Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First single from my band's upcoming album!  (Read 4233 times)

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
First single from my band's upcoming album!
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
I joined a local all-original rock band (KGB) as the lead guitarist a year ago and we've been busy in my home studio since Thanksgiving working on a pair of full length albums (20 songs). Here is a link to the first single, Rock and Roll Shoes, hot off the presses. Probably not the "final final" mix that will be on the album, but it's pretty damn close. Check it out and crank it up!

http://www.reverbnation.com/thekgbband/song/20126820-rock-and-roll-shoes

Our ReverbNation page is "The KGB Band". Our Facebook page is "The KGB Band" as well.

FWIW, KGB was the initials of the founding members back in 2011, but it doesn't mean anything now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:40:29 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
Re: First single from my band's upcoming album!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:38:38 AM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:42:32 AM »
That is freaking excellent news, Garry. Congrats.
this signature on hold pending review

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »
So that's where you've had your head buried lately (not that I didn't already know that).  :lol:

Congrats!

I can't wait to buy the albums.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:22 AM »
I can't wait to buy the albums.

We're thinking primarily digital distribution. The albums will be free downloads if you sign up for the band mailing list on ReverbNation. There will also be options to buy songs via iTunes (or whatever) if you want to support the band and help fund the next round of recording. We need fans to show up at gigs more than money right now hence the free downloads to try to build a buzz/following.

The song I posted is more fluffy than most of our stuff, but it got the nod to be the first to escape. The next one will rock pretty hard.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:39:09 AM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Makes me wanna dance. 

Not something you'd want to see, mind you.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
It is great to see a dream come to fruition . . . .very well done!

keep us up to date on further developments, pleaseanadthankyousir!
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:07 AM »
Live entertainment by the tiki bar at maggie valley this summer?   Hmmmmmm

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
Way cool.  Downloaded!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
Cool. Nice production. Real drums recorded at your house?
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
Real drums in my crappy single car garage. I did spend some money buying Owens-Corning 703 to tame the horrid concrete/cinder block bunker sound. Because I could only record 8 tracks in one pass, I had to submix all the toms and cymbals into a stereo track. Kick and snare were on separate tracks. Scratch tracks for bass, two guitars, and lead vocal took up the other four tracks.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did spend a stupid amount of time triggering kick and snare samples (post-production) that are blended in with the original tracks (about 50/50). So in a sense, the drums got a boob job. I couldn't quite get what I wanted via EQ/etc, so that was Plan B. I should have allocated more time to set up the drum sounds before the band showed up as I have managed to get good drum sounds in there in the past. I settled for "good enough, fix it in the mix", and I know I should never settle. We had a tight schedule and knocked out basic tracks for 20 songs in 3 days (Thanksgiving weekend). This was the drummers first try at recording to a click track too.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
 :bigok:

A little like Fabulous T-birds. Minus the harmonica of course. Looking forward to the whole album.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:59:38 PM »
Wonder how many times I'll hear this on the way to the Spring Meet :clap: Like the harp
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »

Great job on that Gary.  :clap:

You play that guitar as good as you carve corners. :thumbsup:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
Sounds good, Gary. Well done. Please post the iTunes link when it's available.

Offline xsrider

• Contributor
  • Be seeing you.
  • Motorcycles: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:20:43 AM »
Sounds great.  Nice work.
IBA #14938
Stay healthy, my friend.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 05:24:25 AM »
You can download it FREE right now from the ReverbNation page. All our music will be free to share. We have to upgrade to a (not free) account on ReverbNation to get the digital distribution stuff turned on. That probably won't happen until the first album is done.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
Real drums in my crappy single car garage. I did spend some money buying Owens-Corning 703 to tame the horrid concrete/cinder block bunker sound. Because I could only record 8 tracks in one pass, I had to submix all the toms and cymbals into a stereo track. Kick and snare were on separate tracks. Scratch tracks for bass, two guitars, and lead vocal took up the other four tracks.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did spend a stupid amount of time triggering kick and snare samples (post-production) that are blended in with the original tracks (about 50/50). So in a sense, the drums got a boob job. I couldn't quite get what I wanted via EQ/etc, so that was Plan B. I should have allocated more time to set up the drum sounds before the band showed up as I have managed to get good drum sounds in there in the past. I settled for "good enough, fix it in the mix", and I know I should never settle. We had a tight schedule and knocked out basic tracks for 20 songs in 3 days (Thanksgiving weekend). This was the drummers first try at recording to a click track too.

I think it sounds pretty darn good. An audio/production guy might notice. I like working with a click, most times. One church where I used to play runs a click for just about everything. Where I currently play the blinking light on the Roland brain is my guide.
The band I play in wants to get a couple of songs recorded but none of us are in a position to fund some studio time. Well, I could but that would put a hurtin' on my moto fund.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 07:40:06 AM »
Our drummer is a good guy to work with, but doesn't keep great time. Since we were going to be overdubbing everything except the drums, the time needed to be rock steady because there's no eye contact when overdubbing. We practiced with a click for a month before recording to get him used to it, but if you solo the drum tracks the slight ebb and flow is audible as he slips off the click and tries to get back on it. He's pretty good at keeping in the pocket with the click on basic kick/snare/hat stuff.  Long, busy fills are the hardest part. There are plenty of little glitches, but aside from drummers, most people won't notice anything.

The O-C 703 did a fine job of taming the garage. I used 2" thick panels to kill the mid/high ring and spread them all over. I made a couple big bass traps out of 4" thick panels to suck up the low end. The lead singer/guitarist and bass player were both running direct, in the garage with drummer so they could see each other. There is a tiny bit of scratch vocal bleed in the overhead mics that you can hear when solo'd, that you would never hear in the final mix. The fact they were in the room with the drums combined with the marginal acoustics, meant that I couldn't use a room mic on the drums in addition to the close mics. I like a natural drum sound and a well-placed room mic in a nice space can add a lot.

As an aside, we're not using any guitar amps for the recordings either. All electric guitar tracks are DI'd and we're using the Overloud TH2 amp simulator plug-in in my DAW software (Sonar X2 Producer) for all the guitar sounds. It's way cool to have the flexibility to change amps, cabinets, mics, mic position, and effects all the way to mixdown. It makes recording guitar parts simpler because you just have to pick the right guitar for the tone you want (Les Paul, Strat, whatever) and focus on playing it well, not nailing the final tone at the same time. The presets in the Overloud stuff are mostly crap, but you can craft very respectable tones if you start from scratch and build your own sounds.

We're just a local band of old guys (in our 50s) having some fun writing songs and playing with bands half our age. No aspirations other than wanting to share the music and have something to listen to and show our grandkids when we're in "Glory Days" mode in our rocking chairs on the front porch of the nursing home :-)

Well, building a enough of a following to play nicer/bigger gigs for better money to a consistently good crowd would be nice :=)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:43:16 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT