:

Online SLK50

• Your life is what you make it.
  • Motorcycles: FJR1300, C-10
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
For those genuinely interested, Redverz has a similar tent
for about 25% less $.
A buddy has a Redverz and it works really well.
The vestibule is a nice place to hang out but the best part,
if you've ever camped in the rain, is you can bring your
bike ( or trailer, if you have one. ) inside to pack and
everything stays dry. 
At the very least, it provides a place to store your riding gear.
It's never too early to plan.
It's never too late to go.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »

Corpuscular?

something like that...
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »

:lol: :rolf:

Which means he'll be buying a new hot tub soon after giving away his old one.   :bigok:

To the OP- Andrew (XSPain) has/had one of these types (not sure if it was the same maker).  Last summer he used it over here at the BBQ.  It was sweet, but he was selling it for reasons already mentioned.  Plus it packs larger than a regular tent.  He said it was great if you needed to work on your bike in the rain.   :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Bigpoodle

• Motorcycles: 2010 BMW K1300S
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »

+1  Not sure I want 5 gallons of gasoline blocking the only exit from my [highly flammable] nylon tent, either. Not one of the alleged advantages of this rig cannot be duplicated with a big, cheap, lightweight tarp.

Offline rgbeard

• Motorcycles: '01 Triumph Speed Triple, '03 GSXR 1000
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
This wasn't what I thought the thread would be.

I thought the perfect tent was something a little smaller
IBA: 63413

Offline Superslider

• Motorcycles: 09 C14
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
I do indeed have the Redverz and the Mototent looks like a more expensive version of the exact same thing. I wouldn't say it's the perfect tent but it is pretty darn nice. The videos make it look free standing, it isn't. You have to stake it and use the guy lines or it won't work. Depending on the terrain you may need to get creative with the stakes, which while very sturdy won't penetrate solid rock. It's a little bulky when packed and I wouldn't consider it light but these are the only real issues up to this point.

Overall it seems like a well thought out quality piece of equipment. The setup isn't complicated but I'm glad I ran through it a couple of times in the backyard first. The break in voyage was late September at Shad's landing on the Md eastern shore. Our first night was filled with heavy rain and some wind. Everything stayed put and we were totally dry. I did wake up periodically worrying where those groaning trees might fall but no problems other than that.

The next trip was a mountain bike trip at Raystown lake in Late October. The first night we set up at a less than ideal spot in the dark. I had to poke around a bit to get the stakes in the rocky ground, not great with cold hands and a rock for a hammer. It was low 40's, we were hungry and set up shop in the vestibule. I have to say that may very well be the best part of the tent. It's not as "air tight" as the sleeping compartment so I felt pretty safe firing up the stove in there. The shelter from the wind, heat from the stove and full bellies made the usefulness of the vestibule a satisfying experience.

Next day we moved to a much better spot, flat, level and in the sun. That night the temps dropped and the wind really howled. The tent shook and flapped a bit but everything stayed planted and we were relatively comfortable. I don't know how well it would withstand gale force winds as it's somewhat slab sided but I'd probably be seeking other shelter in those conditions anyway.

If your carrying capacity is at a premium I'd consider other options but if you have the space I don't think you can do much better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Officially Superslider approved! :smiley_thumb:

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
I still think that it's awesome! Very cool Superslider!

Offline Superslider

• Motorcycles: 09 C14
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
It looks like the Mototent only has one door for the sleeping area. The Redvers has a rear door with a small vestibule as well. You don't have to climb over anyone when you need to make an emergency exit. I don't really care if the bike stays outside I just rode it in there to see how well it fit and for the photo op. Can you accomplish the same thing for less money? Sure, but at the end of a long day it's nice to not have to rig something up. That and Mrs. Superslider bought it.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline fourstring

• Motorcycles: Versys 650 LT
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »

+1  Not sure I want 5 gallons of gasoline blocking the only exit from my [highly flammable] nylon tent, either.

This and this.  Thinking about how hot my bike rides and STAYS for hours after I've shut down for the day, rolling a hot engine into a nylon canopy on top of a shaky kickstand on unlevel ground means I wouldn't sleep too well in this thing.

I may be too incompetent to own one.
For all the people that reside there, the center of the universe must be awfully crowded.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »
I picked up a used Nomad (very simlar design), primarliy to keep from having to dress laying down in teh tent, and having to crwal on my belly like a reptile to enter/exit my mobile abode . . .

the bike will likely not live inside, but it'll be nice to have a dry place to hang out in the rain . . . . .
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:32 PM »
I picked up a used Nomad (very simlar design), primarliy to keep from having to dress laying down in teh tent, and having to crwal on my belly like a reptile to enter/exit my mobile abode . . .

the bike will likely not live inside, but it'll be nice to have a dry place to hang out in the rain . . . . .

That's the only reason i will get one.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
standing up is becoming increasingly important as time passes ;-}
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
Because time never stands still.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Zixxerpilot

• Motorcycles: 2004 z1000
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
I've been eyeballing the Redverz, probably pull the trigger sometime this year , after we get the new house thing sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 11:14:33 AM »
Because time never stands still.