Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tactical Shotgun?  (Read 10060 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Tactical Shotgun?
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
I'm looking to acquire a tactical shotgun which I plan to use for home protection and for 3-gun competitions.  I'd like to know what you folks recommend.

Currently, I beleive I've narrowed it down to a Remington 870 Express.  If I'm not able to find an Express, I do like the Express Tactical with Blackhawk spec ops.  The Magpul version is quite nice too, but I don't believe it's worth the extra $$$ for me. 

Everything I've read about the 870 is it's bulletproof (no pun intended) and has a smooth action.

Am I headed in the right direction or should I consider something else in the mix?

Thanks.

Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Tactical Shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »
870's are simple, reliable and easy to find parts for in the event you beat it up pretty badly.

I have one in 20ga.  Look at the ballistics data.  The difference in energy between 12 and 20ga is surprisingly small.  12 ga will have more pellets per shell, if that's critical to you but the 20 ga has much less kick.

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
870's are great shotguns. personally all this "tactical" shit makes me laugh. get one with a wood stock and practice a lot then kick ass on all the guys with their "tactical" shit ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
I've only ever heard good things too but I went with the Mossberg 930 SPX.  Turns out, its my favorite gun.  Don't know if it's any better or worse than any of the others but I know it's a total hoot and it makes me smile uncontrollabley.
It's fun to look at and there are some pretty cool accessories available.  Not sure you need a quadrail on a shotgun but if you want one...   :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

stock is still not shabby...

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Benelli M4 tactical shotgun. I have an M1 tactical that I may sell soon. M2 tacticals are nice too! I've had Mossbergs, but will never again. I have 2 Remington Magnum Express', they're not tactical, but great guns! Good luck!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
In 1982 I was stationed on the good ship U.S.S. Dewey ...Ships Recreation and Welfare Committee
Chairman that I was had stashed 12000 rounds of 12 gauge #8 Hi Brass skeet shot and 2 Mossberg 500 34 inch ventilated rib barrels in the landing force locker for the impending 6 month deployment the the Med.

Folks get bored in the Pond.

Somewhere off the Coast of Beirut we were relieved of RADAR picket duty for the bird farm 200 miles out for 48 hours and we headed out for international water with a fresh load of steak lobster and 2 12oz beers for the crew.....Everyone went to standdown mode and 2 Gunners mates and I set the skeet throwers up on the Starboard bridge wing along with 2 Mossberg 500 Riot guns, the 2 skeet barrels and the ammo and clays.

Over the next 10 hours all 12000 (twelve thousand) round of ammo were expended out of 2 shotguns.... We burnt the bluing off the barrels.....We cooled the guns repeatedly in buckets of seawater.....we had 8 rounds cook off when chambered...(hence the seawater buckets)....

1 gun had 1 FTF as the hammer was so incrusted with burnt powder that it would not hit the firing pin with the required force.We stuck it in the bucket and swished it around alittle longer then usual. No jams....

Needless to say Under MY BED  and in MY CLOSET are 2 matching Mossberg 500 shotguns.

I have owned many Remington Winchester and Beretta shotguns....Loved them all. 

But when things go bump in the night I grab the 1911 and the Mossy.
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Good feedback so far everyone.  I'm taking notes.

870's are great shotguns. personally all this "tactical" shit makes me laugh. get one with a wood stock and practice a lot then kick ass on all the guys with their "tactical" shit ;)

For the most part, I agree.  If it weren't for the fact I'm wanting to use this for 3-gun competitions, I wouldn't really need some of the "tactical" components.  I couldn't imagine tossing around a gun with a wood stock like they do in these competitions and beating it to hell. 

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Good feedback so far everyone.  I'm taking notes.

For the most part, I agree.  If it weren't for the fact I'm wanting to use this for 3-gun competitions, I wouldn't really need some of the "tactical" components.  I couldn't imagine tossing around a gun with a wood stock like they do in these competitions and beating it to hell.

that would be sad... I just have a bad attitude toward the whole "black gun" movement. I think it has caused more threats to the second amendment than anything else. We have/will lose rights because of it and that pisses me off. all because of the morons, no different than the bad dog breed of the decade I guess, but it just irritates me.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
Just paint it with this.  Instant "tactical" status.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »
Mines a cheapo Norinco 870 knock off. Weighs a metric shit ton. If you hit someone with it, it will inflict more damage than 00 Buck.

Did I mention it's heavy as feck?

It's a Pardner Pump Protector.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/shotguns/pardnerpump.asp

Under two hunnert clams. :thumbsup:
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
I'll make you a really good deal on one of these.  Not very tacticool.  Might have 50 rounds through it. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Benelli-SuperNova-SteadyGrip-Shotgun&i=GM436374
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
What kind if deal?  The Nova is the one pumpgun I have no real experience with (other than sampling a few loads).  My go-to Turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 12 gauge.  It has a 10 gauge barrel which opens the shot up a little, then stabilizes it.  For long-distance tight patterns it can't be beat- at least not by anything I have tried, and I have tried them all.  Awesome for long-range geese and turkeys.  If the ranges are going to be decent I grab the 870 SuperMag every time.

I've had them all other than the Nova.  Both the Mossbergs and the Remingtons are good guns, but I'd take an 870 over the Mossbergs.  Remingtons tend to be a little tighter out of the package and a little bit better fit-and-finish.  As a hunter the clincher has always been the slug barrels.  My 870's always shoot tighter than my Mossbergs, a lot tighter.  I had a bead on a Marine Magnum from the cop-shop my BIL works at, but the officers snapped them all up. 

HTH. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
Ummm.....there is a gun forum. Isn't there?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »
I'll make you a really good deal on one of these.  Not very tacticool.  Might have 50 rounds through it. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Benelli-SuperNova-SteadyGrip-Shotgun&i=GM436374

Tempting.  But, I'd prefer something with a shorter barrel. 

Ummm.....there is a gun forum. Isn't there?

Quite helpful reply.  Thanks for playing. 

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
I picked up one of these last month used but new in box - never fired for $700
Remington 100 Tac 4

I still have not fired it, but I like how it looks and it makes me feel all extra manly when I hold it and look angry in the mirror.

Now I just need to figure out what to put on it for  sight - optics or a ghost ring?

I'm thinking some type of halo sight would get me some additional cool points with the mall ninja crowd...

You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:27 PM »
In 1982 I was stationed on the good ship U.S.S. Dewey ...Ships Recreation and Welfare Committee Chairman that I was had stashed 12000 rounds of 12 gauge #8 Hi Brass skeet shot and 2 Mossberg 500 34 inch ventilated rib barrels in the landing force locker for the impending 6 month deployment the the Med.

Fun read - thanks!
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
Mossy, Winnie, Browning, Remie:  it's hard to say which one is "best".  Each maker has a benefit in their design.  My personal favorite is the Browning BPS:  I'm fond of hte ambidextrous nature of the shottie and like the bottom eject.

Having said that, I have an 870 in the safe and an 11/87.  For my money I'd take the 870 out first.  It's just 100% reliable every single time.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »
Mossy, Winnie, Browning, Remie:  it's hard to say which one is "best".  Each maker has a benefit in their design.  My personal favorite is the Browning BPS:  I'm fond of hte ambidextrous nature of the shottie and like the bottom eject.

Having said that, I have an 870 in the safe and an 11/87.  For my money I'd take the 870 out first.  It's just 100% reliable every single time.

the BPS is my upland bird gun, a lot of people claim they jam easily but I've never had a problem.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
I just spoke with a guy here in my building who does 3 gun competition.  He said the Mossberg 930 SPX (as Bill previously noted), is a favorite of a lot of the 3-gun folks. 

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/bryan-hyde/gun-review-mossberg-930-spx-tactical-shotgun/

Seems to me, for the money, this isn't bad.  The only complaint I've read about it is this semi-auto does not like light loads.  I'll file that under the no d'uh category. 

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Tactical is used in 3 gun? I did not know that. I'm head to the gun store to hopefully p/u a M4 in 3... 2... 1...
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline RRdvark

• Motorcycles: In-between cycles at the moment so STFU about it
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
My daughter had the 870 Tactical in 20ga (16th b-day present) with the adjustable stock.  We've shot it quite a bit over the last 3 years and never had any problems.  I've never shot any other tactical shotguns so I have no comparison data though.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
My daughter had the 870 Tactical in 20ga (16th b-day present) with the adjustable stock.  We've shot it quite a bit over the last 3 years and never had any problems.  I've never shot any other tactical shotguns so I have no comparison data though.

the mechanicals of a tactical gun are no different than their hunting counterparts. an 870 is an 870 other than stock/sights ;)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

A decision has been made.

Mossberg 930 Blackwater SPX.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-mossberg-930-special-purpose-blackwater-spx-pistol-grip/85371

I can't wait to go shoot it.  As for now, it's trouble for any unwelcome guests.  They'll be met with 8 shot first followed by 00. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:10:53 PM by R Doug »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »
Good choice.  Just stay with high brass and all will be well.  :)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
Good choice.  Just stay with high brass and all will be well.  :)

That 8 shot I put in it will be interesting.  I need to take it to the range and see what it likes to eat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:21:56 AM by R Doug »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
So far the answer for me has been anything as long as it's high brass.  The semis don't do well unless there's sufficient snot to cycle the action thoroughly.  Let me know when you get a chance to put 8 rounds of 00 through her as fast as you can pull the trigger.  Then, the same drill w/ slugs.  :)  :)  :) 

That is a lot of lead downrange in a very little bit of time.  Love.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
LOL.  Would it surprise you to know that the Blackwater founder is a friend of mine?  I've known him since kindergarten.    :thumbsup:

Of course I don't think we've chatted in 10 years or so.  He lays pretty low these days.   :bigok:
Let's do some science.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 06:26:44 AM »
LOL.  Would it surprise you to know that the Blackwater founder is a friend of mine?  I've known him since kindergarten.    :thumbsup:

Of course I don't think we've chatted in 10 years or so.  He lays pretty low these days.   :bigok:

Small world.  The guy who owns the gun store where I purchased this knows Erik and was trained at Blackwater.  Perhaps that's why he had the Blackwater edition in stock?   :D

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is like bikes or not in regards to, "it doesn't exist without pics."    :)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
I would LOVE to get down there for a shoot sometime.  Not sure that will happen anytime soon, but who knows.
Let's do some science.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Come on down.  It looks like Shane may stop by in April.  Sheri and I can't wait.