Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late Summer Vacation Advice  (Read 5068 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Late Summer Vacation Advice
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
This year is Sheri’s year to decide where to go for our summer vacation and we’d like to solicit your help.  I've received great advice from you folks in the past and have very memorable vacation moments thanks to it!

She is looking for a mountain type resort vacation where we’ll do more relaxing than vigorous outdoor activities.  Last year was my choice and went to Arcadia with a lot of vigorous hiking and kayaking. 

An example of what she’s looking for is what we did in the PNW a few years back which was we stayed part of the week on Mt. Rainier, Washington and did some moderate hiking followed by a very relaxing later part of the week at Cannon Beach, OR. 

Another criteria we have is to find a place which there are convenient flights from Charlotte.  That said, I have some potential FLIGHT destinations as follows:

(keep in mind, the city's listed below are the arrival airport cities, not necessarily the place we'll stay) 

•   Sacramento, CA (could visit Tahoe and Yosemite)

•   Salt Lake City, UT (could visit Park City and do a few days around Moab)

•   Montrose, CO (could stay in Ouray and do an overnight or two in Durango to ride the rail to Silverton and go visit Mesa Verde cliff dwellings)

•   Sante Fe, NM (see Montrose, only a bit longer drive)

Personally, I’m leaning towards Montrose because I’d like to spend more time in Ouray and Durango.  Salt Lake City / Park City is a close second place.  Because Sheri isn’t looking do to a lot of vigorous hiking, I’d like to save Yosemite for a later trip when more vigorous hiking is in the itinerary. 

Any intelligent thoughts from the peanut gallery?  I suppose Park City and Moab in the late summer wouldn’t suck. 

:popcorn: 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:30:16 PM by R Doug »
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Re: Late Summer Vacation Advise
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
http://skiwhitefish.com/summer/

Scroll.  Lots of activities if you want.  Spectacular views if you don't want.  Adorable town nearby.  This is where we had one of the most amazing days doing downhill mt biking. 
All the fun, almost none of the work.  Ride the lift back up and do it again.  Plenty to do without being extremely taxed if you so choose. 

One of our favorite places in the country is Stanley, ID but I'm not sure it meets the easy access requirement.  Redfish lake / lodge is pretty nice but Stanley is pretty out there and is more of a modern cowboy town w/ a
population of under 100 residents.  But it's got the cleanest air and water and it's nestled between the white mountains and the sawtooth mountains.  You might be pretty inclined toward strenuous activity though. 
On our 2010 trip, we generally stayed 2-5 days in most places with the average being three.  We were in Stanley for 15 days I think AND we were staying in a campground w/ no hookups.  Even that inconvenience didn't run us off.
I can send links to blogposts if you'd like to see pics of any of these places. 

If you do CO, try to make a trip down to Great Sand Dunes NP if you haven't been there.  Just west of the Springs, it's totally worth a day of playing.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
Glacier has been on our list for a very long time.  There are two areas to fly into from Charlotte (Calgary and Spokane).  Neither of which are easy to get to due to long layovers or multiple connectors.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
Personally I'd rather stay in Gunnison as opposed to Montrose. Smaller town and still easy access to everything you want to see. If you need any suggestions on what to go see, I'm here to serve.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
Personally I'd rather stay in Gunnison as opposed to Montrose. Smaller town and still easy access to everything you want to see. If you need any suggestions on what to go see, I'm here to serve.  ;)

Good point.  I should have clarified.  Montrose is listed because it's where we'd fly into.  I'd not stay one night in Montrose.  We'd most likely stay in Ouray.  :inlove:

The same holds true to Sacramento and Salt Lake City.  We'd not stay there, just fly in and out of there.   :smiley_thumb:

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »

Good point.  I should have clarified.  Montrose is listed because it's where we'd fly into.  I'd not stay one night in Montrose.  We'd most likely stay in Ouray:inlove:

The same holds true to Sacramento and Salt Lake City.  We'd not stay there, just fly in and out of there.   :smiley_thumb:

There's a new brewpub there in town with pretty decent pub grub to boot.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:14 PM »

A Mormon town with a brew pub!?  :lol:   SWEET!   :wings:

EDIT:  Oops.  I see you were referring to Ouray.    :redface:

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Re: Late Summer Vacation Advice
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
How about Jackson Hole? Neat town. If you go in September perhaps the crowds for Yellowstone might be down. Do a few days in town, then a few days at Yellowstone. Or visa versa.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »

A Mormon town with a brew pub!?  :lol:   SWEET!   :wings:

EDIT:  Oops.  I see you were referring to Ouray.    :redface:

There *IS* a brewpub in Park City if you go up the hill to the edge of town. The Wasatch brewpubs serves "Polygamy Porter (for when you're having more than one)". My friend bought the T-shirt. Squatters Pub in downtown Salt Lake is good fun too. There are a couple other brew pubs around I think. Been to SLC several times for ski vacations.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
How about Jackson Hole? Neat town. If you go in September perhaps the crowds for Yellowstone might be down. Do a few days in town, then a few days at Yellowstone. Or visa versa.

Actually, that' not a bad suggestion.  Thanks.

The only flight to Jackson Hole has a layover in DFW.  Total flight time is less than 8 hrs. 

:headscratch:  We'll need to consider this one.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
We enjoyed our time in Moab last May. Stayed in a nice clean VRBO place two blocks off of the main drag. Easy walking to pretty much anything in town.
And I'll repeat that this place:
http://www.slotcanyonsinn.com/
was pretty awesome and I'd stay there again if I get to that area (and have the budget)
It is the middle of nowhere as far as activities other than hiking are concerned.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline stew71

• Contributor
  • Hey...don't act like you're not impressed.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
Bear in mind that Tahoe gets pretty crowded during the summer as crowds escape the heat in the Sacramento Valley and the winds of Reno. Best times to visit are before Memorial Day and after Labor Day when all the damn kids go back to school.

But...you could also zip across the state to the north coast for a change of scenery while you're here. Fantastic views & excellent weather while the valley roasts.

And SF is just a day trip away for something really weird. And did I mention the world-class riding on the PCH?   :bigok:
With enough thrust, a pig flies just fine.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
We enjoyed our time in Moab last May. Stayed in a nice clean VRBO place two blocks off of the main drag. Easy walking to pretty much anything in town.
And I'll repeat that this place:
http://www.slotcanyonsinn.com/
was pretty awesome and I'd stay there again if I get to that area (and have the budget)
It is the middle of nowhere as far as activities other than hiking are concerned.

Slot Canyons Inn is it.   :smiley_thumb:

We've deceded to visit / hike canyons instead of mountains this year since we'll be spending part of next year's in the Alps.  (little excited about 2015, i must say!).

Anyhow, we've booked our room here for the first part of the week, we'll stay a few nights outside Zion to do some hiking, and cap the week of in Vegas. 

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
No hiking, but what about climbing?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »

Hiking only.  No climbing for us.  We did a little of that last year in Acadia where the trail forced us to a 200' exposure for 10 yards.  Sure, there were a few (i mean few) iron rungs.  It was the scariest thing I've ever done.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

Hiking only.  No climbing for us.  We did a little of that last year in Acadia where the trail forced us to a 200' exposure for 10 yards.  Sure, there were a few (i mean few) iron rungs.  It was the scariest thing I've ever done.

So this isn't on the list?
Angels Landing on Vimeo

Wasn't on ours either. I can fill you in on our hikes at Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion in two weeks.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »
So this isn't on the list?
Angels Landing on Vimeo

Wasn't on ours either. I can fill you in on our hikes at Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion in two weeks.

Hell no!

Sheri and I were watching videos of Angels Landing last night.  There's a part of me that wants to do it, but I know I'd be doing it without Sheri.