Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One-eyed rider  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Formerly Known as Bigfoot

• Motorcycles: 04 Yamaha RSV
One-eyed rider
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
Was talking to a neighbor yesterday and it got me thinking.  He lost his left eye this past year after it basically exploded in his socket.  His words, not mine.  Some kind of problem and it just basically went to pieces requiring removal.  He used to ride but gave it up a few years ago.  I tried shutting one of my eyes and imagine I was riding on my ride.  I believe our risks of crashing goes up exponentially if we do this but I have done no research.  Has anyone here ever met anyone that still rides with one eye missing?  I'm not sure I would be willing to try but I guess you never know until you experience something like this.
If Stupid Could Fly you'd be a Jet.

Offline coucours grad

• Motorcycles: 2008 ST1300 (faSTeST Red) 1992 Kawasaki Concours (RIP)
Re: One-eyed rider
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 01:23:43 PM »
No research and that would be the end of my riding days....

Which is why I take this diabetes so seriously.
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Offline 2RR2NV

• if you gotta go, go with a smile!!
  • Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R "the Flaming Hulk"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
My Uncle has been riding with only 1 eye since the 70's.  It only bothers him during dusk when the sun is coming through the trees. Then it's like going by a really huge picket fence and drives him nuts. Otherwise, don't notice any loss in his ability to ride compared to others. heck, i bet he rides better than a good portion of them. He is also not a fair weather or short distance rider. the last big trip he has mentioned was when he put 800 miles on the bike heading out this way from WI. He never made it this far because 9/11 happened and he needed to head back ASAP. Now mind you. It's only 800 miles roughly from his house to my door stop, so he takes a VERY zig zag course while riding. Doesn't use maps until he really needs to or has some place he intends to go.
I rode with him when I was in WI and had my VFR. VERY unplanned trip and we were all over the place. Loved it. Rode from 6am til 5 pm.
previous rides: 2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR750, 2002 Busa, 2002 VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:02:28 PM »
I'd imagine you would get used to it.  You'd lose depth perception but otherwise you would adapt.

I had a guy in one of my MSF classes with no left hand.  He did fine. 

Animals have a remarkable way of overcoming such things.  We're all animals.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:37:18 AM by PatM »
Ride safe!

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
The Brits had a number of One-eyed pilots during World War 2 -- their environment is arguably a bit more complex than ours . . .

Of course, they also allowed Non-commissioned Officers to pilot aircraft, so they were clearly insane.

;-}
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »
2 years ago, I rode , unknowingly, with just one eye.  I didn't know it til I realized than no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my glasses clean. Turned out I had a cataract and almost zero vision on the right side. I didn't know how much my depth perception was screwed up til I had the operation. :eek:
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.