Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who rode today?  (Read 340422 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
Re: Who rode today?
« Reply #1950 on: September 23, 2020, 11:38:56 AM »
I live in Milw. (just barely) and very seldom go 'into' the city.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1951 on: September 23, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1952 on: September 23, 2020, 03:54:12 PM »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1953 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
Having been confined to rides of short duration due to my elderly doggo needing to be carried out to nature's toilet (e.g., the lawn), I've not had Ninjette Noire out for very long rides. 

And since it's been about a year since she entered my family, I decided to do a there-and-back across the Illinois border just to say we've been out of state.  Mostly a highway slog, but the comfort was there and so was the mileage. 

I think the Ninja 400 will make for a good highway bike once I can get traveling again.

I also discovered what Wisconsin did with all of it's concrete other than fix the roads in Milwaukee and the northern suburbs.  The interstate between Milwaukee and Chicago is a nice new concrete slab with four lanes in each direction. 
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1954 on: September 23, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
Did you toss your tolls or get an I-pass?

Actually, how are they doing the tolls now??  Since there's a coin shortage and no one wants to touch coins in the wild.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1955 on: September 24, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
Did you toss your tolls or get an I-pass?

Actually, how are they doing the tolls now??  Since there's a coin shortage and no one wants to touch coins in the wild.

I exited before the toll road started.  I really just crossed the border and returned home.

I probably need to get one of those electronic pass thingies when I can start traveling again--if I want to head anywhere through Chicago.  Toll roads bug me as a public policy.  There shouldn't be an additional fee to use the roads when I'm already paying taxes to build and maintain the roads.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1956 on: September 24, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »

I exited before the toll road started.  I really just crossed the border and returned home.

I probably need to get one of those electronic pass thingies when I can start traveling again--if I want to head anywhere through Chicago.  Toll roads bug me as a public policy.  There shouldn't be an additional fee to use the roads when I'm already paying taxes to build and maintain the roads.

FYI; you don't have to mount or even carry the I-pass on your bike.  It gets registered to your tag(s) and they video all vehicles going thru. 
I think you can register it to 3 vehicles.

I agree about tolls.  I most usually take hwy 45 down.  That was just resurfaced this summer!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1957 on: September 24, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip, no transponder would be convenient.  I took 45 back up, lots of nice asphalt.  I wound up behind a school bus for a while and thought it would be slow, but the driver was doing 10 over so it was ok.

One day I'll head into Chicago and look up some places because I'm a 5th generation Chicagoan.  I need to check the land titles because no one left alive remembers where my Grandmother grew up in Edgewater, and I think I know where my Grandfather grew up in Wicker Park, but I'd like to confirm the location.  My Great Grandmother grew up in Andersonville, so that might also be a fun place to look up as well if it still exists.  My Dad's family was all Northside and Cubs, but now there's hardly anyone left but a distant cousin or two.

It's kinda weird, but diesel fumes from old vehicles make me homesick.  And I grew up in the suburbs.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1958 on: September 24, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
The smells of farms remind me of years long gone.  I can tell if it is cow, pig, sheep, chicken or turkey.  Guess where I grew up...

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1959 on: September 24, 2020, 04:01:50 PM »
The smells of farms remind me of years long gone.  I can tell if it is cow, pig, sheep, chicken or turkey.  Guess where I grew up...

:thumbsup: Probably a more healthy scent.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1960 on: October 06, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
FYI; you don't have to mount or even carry the I-pass on your bike.  It gets registered to your tag(s) and they video all vehicles going thru. 
I think you can register it to 3 vehicles.

I agree about tolls.  I most usually take hwy 45 down.  That was just resurfaced this summer!

Negative Ghost Rider, they are discouraging the lack of transponder.  If you go through too many tolls without one, you get a nasty gram.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1961 on: October 06, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »

Negative Ghost Rider, they are discouraging the lack of transponder.  If you go through too many tolls without one, you get a nasty gram.
How many is 'too many' ?

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #1962 on: October 07, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »

How many is 'too many' ?

Five in one month, so if you go from Wisconsin to Indiana on the Tri-State or 355 without one, you'll hit your limit about halfway there in one trip.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1963 on: October 07, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
I was out from 11 - 6 yest.  Lovely ride meandering around the countryside, with many stops for pics.
LOTS of combines in the fields and on the roads - I slowed way down and pulled to the side for two that were going the other way.  I caught up to four of them going my way.  One of them, a new corvette was behind the combine and I was behind the vette.   When the combine turned off, I was ready to pass the vette, but he gassed it.  It was a straight, smooth, open road, so I thought 'WEEE, here we go!!'. But he 'only ' took it to 85 and started slowing down.