Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who rode today?  (Read 323251 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
Re: Who rode today?
« Reply #1900 on: March 12, 2020, 05:28:20 AM »
BAM!
First commute of 2020-first commute to this location-not the first ride of the year. 40° with 78% humidity but dry. High 50's predicted for the ride home.
New job has ample room for me to hang my gear ('kit' if you aren't in the Colonies).
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #1901 on: March 12, 2020, 06:33:21 AM »
BAM!
First commute of 2020-first commute to this location-not the first ride of the year. 40° with 78% humidity but dry. High 50's predicted for the ride home.
New job has ample room for me to hang my gear ('kit' if you aren't in the Colonies).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1902 on: March 19, 2020, 02:58:00 PM »
Practiced my Social Distancing. Blasted the TW around the back 5 track. Ground condition was perfect. Just the right amount of moisture, a little damp but had perfect traction. I pulled the KLX out after that and threw dirt everywhere and drifted most of the turns.  :squid:  Man was that fun.  8)  I could get used to this working from home shit.  ;D

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #1903 on: March 20, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
Practiced my Social Distancing. Blasted the TW around the back 5 track. Ground condition was perfect. Just the right amount of moisture, a little damp but had perfect traction. I pulled the KLX out after that and threw dirt everywhere and drifted most of the turns.  :squid:  Man was that fun.  8)  I could get used to this working from home shit.  ;D

Need to bring the KLX up next time.  :)  If we get proper internet, you could work from a somewhat more mobile home for a couple days.   ;D
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #1904 on: March 21, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
Think I'll don some long pants, knee pads (I don't have elbow or wrist pads), gloves and helmet. Then take out the e-bicycle for a bit of a slower "journey".

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #1905 on: March 22, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »
I did! 32°-38°, heated gear and sunny skies. Got my first impression of the new jacket. So far I like it. Nothing really annoying, workad as anticipated. Upgraded chest and back armor didn't impair anything, almost unnoticeable.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #1906 on: March 22, 2020, 08:35:34 PM »
I managed a 1.5 hour ride this afternoon. Cool and gray but not bad. If PA goes on lockdown mode then that might have been the last ride for a couple weeks.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #1907 on: April 06, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Pulled the Triumph out and did a quick twenty to go get a wyldkat photo tag. Just about got stuck in town. The bike wouldn't start after i took the pic. luckily had enough juice left to bump start it. Like who am I going to ask for a jump start these day's.  :facepalm:  Back in the barn on the tender now.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #1908 on: April 18, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »
I got out for 3+ hours today.  A bit windy for most of it, but close to 60 so pretty decent.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1909 on: May 02, 2020, 05:38:08 PM »
I was out for around 4 hours today.
70 degrees, so kinda had to!
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #1910 on: May 02, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »
I took the 530 for an afternoon of dirty fun. 70 miles of back roads to get to/from and about 100 miles of mostly dirt roads once I got there.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #1911 on: May 02, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
I did! Well I was on the back. First time since last September. It was glorious.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1912 on: May 11, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
I should have posted earlier- I took a 100 mile ride last week Monday doing some essential pickups, then another 60 last Friday- pre-surgery Dr's appointment and a couple errands.   It was wonderful.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #1913 on: May 14, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
It was about 60F, and so I rode around the countryside a bit.  The local hospitals aren't overcrowded (and I wore ATGATT).  I truly hope we've rounded the curve on this pandemic.  But I'm cynical.  So I'll keep up with the news before riding.

I've been out a few times earlier this year.  But now the weather is finally expected to become more enticing.  :D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1914 on: May 15, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
It didn't make it to 70 like a TV station said it would, but I was out for 4+ hrs yest.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1915 on: May 15, 2020, 09:06:40 PM »
It didn't make it to 70 like a TV station said it would, but I was out for 4+ hrs yest.

I should have asked earlier, but how's the recovery going? 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  --Douglas Adams

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1916 on: May 15, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »
T'was a nice summer's afternoon, so Ninjette insisted on a ride.  We took a short blast around the northern suburbs and countryside.  I filled up at a Costco, and there was a geezer older than I am filling his Aprilia, complete with a zippy, juvenile paint job, and an equally zippy helmet. Good for him, it'll keep him young. 

After heading home to walk the elderly doggo (more specifically, to carry him from the house to the patch of lawn that serves as his toilet because walking is getting to be very difficult), Ms. Noire wanted to run through town and hit up the spaghetti junctions because that is our new challenge since moving here.  I'm starting to feel comfortable on them.  At one point I was caught behind a left lane bandit, but when I noticed the bandit was going 74 in a 55 zone, I reconsidered whether I was the actual problem??   :o

A fun day!

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #1917 on: May 20, 2020, 11:15:09 PM »
Road to work today, usual down to the beach along the twisties and over the hill to work and back, nothing special.
Weather is nice though
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1918 on: May 21, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »

Sorry I missed this.
I won't go into detail (outside of Members Only, which is invisible to guests) but I'm 98%

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1919 on: May 21, 2020, 12:46:26 PM »
I got out for a cpl hrs yest. on the Ninja.
First ride on it since about Sept '18 - I transferred the plate and Ins. to the F800ST when I bought it.

The F800 is only 2 yrs newer than the Ninja, but it's got a LOT less miles, and a better suspension.
The Ninja feels, well, raw.  Bordering on harsh.  The BMW is way more confidence inspiring.

The Ninja engine is more fun - because the power ramps up at higher revs.  The BMW smoothly makes more power with more RPM.
Gotta give a nod to the Kawi transmission though.   It snicks thru the gears, going up or down. almost w/o thought (and usually w/o the clutch).  And it is way easier to get to neutral.  Like stupid easy.

The seat is flat out wore out.   Most of the 50K miles I did with a sheepskin.  That was lost when I lost the Scout...

I've got a used, lower mileage shock for the Ninja.  I guess I'll put it on, but I'm not expecting all that much improvement.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1920 on: May 21, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »

Sorry I missed this.
I won't go into detail (outside of Members Only, which is invisible to guests) but I'm 98%

:thumbsup:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1921 on: May 22, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »
I've been getting out for a ride almost every afternoon now.  Being retired is still great!

The weather is getting good enough that I'm tempted to ride the pedal bike in the mornings as well.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1922 on: May 22, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
I've been getting out for a ride almost every afternoon now.  Being retired is still great!

The weather is getting good enough that I'm tempted to ride the pedal bike in the mornings as well.
:thumbsup:

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1923 on: May 25, 2020, 03:45:14 PM »
I took Ms. Noire out for a short spin after her bath.  It looks like this upcoming week will present a lot of good riding weather.

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #1924 on: May 26, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
I got in a 240 mile loop yesterday. Went up through some tourist towns here in the thumb. Very strange not seeing them packed on a holiday weekend. Frankenmuth, our little Bavaria is usually bustling. I took a picture north and south on main street, not one car in either direction. I kinda felt like i was in Zombie land. Port Austin, on Lake Huron the State harbor had zero boats in it due to the shut down. The State camp ground was also closed. The County campground, well now that was packed.

Online nickybcareful

• Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada, Black
« Reply #1925 on: May 26, 2020, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi Gary.  I also got out for an afternoon ride.  The usual one that takes me on a 50 mile stretch along the Maumee River.  It’s about the only thing interesting in the flat lands we call Toledo.  Not much traffic and the roads were pristine.

Just as I got to Waterville (the beginning of the run), I saw a bunch of squad cars with their lights flashing.  Didn’t think much of it but when I crossed the river and picked up 65, there were a whole lot of fire trucks, police cars, and cars with their horns blaring, coming right at me!  Turns out they were having a parade for the graduating seniors who couldn’t attend ceremonies at their school.  Pretty cool.  It went for miles.  :clap:

BTW – I’m done with chain lube.  You know that pretty gold chain I was beaming about last year.  It is now a crusty gray/black as is my tire, rim, and most of the back end of my bike.  I’m sure yours is bright and shiny, but then you have a lift which I don’t!  :hail:

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #1926 on: May 26, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
That is cool what the communities are doing for the Graduates. In the small towns up here they are putting banners with their names and pictures on the street lights down the main streets.

My chain i am sure is in no better shape than yours.  :-\  Looking at it at the gas station on yesterday's ride i noticed it needs to get on the lift and be shown a little love.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1927 on: May 26, 2020, 10:43:59 PM »
I did ride today, and encountered the first hiccup with the new bike.  We were puttering along a two-lane keeping with the traffic flow when the lcd screen blanked, and the abs and check engine lights came on.  The bike rode as normal.  This lasted about 20 or 30 seconds, then the screen reappeared but the check engine light still was on. I pulled over and turned the bike off, then restarted, and the check engine light was still there. 

I returned home via lower speed roads, and have a message in at the service dept. of my favorite Ninja store.  I'm hoping its just a stray random voltage issue, but who knows.  The bike's still under warrantee.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1928 on: May 27, 2020, 03:18:09 PM »
I spoke with the service department, and they suggested first checking the electrical connections at the battery, and detaching & reattaching the leads.  I discovered that despite both screws being tight, the wires on the negative post were still loose.  Upon investigation, I had cross-threaded the nut, making the connections not so tight.  A trip to the hardware store provided a hex nut to fit the screw, which I had to file down to fit in the post.  All electrical is now secured, but the check engine light is still on. 

I think I'll fiddle with more tomorrow--maybe I just need to clear the codes or something like that?

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #1929 on: May 27, 2020, 06:16:50 PM »
My kawi exp is on older bikes, but some needed to be started, run 3 time to clear

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1930 on: May 27, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »
My kawi exp is on older bikes, but some needed to be started, run 3 time to clear

Thanks!  I found out that it's still that way.  There's a forum dedicated to Ninja 400's where someone conveniently posted the clearing instructions, along with a way to hit buttons in a specific sequence to display diagnostic codes on the screen, and a translation of those codes.  I'm going to try this tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day, or Friday.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1931 on: June 04, 2020, 08:50:07 PM »
Ms. Noire and I were loitering around the north exurbs when we came across a Harley rider in distress.  He had a low speed drop when his tire hit a curb while turning too tightly.  The rider was ok, the bike had minor damage, and, happily, this was within sight of a H-D dealership.  But it was a giant touring bike, two Good Sams had helped the rider get it upright by the time I arrived.

Online mr.awesome

« Reply #1932 on: June 07, 2020, 07:36:48 PM »
Beautiful day here. Got in 220 mile loop. I had to laugh. I'm standing behind the triumph leaning on the top box having a bottle of water at a gas station. I hear a bike pull up behind me and shut off. I turn around and it is 8 gold wings not just one bike. I said to them you snuck up on me. One of the guy's says yah gold wings have a tendency to do that.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1933 on: June 11, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
I had two reasons to ride today!  First was the arrival of a new seat for Ms. Noire that needed to be tested. And the second was that the winds were in the upper teens to twenty, and that's rare in southeast Wisconsin.  I feel a need to keep my wind riding skills in practice so it doesn't bite me when I ride the Northern Plains again!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1934 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:16 PM »
"Baxter," Ms. Noire cooed softly while I was doing a little maintenance on my bicycle, "I want to take you out to thank you for my new Norton seat."

"Take me out. Where were you thinking, Ninjette?"

"We both like Italian, and I'm in the mood for some spaghetti. So lets eat up all of Milwaukee's spaghetti junctions this afternoon!"

Well ... how can I possibly resist an offer like that?

After riding north for an errand, Ninjette and I hit the highways and gorged ourselves at each of the downtown and suburban spaghetti junctions. We then took the long way home to get dessert, via an exurban stretch that has a series of five tasty round-a-bouts in a row.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1935 on: June 15, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
Odd observation while out & about.  Holy Hill Road is in reasonable shape except for the area near the big Briggs & Stratton facility.  There, the road varies between haphazardly maintained and being allowed to revert to gravel.  It seems to me that with the known heavy truck traffic, the powers that be would have increased the construction standards for this stretch of road between the facility and the main highway. 

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #1936 on: June 23, 2020, 08:55:08 AM »
Due to the surgery, I'm still supposed to be a few days away from any riding- but we did schedule a trip up north for the end of August!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
« Reply #1937 on: June 23, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
Due to the surgery, I'm still supposed to be a few days away from any riding- but we did schedule a trip up north for the end of August!

I hope that you have a really good suspension and seat.   ;)