Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NADA or KBB?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
NADA or KBB?
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
Let's say you were negotiating a bike price... Generally I look at COMPLETED and SOLD sales on eBay as a decent-enough real-world indicator, but lately have started looking more at KBB and NADA.

Which way do you usually go?

The reason I ask is that KBB has always seemed a little optimistic, but the disparity between KBB and NADA pricing guides is staggering on some bikes.

Basically, NADA thinks that $1700 is the magic number for almost any pre-2000 bike. What say ye?
this signature on hold pending review

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: NADA or KBB?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
I agree with the completed sales way of thinking.  Things are only worth what people will pay and the only way to figure that out is see what people are paying.

The books are only a starting point.

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
NADA is what the insurance companies use when you file a claim so that's the only one I use. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »
NADA is what the insurance companies use when you file a claim so that's the only one I use.

But if they pay out it's based on available stock in your area.

Offline Zixxerpilot

• Motorcycles: 2004 z1000
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
Neither, they both are usually way off. I look for completed sales, and also for a pool of others for sale, not just locally. That seems to be the only semi-accurate judge of value anymore.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Offline phoenix

• Motorcycles: CBR600RR, KX250F
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
if it is a Harley Davidson, the price goes UP $500-$1000 per year after it gets to be 15 years old. Double that for chrome.

but seriously....tough question. it seemed to me like lenders would use NADA for bike values when approving a loan. I think they look at the high end of retail value so they can approve almost anyone.

I have not studied how either KBB or NADA values compare for bikes that are 15+ years old. To me, this is a VERY grey area. Most of the bikes I see that are over 15 years old are total crap. Must repair immediately.  OR, on the other side of the spectrum is a fully reconditioned bike that the seller wants at least double the original MSRP.

I do feel that a bikes value will reach a point, and maybe that is between 15 and 20 years old, where the value barely drops year-over-year.