Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When did it become okay to be a billboard?  (Read 9163 times)

Offline marc11

When did it become okay to be a billboard?
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »
I've noticed a lot of gear now includes huge logos all over the place.  This was most obvious in MX gear and often integrated with the design of the clothes as a race replica, but I see it a lot now on street gear.  Icon and JR seem to be the biggest offenders but other brands are getting in on it.

Is this okay with you?  Walking around with large logos sometimes two or more?  I am okay with a small logo or name on the chest or sleeve, but recently I saw a jacket from Twisted Throttle that had a "tramp stamp" name across the lower back in reflective material no less, and the company name/logo on both sleeves and on the breast pocket of a street jacket.

To me that is too much; is it any different than commercials during pay TV?  Advertising with no compensation to the rider?

Just a rant really.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: When did it become okay to be a billboard?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »
I agree.  Unless they are paying me to advertise they can keep their giant logo's. 

Same goes for dealership names on cars.  Or their license plates frames (with aren't legal in many places)  Unless I'm getting a discount they better be removed before I take delivery.

Offline marc11

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:05:45 AM »
I agree.  Unless they are paying me to advertise they can keep their giant logo's. 

Same goes for dealership names on cars.  Or their license plates frames (with aren't legal in many places)  Unless I'm getting a discount they better be removed before I take delivery.

Oh the car thing is a huge issue for me.  I make the dealer put it on the contract to remove all stickers and plate frames with dealership name or logo on it before delivery.  I have actually refused to take delivery of a car until they sent it back to the shop to have the sticker removed.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:10:15 AM »

I simply have them run it through he body shop and take of anything that can be removed, including the hideously large "RAM 1500" on the doors of my pickup. they are always happy to take care of it?

I like it clean looking:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »
Same here.  When I brought the C14 home, one of the first things i did was spend a half an hour in the garage de-badging the thing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:30:10 AM by Cablebandit »

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
It annoys me simply because I have trouble finding a company that  makes pants and a jacket that fit me.  Olympia is the only one that I can wear both, and I can never find them on sale when I'm looking for gear.  :(
Lauren

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
Good question.  Both my Dainese and Rev'It gear has a huge logo on the back.  I love the product and hate the big branding.

I simply have them run it through he body shop and take of anything that can be removed, including the hideously large "RAM 1500" on the doors of my pickup. they are always happy to take care of it?

I like it clean looking:

I too hate this.  I always take a hair dryer and remove any dealer related stickers.  Also, I hate it when they place a license plate on the front.  I recently acquired a certified pre-owed with the dealer’s plate on the front.  NC doesn’t require a front tag and, in my opinion, that should be left alone and the dealer should not place an advertisement there just because a state doesn’t require an ID tag go there. 

Because the holes left behind if I remove the current front tag, I’ve left the dealer’s plate on for now.  I plan to find a replacement like an alma mater alumni tag or something else to replace it. 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
I don't give it much thought, as long it's not a ricky-racer setup with 20 different patches, or all the silly skulls and tribal pattern stuff. :shrug:
this signature on hold pending review

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »
I remove most of the emblems on vehicles too. It's just an area that causes problems when waxing the vehicle.

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I don't give it much thought, as long it's not a ricky-racer setup with 20 different patches, or all the silly skulls and tribal pattern stuff. :shrug:

^ That. I'd just as soon not have lots of logos, but I've not had to base purchasing decisions on their presence, or lack.

I think the trend in motoclothes was preceeded, and perhaps based upon the branding on other sports gear . .. . this of the wet dream of Addias marketing guys . . . not only large logos on their shoes, but folks will buy warm up gear featuring the brand of their shoes . . . .and tshirts, and wear em in environments that have nothing to do with sport whatsoever . . .

Sounds positively Harley like, doesn't it?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline marc11

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

^ That. I'd just as soon not have lots of logos, but I've not had to base purchasing decisions on their presence, or lack.

I think the trend in motoclothes was preceeded, and perhaps based upon the branding on other sports gear . .. . this of the wet dream of Addias marketing guys . . . not only large logos on their shoes, but folks will buy warm up gear featuring the brand of their shoes . . . .and tshirts, and wear em in environments that have nothing to do with sport whatsoever . . .

Sounds positively Harley like, doesn't it?

It is interesting; I recently purchased some Tommy Hilfiger dress shirts from Amazon; not because of the brand specifically, but because I like Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger and Brooks Brothers shirts due to the cut and quality; these happen to be at a nice price so I picked up a few.

Anyway, I was reading the reviews as they were only rated at 3.5 stars.  A few people complained that the website said "slim cut" but they received "regular cut" fair complaint.  But you would not believe how many people complained and only gave them 1 star because the Hilfiger logo did not appear on the outside of the shirt, just on the inside label....they went on to praise the quality however.

That is pretty sad but speaks volumes to our materialistic world I suppose.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

It is interesting; I recently purchased some Tommy Hilfiger dress shirts from Amazon; not because of the brand specifically, but because I like Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger and Brooks Brothers shirts due to the cut and quality; these happen to be at a nice price so I picked up a few.

Anyway, I was reading the reviews as they were only rated at 3.5 stars.  A few people complained that the website said "slim cut" but they received "regular cut" fair complaint.  But you would not believe how many people complained and only gave them 1 star because the Hilfiger logo did not appear on the outside of the shirt, just on the inside label....they went on to praise the quality however.

That is pretty sad but speaks volumes to our materialistic world I suppose.

That's completely  :facepalm: -worthy. I rather dislike the whole "look at me" mindset, which is the biggest thing that I *DON'T* miss about my Harley.
this signature on hold pending review

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Some folks need brand logos to validate their sense of self worth. 

Vehicle logos don't bother me.  I never even bothered to take the safety warning stickers off my Wee even though they annoy me.  I wouldn't have a Wee if I was concerned about appearance. 

I let dealer badges on when they provide good service & give me a sweet deal.  That's why I still have the dealer license plate frame on my Wee - I actually transferred it off my FJR - although the way I ride sometimes, maybe I'd be doing them a favor if I took it off.

Clothing is another matter.  Some of the better made clothing carries very obscure or hidden logos.  You'll recognize a Harris tweed, for example, when you see one although you may not know it by name; you don't have to wear a symbol telling the public it's a quality product.
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Black Hills

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
crap, I guess I wear branded clothes to work everyday.... wonder if it helps my self worth???

the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
crap, I guess I wear branded clothes to work everyday.... wonder if it helps my self worth???

Taking pics of your ass.  Creepy.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Online Black Hills

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »

Taking pics of your ass.  Creepy.

dammit Ed, that was my shirt, this is my ass

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Yes, and it is certainly worthy.

OMG :o

"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
 :shahthread:
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline marc11

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »

Whoa, the ultimate selfie right there.
2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline JReazor

• Ignore Alien Orders
    • The Pace Podcast
  • Motorcycles: SV650, C3, Sprint GT
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
I suddenly feel fortunate that most photo sharing sites are blocked here at work.

Offline FJR1300

• Administrator
  • Motorcycles: None
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »
I suddenly feel fortunate that most photo sharing sites are blocked here at work.

I wish they did that here... someone pass me the eye-bleach.   :hurl:

Online Black Hills

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
hey, it was Ed's fault...

Offline cultureslayer

• Motorcycles: 1989 ninja 250
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
You wusses should try reading a medical journal.  One article had a picture of an older saggy gent in his tightie whities just to show where sensors should be placed on the legs.  They could have easily used a drawing for that.  :-\
Lauren

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
I'll bet you were just looking at the pictures.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
You wusses should try reading a medical journal.  One article had a picture of an older saggy gent in his tightie whities just to show where sensors should be placed on the legs.  They could have easily used a drawing for that.  :-\

hey, maybe I can get a modeling job?

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
All the more reason to get the Victoria's Secret catalogue, just in time for Valentine's Day.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
hey, it was Ed's fault...

Not my fault I just made an observation.
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
All the more reason to get the Victoria's Secret catalogue, just in time for Valentine's Day.

already got it. muhahahhhaa

as far as emblems all over clothes?  could really care less. if it fits and lasts, I'm getting it. but for the car, I remove the dealer sticker ASAP. heck, the one on the Elantra was still wet since it came off with just a finger flick. The bike...   never debadged one. I like the way they look, so I don't bother.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
 :shahthread:
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
I hate it when they place a license plate on the front.  I recently acquired a certified pre-owed with the dealer’s plate on the front.  NC doesn’t require a front tag and, in my opinion, that should be left alone and the dealer should not place an advertisement there just because a state doesn’t require an ID tag go there. 

Because the holes left behind if I remove the current front tag, I’ve left the dealer’s plate on for now.  I plan to find a replacement like an alma mater alumni tag or something else to replace it.
I haven't had a front tag on my car in 15 yrs, and WI requires one.
I put small bolts thru the holes from behind and put chrome acorn nuts on them.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »
A guy I rode with years ago had a tiny sticker on his helmet that read "Nosey Little Fucker, Aren't You?"

Offline marc11

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
A guy I rode with years ago had a tiny sticker on his helmet that read "Nosey Little Fucker, Aren't You?"

Lol awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400