Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: olympics  (Read 3267 times)

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
olympics
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »
Anybody else catch the add for the US 2 man bobsled. It's freekin designed by BMW. With all the auto designers in Detroit and all the aero space designers we have in this country, we couldn't design a freekin sled to compete in the Olympics. WTF!!!!   :facepalm:

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
Re: olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Not familiar with what companies design bobsleds, but it did strike me as off that it was not an american company.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
it is like the last Olympics where all the clothes the athletes wore were designed by ralph lauren but made in china.  :rolleyes:

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »
IIRC from last Olympics, BMW has a lock on the technology.  They make the best sleds. 

Like their ultimate driving machine ad says, they only do one thing.  (Trick answer)
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
BMW made just about every sled this year for all the competitors.
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
it is like the last Olympics where all the clothes the athletes wore were designed by ralph lauren but made in china.  :rolleyes:

so I had an idea the other day, since my winter hat doesn't fit quite over my ears, I thought I would shop for a hat matching the ones worn by the US athletes in the opening ceremony. They're all over eBay, most of them at or over $200. Screw that.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
I enjoy watching the winter olympics over the summer. 

Gary, going to a BMW sled is an upgrade from the NASCAR engineered* sleds used in the past.

*  Well, not NASCAR, per se.  But, they were made by a NASCAR driver.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
So like were they only fast in left hand turns?
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »
Well, what would a bobsled look like if it were made by:
Harley? Overpriced and slow
Victory? Much the same but a bit quicker
Suzuki? It would go all right, but the paint would come off when it was touched and it would be pile of rust in minutes
Etc
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
  • Motorcycles: R12S
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
Regarding the BMW two-man bobsled, Bobby Rahal's American race team engineers (they run Z4s in the United Sportscar series) developed the steering mechanism for it.
Chicagoan Rahal is the chairman of the USA Bobsled & Skeleton Foundation (read 'in charge of fundraising').

The American four-man bobsled is still built by stock car guy Geoff Bodine's company Bo-Dyn Bobsleds.  They won gold at the 2010 games with this sled, the first for the US in 62 years.

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
Regarding the BMW two-man bobsled, Bobby Rahal's American race team engineers (they run Z4s in the United Sportscar series) developed the steering mechanism for it.
Chicagoan Rahal is the chairman of the USA Bobsled & Skeleton Foundation (read 'in charge of fundraising').

The American four-man bobsled is still built by stock car guy Geoff Bodine's company Bo-Dyn Bobsleds.  They won gold at the 2010 games with this sled, the first for the US in 62 years.

Good info, I didn't realize Rahal was involved. 

The Bondine sleds are actually known to be quite good.  FYI... my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek for the previous comment. 

I watched some of the luge event yesterday.  Wow, they're fast!  I can't wait to see the sleds run that course. 

Did anyone catch the men's downhill?  That course is insane!!!  I love how the skiers corner like motorcycle races and the jumps (i.e. cliffs) on this course makes it spectacular to watch. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline DNA

• Motorcycles: BMG 1200GSAdv
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
When I was younger and skied a lot,  I dreamed of being a down hill racer - but watching that last night showed how old I have become.

Yikes!

The announcers said the racers loved the course though - go figure.
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack  -You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile- You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife-
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?