Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tell me about the S3T  (Read 1900 times)

Offline CosmicCowboy

Tell me about the S3T
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
Posted this at "the other site" as well, but just in case all the Buell riders have moved here for good...

I have a trade opportunity for a 99 S3T (fuel injected) that I'm giving some consideration. Seems to tick the boxes of different from the Strom and a hoot to ride. Immediate down side for me is that there was never a top box for that, so I'd need to rig up a way to mount the givi to it. What are the big considerations regarding the bike? How is comfort for some coming in at 6'4"? Parts shouldn't be too much of a problem, at least as far as engine components, but what about air filters and the like? Is stuff like that unique to the bike, or is there likely to be a good supply for a while? Thanks.

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
Re: Tell me about the S3T
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »
The older tuber models are nice as a second bike.  I put 30k on mine and the only time it left me stranded was when the stator gave up. Did a couple of track days on it as well.  You will be hard to find another bike that will make you smile as hard as the tubers will.

They can be finicky but the engine and trans are pretty solid. Don't be afraid to shift it. Shift it like you mean it.  If you are delicate with the shifter, you will get a lot of false neutrals.  The front brake switch tends to fail every year for some reason.   

As for your height, the s3 may be a bit small for you.  Sit on it and see how it feels.

Parts are still available on AmericanSportBike.com.  They have great customer service too.  Regarding OEM parts, Harley has left the Buell owners in the dark.