Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Springfield XDS 9  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Smilodon_Con

Springfield XDS 9
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
Opinions? Any of you have one? Pros? Cons?

Seems just like a Glock to me but more carry friendly. Single stack design limits capacity, but face it size is an issue with daily practical carry.
Looks good sofar....front sight looks a bit frail but for a CCW I think it has great potential as an all-arounder.
Wish it came in .40. 9mm has been around for a long time but I'm partial to a larger caliber, however for a defensive pistol it's fine. 9 millimeters is better than no millimeters.

XDS owners chime in. Whatta ya think?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Springfield XDS 9
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
You could get it in 45.

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:30:13 PM »
7+1 in the 9, 5+1 in .45.
 If I'm going .45 it's a 1911 and then that brings the carry practicality into play.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:55:18 PM by Smilodon_Con »

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
If you are wanting .40 cal, you may want to look at the s&w m&p shield in .40  6 round mag and a 7 round mag.  The 9mm comes with a 7 and 8 round mag

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
What's wrong with the Glock 27?
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
They fix the "slide no work without grip safety depressed" issue yet?

If so I wouldn't immediately overlook it.

Well, assuming SAI makes parts available now. Did they fix that issue as well?
Support 12-5

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
No comment on the XDS question, but I happened to come across this article tonight and the caliber concerns from above has me posting the link:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/true-stories/just-380-size-matter/

bottom line - buy what "fits" 1) that you'll have available (vs. leave at home) and 2) that you can aim well.

FWIW / 0.02
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:28 AM »
They fix the "slide no work without grip safety depressed" issue yet?

If so I wouldn't immediately overlook it.

Well, assuming SAI makes parts available now. Did they fix that issue as well?

I dont know about parts availability but yes the grip safety/slide issue has been fixed. I'm not too concerned about the parts thing. I've dealt with Springfield in the past and they have excellent customer service. Pistol has good reviews. Looks like a very viable CCW gun. Reliability doesnt seem to be an issue at all and it seems to be a good cross between a larger full size and a sub-compact pistol. I had a Glock 27 .40 and found it quite chunky for carry.  The XDS has a rail on front for laser/light mounting as well should I choose that as an option. I really like he slim profile of the XDS and it quick-points very well.

Offline misanthropist

• Motorcycles: Griso, GSXR, and projects
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
Well, as long as the pin breakage of other models hasn't carried over to this one, it's probably viable.
Support 12-5

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:29 AM »
firing/striker pin?

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
No comment on the XDS question, but I happened to come across this article tonight and the caliber concerns from above has me posting the link:

bottom line - buy what "fits" 1) that you'll have available (vs. leave at home) and 2) that you can aim well.

FWIW / 0.02

^ This.  My brother-in-law (a cop) sent me a study a couple years ago that their force looked at- a guy studied all shootings in the US over a long period of time.  He studied caliber, placement, etc.  It turns out that for .380 and above lethality is about placement- across the board there was no real statistical difference in caliber lethality once you crossed that line.  I used to be a .40/.45 guy until I read that.  Now I'd rather have a few more bullets in the magazine and better control with a 9mm than big bore size.   :thumbsup:

I can try to dig it up if there is interest. 
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »
I'd be curious to see it - but don't go crazy look'n.
sodapop6620: You are never lost as long as you have gas.  Mrs. DantesDame: Side roads lead to interesting discoveries

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:47:49 AM »

FWIW / 0.02

^ This.  My brother-in-law (a cop) sent me a study a couple years ago that their force looked at- a guy studied all shootings in the US over a long period of time.  He studied caliber, placement, etc.  It turns out that for .380 and above lethality is about placement- across the board there was no real statistical difference in caliber lethality once you crossed that line.  I used to be a .40/.45 guy until I read that.  Now I'd rather have a few more bullets in the magazine and better control with a 9mm than big bore size.   :thumbsup:

I can try to dig it up if there is interest.

I remember reading the same study.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:40:40 AM »
oh yeah... dig it up.  this thread is relevant to my interests

Edit:  Started a new thread on the topic. 

When I held the XDS 9, it didn't have the right feel for me but I have much more research to do and need to actually send lead vs just fondling.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:59:25 AM by Vulcanbill »
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Sending lead downrange soon.

Hopefully this weekend. Thumbs up for PA's respect for the 2nd amendment for law abiding citizens. In and out transaction.

Pleased to discover the XDS mags fit my old favorite leather Galco double .45 mag holder like they were made for each other.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
Congrats.

I look forward to your feedback on it.  My brother in law has the compact XD9.  I've shot it and like it.  It'll be interesting what you think of this sub compact.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
We'll see if I can still shoot. I'm curious as to how accurate this will be with hardball.
No target pistol for sure, but if it's as accurate as my Glock or my Walther PPKS I'll be happy. Personally I always found a 9mm more difficult to shoot consistently than a good accurate .45. I had a gorgeous Belgian Browning Hi-Power that I couldnt shoot worth a damn. Same thing with a S+W 5906. Paper plate groups @25 yards offhand, but nothing was like My Les Baer .45. That was a real shooter's gun.
You could develop skills with that one, there was no blaming the gun. If you did your part the gun would deliver.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:56:38 PM by Smilodon_Con »

Offline Jim

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
nothing was like My Les Baer .45. That was a real shooter's gun.
You could develop skills with that one, there was no blaming the gun. If you did your part the gun would deliver.

Did you get rid of it?  :o :(

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
very reluctantly and sadly. Went to a Camp Perry shooter who won his class with it in 2700 Conventional Pistol. That pisol would shoot 1.25-1.375 inch groups at 50 yards. 50. @25, it was a small 1-holer off a shot-bag rest with my 200 gr. semi wadcutter cast lead bullets over 4 grains of Bullseye powder.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:38:35 PM by Smilodon_Con »

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
Took it out yesterday and ran about 150 rounds for the initial break-in. It has a fairly soft contollable recoil, I thought it would be more snappy for a lightweight. There is a double recoil spring system in the pistol, quick double taps are easy to place 2 inches apart. No FTF or FTE's at all. Flawless feeding and ejecting. I did have 1 misfired round, chalked that up to the cheap Czech S+B hardball I was using. There was a good strike on the primer so it wasnt the gun. Grouping was very good at 7 yards, Winchester Super-X ammo gave better accuracy than the S+B hardball. I did not fire any of the Federal Hydroshocks I have.  The pistol will put all 7 into 1.5- 2 inches slowfire at 7 yards. I have to get some PPC type targets to really evaluate the gun for greater distances. Its not a long range tack driver by any means, but for a defensive pistol, I believe it's a good one for the purpose. The only thing I noted and it's not an issue with the gun, but rather my tendency to high thumb my grip on the left side of the pistol which comes from my .45 days. My thumb joint rides right on the slide lock which interferes with the slide locking open on the last round. I had to adjust my grip to keep my thumb off that slide lock, then no problem. Sight picture printed a bit to the left overall, thats an easy sight ajustment. Elevation spot on. The red fiber optic front sight glows like a laser in daylight and is easy to pick up a quick sight picture. Draw-point-fire is easy to keep in a chest sized area without acually aiming the pistol. I walked away pleased overall and confident it will be reliable and accurate enough for defensive purposes. It's a nice little 9mm. I like it.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:47 AM »
It sounds like it'll be a great piece for you.  Thanks for the follow up.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.