Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Backup software- preferably free  (Read 2562 times)

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Backup software- preferably free
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
So there seems to be a bug with Windows 7.  In order to backup to a network location you need to have a password for your destination computer.  My Destination computer doesn't have a password, so I can't use Windows backup.  I don't have a password on the office machine- it's just a workhorse/backup unit.   :facepalm:

I need to backup my wife's laptop to the spare 2TB HD on the office machine through the network.  What are ya'll using?  TIA!
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
Re: Backup software- preferably free
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
If file based backup is fine (not a full image of the C-partition), then SyncBack Free could work...
http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

EDIT:

If you're looking for image backup, Macrium Reflect free is a nice Win app. Double-check the free limitations (not for business use IIRC):
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:11:52 PM by Jim »
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline satxbonneville

• Bailiff, whack his peepee!
  • Motorcycles: '04 Bonneville T100, '03 V-Strom 1000, '06 Ninja 500
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
How about just dumping it to a thumbdrive. They're very cheap now.

I may not know what I'm talking about.

Larry
VFRrider

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
My Destination computer doesn't have a password, so I can't use Windows backup.  I don't have a password on the office machine- it's just a workhorse/backup unit.   :facepalm:

Create a new user on the system(s): "Backup" with a password of "backup" or Maintenance/maintenance and your password issue might be resolved. Just don't bother logging in under one of those users (on a daily basis) - just keep it around for tasks that need a password (scheduled tasks are one).
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »
though not automatic (out of the box, so to speak), dropbox is free and convenient.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.