Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Watch people, where do you get replacement Citizen parts?  (Read 4212 times)

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
Watch people, where do you get replacement Citizen parts?
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
I have a women's titanium Citizen that I like.  Nothing fancy but it's mine and I want to keep using it.  Pin broke and the end link is gone.  Where's the best place to get a new end link?
Lauren

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
Re: Watch people, where do you get replacement Citizen parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »
I always took mine to a local jeweler. It wasn't that expensive and i liked to give my business to the local guy.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
 :withstupid:

I've got a Seiko that my wife gave me for a wedding present...the local jewelry store (which is also where she bought it) has taken care of everything....they do good work.  I'd find somebody local that has been around for a while and stick with them.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Now I have to find a local store.  It's part of the band and I could easily put it in myself (with a new pin), but you have to make things hard for me.  :P
Lauren

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
The jewelry dept. at the local Penny's changed a battery to me, maybe they have pins. :headscratch:
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »
Here's a picture showing the part that's missing.  Citizen's site says they will sell end links to the public, so I will call them on Monday.
Lauren

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »
In all reality, the easiest thing to do would be drop it off at a local jeweler. Pick it up in a week and fork over 20 bucks and be done with it.

An endlink for that shouldn't be anymore than a few bucks. Pins are essentially next to nothing costwise. Make sure you get the pins when you get the endlink.

Here's what you'll need:

measure the gap accurately between the caselugs in millimeters that will be the width of the springbar needed to attach the endlink to the case

Endlink itself. Get all the numbers from the back of the case for Citizen when you order.

Pins for attaching the bracelet to the endlink. Get a couple of them. They'll probably be friction fit pins rather than screw-ins. Hopefully it's not a Seiko type pin connector system with tube inserts, and a pin. I'm betting they are just standard knockout taper pins.

If they start throwing 30-40 dollar numbers at you, walk away, There are aftermarket bracelet options too that should be cheap. Find a jeweler shop with a little old man with a loupe stuck in his eye half the day.

Mall jewelers are the worst place to deal with something like that.

Mom + Pop shops are the best. Chances are the guy will dig through a drawerful of parts, fix it while you wait and send you on your way for 10 bucks or less.

If you have a hard time finding anyone to fix it post up and I'll hook you up for cost of parts, you never know, I just might have something in my watchbench that will work. I have a shit ton of ladies watches. I know I have a brand new ladies Seiko 5 automatic with a bad movement that bracelet endlinks might work or I can swap the whole bracelet for you. Or send me the watch and parts and I'll fix it for you STN gratis deal. IE free. I might even pay for the return postage back to you.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:06:46 PM by Smilodon_Con »

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
Oops forget all that shit I posted.

You said Titanium. Puts a new spin on things.

Give the whole shebang to an authorized Citizen/Seiko shop and let them deal with it.

I could still do the installation for you if you send me the watch and parts. Be easier to source it locally for you though.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »
Citizen has the end pieces in stock, $26 shipped for two of them and the pins (they were so cheap I got an extra).  I'd like to get a slightly nicer dress watch as a graduation present to myself, but I'm glad this was a cheap fix so I can keep it for daily wear.  It's held up very well for the last 9 years, but the front is a little scratched from working on the bikes and stuff in the lab. 

I went to Jared to get a battery changed once, and the guy put the case back on backward and bent the pin.  It took them two months to fix it and the pin takes way more effort to pull out than it did, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on the band for what is now a damaged watch.  I feel like I need to take it back to Jared if I have a shop work on it, otherwise they will just play the blame game and I'll never get anything fixed on it again.  The next watch will never go to a chain store, and I really want to get an eco drive or similar because I'm scared of battery changes now.  I changed my own batteries before that and no problems, then I get lazy and the "professionals" managed to screw it up.

Connie, if you see a good deal on a titanium ladies kinetic watch let me know.  I'm allergic to nickel so full titanium is a must (I got the citizen because the cheaper watches has stainless case backs at the time).  I saw some new citizen eco drives on ebay for $150, but I'm not in a rush and haven't taken the time to look into it yet and figure out what brand I want.  When I get more serious about it I'll start looking on a watch forums since that seems like a better option than ebay.
Lauren

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »
you may be pleasantly surprised with the service at the local watch/jewelry shop. Mine changes the battery in my Tissot for free? and charges $2 for batteries in my pocket watch. A lot of times they make minor repairs (like yours) for free or just a couple bucks.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
there is a difference between a large chain jewlery store, and a smaller local joint, or, even better, a local watch/clock repair person.

Jared's makes their nut selling jewellry, and anything that isn't that isn't something that really want to do.

Smaller local joints make their money frpom the relationships and service the provide.

Your call.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Don't worry, I learned my lesson and will stick with a local place next time.  I didn't think anyone could be dumb enough to ruin a watch  while changing a battery, considering I'd done it several times and thought the watch was pretty foolproof. :(
Lauren

Offline Smilodon_Con

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:44 AM »
"Don't go to Jared!" LOL but that sucks.
Inenxperienced counter people doing batteries. In the watch world they're called mall hacks. Battery changing is a delicate procedure and you need proper tools. I've seen torn up casebacks and ruined movements. Battery retention clips are often a spring action and can send micro screws flying on release. One slip of a screwdriver onto the coil and the movement is history. The coil windings are about the width of a human hair, and soft copper.
Casebacks can be stubborn and difficult, it takes very controlled deliberate pressure in just the right spot and you have to scope out the best pry point when opening a snap-back. Not 1 pry blade fits all either. There are gaskets that need to be properly seated and relubricated.

Here's a problem wih your watch now. The caseback if a snap, has a recess on he inside
to clear the winding stem at 3 oclock. If the caseback was forced on upside down I'll guarantee you that the inside sealing lip of the caseback is damaged beyond repair. Dont ever expose that ladies diver to water it will never be waterproof again.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:26:21 AM »
culterslayer:
Citizen has the end pieces in stock, $26 shipped for two of them and the pins (they were so cheap I got an extra).  I'd like to get a slightly nicer dress watch as a graduation present to myself, but I'm glad this was a cheap fix so I can keep it for daily wear.  It's held up very well for the last 9 years, but the front is a little scratched from working on the bikes and stuff in the lab. 

A few months ago, I got a very nice Seiko Chronograph watch from Amazon for a great price. They had a huge selection.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline cultureslayer

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:59 AM »
I don't dive and the watch seems to hold up just fine when I wash my hands, so no worries there.  In hindsight I should have insisted that they replace the watch, but I didn't realize that they wouldn't really fix it and now it's been years.  Good thing I got it for about $50 on ebay new, so no big loss.
Lauren