Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You can fix ER6i's  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
You can fix ER6i's
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
Found a couple of how- to's online and decided to give it a shot since I was down to my last set. (This one lasted 5 years. ) Works good as new, but I had to buy one of those big magnifying glass third hand things to solder it. The side I fixed is in the black heat shrink. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Re: You can fix ER6i's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »
I have an old pair that the cable sheared on a zipper pull.  I trimmed the wires and tried to solder the cables to stereo plugs to reconnect them.   But the wires are so thin I just fried them without being able to mke a good connection.   I replaced them with a new set, but it won't last forever. I'd love to have a backup, because they sure don't make them like they used to, although I've heard the longer earpieces on the new ones do fit inside your helmet comfortably; just not sure i believe that.

Any tips on how to solder them?

"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
I used a very pointy 15 watt iron, and the third hand with magnifier. I added a little solder to wire first, so I didn't have to try and get that in there at the same time. It was just a 2 second touch with the iron and it stuck. visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Where am I?

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »
Thx - wasn't sure if it could be done successfully with a regular iron - I think I'll give it another try.

PS  Great job on repairing your buds - these things are the best - solid base and clear tones, so much better than average buds.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
If they are broke, you got nothin' to lose. Google "hacking er6i's" to get a nice pictorial on disassembly, and how to add larger diameter wires.
Where am I?

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
You can fix ER6i's
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:33 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 05:57:08 AM »
I always felt the only weak spot on the ER6i's was the cord. I have a pair I need to repair also. Just been too lazy to do it.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:16:32 AM »
Where am I?

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »
It's not the cord so much as the connection at the driver.  I've walked though the kitchen and caught the cord on a draw pull and they ripped out of my head rather violently.  The insulation was stripped from the wire but the copper did not break.

I've re-soldered mine a few times now.

I got a set of MEE M6's to try out this year.  The over the ear cord wrap seems to solve the issue of the plug falling out of your head at the worst time.  At $20.00 it's a cheap experiment.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
It's not the cord so much as the connection at the driver.  I've walked though the kitchen and caught the cord on a draw pull and they ripped out of my head rather violently.  The insulation was stripped from the wire but the copper did not break.

I've re-soldered mine a few times now.

I got a set of MEE M6's to try out this year.  The over the ear cord wrap seems to solve the issue of the plug falling out of your head at the worst time.  At $20.00 it's a cheap experiment.

Make sure to update us. Would love to find a replacement that works as well for $20.
Where am I?

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 08:07:13 PM »
I have two sets of Skull Candy Ink'd buds that work well.  Not *quite* as good as the er6's, but at $20 I'll take them.  I'd highly recommend giving them a try.  I commonly switch between the two.

"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »
I have two sets of Skull Candy Ink'd buds that work well.  Not *quite* as good as the er6's, but at $20 I'll take them.  I'd highly recommend giving them a try.  I commonly switch between the two.

I have tried them, but I needed to have them cranked to hear them which kind of defeated the purpose for me. Maybe if you could add triple flange tips to them they might work, but I haven't tried it. With the ER6i's I have the volume at 20-30%, the Ink'd I needed at 70-80%, but if my bike/wind noise was quieter, then they may work better.
Where am I?

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
 :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.