Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Goodbye Old Friend  (Read 3800 times)

Offline CosmicCowboy

Goodbye Old Friend
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Last night I defarkled the Strom. Well that mainly only consisted of pulling my top case and GPS. It was kinda tough to do. I told my wife that I changed my mind and was going to keep it. She asked if it wasn't a little late for that, which it probably was. So this afternoon I rode up to Kentucky and met the new owner. He brought along his 2007 FZ1, 12000 miles and new Pilot3 tires. He traded even for my 2006 Strom with 27000+ miles, which I thought was pretty good. He also had an HID kit that I need to get installed.

I think the first thing to go will be the fender eliminator. Maybe not. The bike is stock except for that, the taller windshield, and a K&N air filter. First thing to go on is going to be a bags connection tank ring and the rack for the top case.

1.  Not sure about this bike on the interstate. That is a LOT of air flow.
2.  I kept wanting to shift to the next gear and roll on more throttle. Except I was already doing 70. Gonna take some getting used to to be doing 70 in 6th and be miles away from the redline.

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
Re: Goodbye Old Friend
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:54:19 PM »
Congrats on the switch.   :thumbsup:

Offline Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Congrats on the new to you scoot, Great bike :thumbsup: and in Blue too!

Ditch the K&N and but a filter that will not allow sand into the engine (think stock filter)

Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
Congrats on the new to you scoot, Great bike :thumbsup: and in Blue too!

Ditch the K&N and but a filter that will not allow sand into the engine (think stock filter)

Yeah, I've never really be a fan of the K&N filters.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
Awesome switch!  Nice upgrade.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
I echo the congrats - please give us an update when you and the bike are closer friends.

_ Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Neat!
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Damn weather won't cooperate for me to get out and ride this thing.   :mad:

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
Great trade! Congrats!
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 07:43:08 AM »
Great trade! Congrats!

Thanks. On the plus side the rack for my top case should be here and installed before the weather is clear enough to ride.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Got about 100 miles on the FZ1 today. Hit a route I used to with the Strom quite a bit.

First stop is Beech Grove Cemetery, originally a pioneer cemetery, then a cemetery for unknown confederate soldiers.

After that I made a stop by Normandy Damn. I opted against stopping in at the George Dickel distillery today. Also...that is a whole lot of seagull shit.

Last stop of they day (well, other than waiting on a train) was at Beechwood Plantation...which is actually a whole lot of nothin'. I guess it was once the site of something or other. A plantation, I suppose. There's a log...thing...set up now.

Generally, I think this bike was a good switch. I really need to get used to being able to go from 0 to OMG in seconds, without leaving first. While fast, the bike is pretty well behaved. Definitely handles the curves better than the Strom. Not sure if that's from better suspension, or carrying the weight lower.

Offline CosmicCowboy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »
Got out for another moderately long ride over the weekend. Lot's of shorter rides, but I really like the way the FZ1 handles the miles.

Center Hill Dam is a popular ride destination as the road up to it is rather twisty and overlooks the reservoir most of the way. I was going to get some closer pics of the ongoing repairs to the dam but was cut short by a possible crazy old man that wanted to tell me all about his glory days of motorcycling. Yessir, he rode is bike all over the country, from Winchester to Knoxville. Yes, apparently the entire country is encompassed in two towns about 180 miles apart.

I made a jog over to Woodbury, TN to get my self some lunch, and because I can hit a few other good roads on the way. The stream above is a small turnout on a decent road. The locals say that the water is pure drinking water. I've never had dysentery and don't want to experience it, so I just take their word for it.

Just outside of Woodbury is the Bridge to Nowhere. It actually goes someplace, but not to any place that people actually want to be, so the name sticks. State law requires that, if you have a motorcycle, you must journey to the bridge and take a picture. I can't think of any other reason for making the journey.

The FZ1 is way more sensitive on the throttle than the V-Strom was. I'm learning a lot about throttle control.