Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tank Panniers  (Read 6624 times)

Offline R6Chick

• H8KARZ
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer, 2012 GSXR750, 05 & 08 CBR1000RR, 07 Yamaha TTR150LE, Triumph T595 Daytona
Tank Panniers
« on: March 01, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »
Does anyone here use tank panniers? What brand do you use? What is thee carrying capacity? How do you like them? How do they perform? How do they handle wet weather?

Thx!

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Tank Panniers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
I've never used them.  If it doesn't fit in the other bags I don't need it.  But, I know when I had my Weestrom that Wolfman had a setup available.  All their products are high quality.

Online bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • Motorcycles: 03 SV1000s, 08 ZG1400
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
I was considering this for my KLR, but I'd like something that I can mount farther forward in front of my knees instead of under them, and they are kinda pricey.

http://www.tankvest.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
No experience, but I have wondered the same thing.  How they work and what one keeps in them.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
No experience, but I have wondered the same thing. How they work and what one keeps in them.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tools and parts. Keeps the weight forward.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline R6Chick

• H8KARZ
  • Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer, 2012 GSXR750, 05 & 08 CBR1000RR, 07 Yamaha TTR150LE, Triumph T595 Daytona
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »
I have been looking at
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html
and at
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=207

I will likely go with the 'stitch one's at this point due to the larger carrying capacity. I cannot seem to find any other options when searching online.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
I have the 'stich tank panniers and used them frequently with my R1100R instead of a regular tankbag. They held all the usual tankbag stuff but I didn't need to remove them to get gas. :thumbsup:

An unexpected side benefit was their acting almost like fairing lowers in that they deflected some of the airflow between the bottom of the screen and the cylinders. I found myself less wet riding in the rain with them than without.  Also :thumbsup:

I can't think of any real drawbacks except lack of a map pocket on top, but that was easily remedied with a bit of velcro and a clear plastic sleeve.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I say go for it. If you don't like them you can always sell them, give them away or add them to the pile of moto-stuff that we all accumulate when something seems like a good idea but doesn't end up working out as we'd hoped.
One day I plan to build a fort out of my stock of 'not quite the right one' tankbags. :lol:
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Like I said, forward weight.  ;)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »

But it makes it harder to wheelie.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

But it makes it harder to wheelie.

That's where skill comes in  :thumbsup:

Panniers seem to be more popular in Northern Europe; one type looks like a pair of chaps with cargo pants pockets that keep your knees and lower legs warm & dry.  While I admit they look very practical, they are obviously way too gay for the states.  May I have the half-pint tool case slung between the forks, please.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
I've got a set made by RKA (only made em for a short period of time) that are really close to the Stich panniers in terms of size and quality . . . . .

I use em on my KLR (they mount forward enough for my legs to tuck in behind) . . . hwile I used to pack my camping kitchen and the like in em, I had flashes of something solid (and pointy) impacting my (aftemarket) plastic gas tank . . .. now, I pack spare tubes and and long tools (tire irons and the like) to minimize puncturing the tank (which may be something I really shouldn't worry about).

Anything in the panniers that would suffer from moisture gets plastic bagged . . . . if you're on the fence, ATV folks have really inexpesive versions of the same thing ou could try out with little fear of spending lucre on something you wind up not wanting.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
I have a set of Wolfman tank panniers that my wife used back in '09 on our Alaska trip.  They really are great for carrying extra gear.  Even better is that I've found 1 gallon fuel cans that fit the bags, allowing me to carry two extra gallons of fuel if I need it.

In retrospect though, the Aerostich panniers are better.  Outer edge pockets for carrying pens, better zipper design and padded tank straps all make for a better product.  Albeit more expensive.
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »
We did tank panniers for one KLR trip, and one trip only…  They blocked too much airflow from my legs.  Hot air from the radiator pooled behind my calf and caused a nasty, blistered burn.
KLRchickie visitors can't see pics , please register or login

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »
My KLR came with tank panniers and I could never figure out how to mount them to the bike.
I'm not the brightest thing.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »

We've been trying to tell you that but you just don't get it.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline BMW-K

• Contributor
  • The Original ER6i Pimp
  • Motorcycles: F800GS, 765 RS, WR250R
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:32 PM »
We did tank panniers for one KLR trip, and one trip only…  They blocked too much airflow from my legs.  Hot air from the radiator pooled behind my calf and caused a nasty, blistered burn.

Owwww! 
IBA #:  20880
Damn.  Was that really a good idea?

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »

We've been trying to tell you that but you just don't get it.

True.  I'm not the brightest thing...

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 11:23:13 PM »

Owwww!

Very!

We were in the backside of nowhere when I decided my leg was just TOO uncomfortable and I looked & found the blister - which was slightly larger than our largest band-aid.  Wet cloth dipped in the creek & pinned inside my riding pants to make conditions somewhat livable....

I, personally, won't do tank panniers again!

'05 KLR 650 685 street 'tard, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R 125L, '06 TT-R 230
Rocky Mountain Motards, SuperMoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!!

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »
I, personally, won't do tank panniers again!
I guess it really depends on the bike and the weather conditions. I used tank panniers for a month in Mexico and never had a problem. I also had a set for the 1150 GS and again, no problems. Yes, they do block the air flow which can be good or bad  :)

I used mine for my camelback and some odds and ends. I found them handy, but didn't use them very often. If I didn't need much stuff then then tank bag sufficed. If I needed more room then the standard panniers came out and the tank panniers were just "too much".

At one point I did use the tank panniers as rear panniers and that worked out very well; the perfect amount of storage space!
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online KLRchickie

• Motorcycle Freak
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
I guess it really depends on the bike and the weather conditions. I used tank panniers for a month in Mexico and never had a problem. I also had a set for the 1150 GS and again, no problems. Yes, they do block the air flow which can be good or bad  :)

It probably also depends on personal leg geometry, I know mine's a bit whacky  8). My knees are "low" in my leg, which messes up fitment on a large number of bikes (Guzzi heads consistently bite my kneecaps...) and probably also helped place my leg in a HOT spot.

It isn't a problem you usually hear about, but seems worth mentioning for people to be aware of.  You know what they say about "once burned"...