Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman  (Read 7720 times)

Offline Scratch

• Contributor
RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
Re: RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
I just saw that, bummer. RIP big guy.
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
One of my favorite actors. So much talent. Such a waste.
A man with no sig

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »
One of my faves too. Loved him as Brandt.

"Mr Lebowski is in secluuusion in the west wing...."
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:20 AM »
This is the first I have heard about his death. Anytime I saw his name in a movie cast, I knew it would be a movie worth seeing. RIP.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:52 AM »
Never heard of him.   :shrug:

Just another drug addict dead with a needle in his arm.  I wonder if his kids found him that way?

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
No, he wasn't just another addict. He was brilliant as both actor and director, with several Tony nominations and an Oscar on his resume. And he died a stupid and shitty death.
A man with no sig

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
Loved him in Charlie Wilson's War. I thought he made that movie. He will be missed.

Offline chornbe

• Contributor
    • The Pace Motorcycle Podcast
  • Motorcycles: Honda DN-01
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority... I felt like he's been phoning it in for a while, and that he developed DeNiro's Disease in his later stuff (ya know, one tone, one face, one character).

Sucks that he died... well, that he offed himself, really.  :-\
this signature on hold pending review

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
No, he wasn't just another addict. He was brilliant as both actor and director, with several Tony nominations and an Oscar on his resume. And he died a stupid and shitty death.

Actually he was an addict. He was very much into drugs earlier in his career but then was sober for 23years. In an interview last year he spoke of falling off the wagon but was getting back in rehab. He was supposed to pick his kids up at 9am and didn't which is why someone went and found him, but I don't believe it was his kids.

I actually thought he was a great actor and enjoyed his career and characters.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
It's very easy to stand on high moral ground when you're not addicted.
But when you're caught in it or have someone close to you that's an addict, it's not so easy.
Addictions are diseases and you're in it for life. There is no cure. The best you can hope is to survive, one day at a time.

It's just sad, really, that he died. RIP
Ride safe!

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
Meh. It's a choice not to take that first jump into the drug scene. He chose to dive in and paid the price.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
Meh. It's a choice not to take that first jump into the drug scene. He chose to dive in and paid the price.

no different than riding deaths, is it ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Formerly Known as Bigfoot

• Motorcycles: 04 Yamaha RSV
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
The best in some people seem to shine with events like this.  I'm all for celebrating when a robbery suspect is shot and killed by the victim or other similar stupid bad guy deaths.  But the death of an addict, even a brilliant actor, hits too close to home.  I have a family member who became an addict thanks to pain meds following surgery but we've had him clean for a year now.  I guess until it hits close to someone you love you can afford to be callous.
If Stupid Could Fly you'd be a Jet.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »

no different than riding deaths, is it ;)

Nope.

Offline SuperHans

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »
I've dealt with addicts and also had some trouble with drinking in my early years. We all have issues to deal with. I Never feel sorry for those who choose substance abuse over their children and family. It is a choice. I wont say its an easy one, but its a choice that should be made.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
The best in some people seem to shine with events like this.  I'm all for celebrating when a robbery suspect is shot and killed by the victim or other similar stupid bad guy deaths.  But the death of an addict, even a brilliant actor, hits too close to home.  I have a family member who became an addict thanks to pain meds following surgery but we've had him clean for a year now.  I guess until it hits close to someone you love you can afford to be callous.

I don't put much thought into it, or riding deaths for that matter. we all make choices and those choices can, and will sometimes lead to our demise. At the time of death it is a sad thing for everyone involved, for most that feeling fades rather quickly. for others it hangs on, sometimes dragging them to their end as well. the world is a cold place, do what you can ;)

that said I don't understand addiction (or any mental illness) at all? I have bottles of oxycontin. oxycodone, codeine, etc. from ACL replacement, took one the first night and that was it. See no reason to take them at all? alcohol is the same for me, I can drink too much, and occasionally do. but it is always the social aspect not the alcohol that causes it to happen. Left alone with a fridge full of beer I won't drink any, add a couple dirtbike buddies and we'll drink it all? can't understand why someone would sit at home alone and shoot up? apparently it is a terrible thing to deal with.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online doc4216

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Roxy....R1200RS
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
I hope my original post wasnt taken as I think I'm on a high road. I too have had family members suffer with addiction, all different types, not just drugs. It's a horrible disease, I personally feel it's one of the worst. But, he was an addict, and tragically, addiction took a great actor. I didn't know him, I didn't know what kind of father he was or how he acted towards people but I will sincerely miss his movies.
A straight road never made a skilled rider.

Offline tyrroneous

• Motorcycles: Daytona 675, SV650 (wifes) and some dirt bikes.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
I didn't know him, I didn't know what kind of father he was or how he acted towards people but I will sincerely miss his movies.

I think his actions spoke volumes as to what kind of father he was.  As somebody stated earlier, he chose heroin over his children.  End of story. 

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
I didn't know him, I didn't know what kind of father he was or how he acted towards people but I will sincerely miss his movies.

I think his actions spoke volumes as to what kind of father he was.  As somebody stated earlier, he chose heroin over his children.  End of story.

I am lucky not to be able to speak to this first hand.

I doubt if it was a "choice," as most would understand the word.

End of story -- writing that deosn't make it so.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
Heroin laced with a drug 100x more powerful than morphine?  WTF? 

I'm pretty sure my brother in law didn't choose to be an addict, but yeap he chose to use meth. Meth laced with some sort of speed kicked his ass and put him in a pine box (heart attack at 34).

I never understood putting a potentially powerful substance in your body that was brewed up in someones old trailer. 

Then again people put crap in their bodies everyday that are legal with the same results. My dad had a very poor diet and smoked cigarettes like crazy. Heart attack at 42, my step dad smoked and was an alcoholic. Liver failure and lung cancer put him under. My mom is an alcoholic (sober for four years) and liver failure will eventually be her demise (its already an issue). Do/will these three people deserve more compassion because the drugs they used were legal?  Does my step brother and Hoffman deserve less? The answer is no in my opinion.

-

Online Black Hills

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »
Heroin laced with a drug 100x more powerful than morphine?  WTF? 

I'm pretty sure my brother in law didn't choose to be an addict, but yeap he chose to use meth. Meth laced with some sort of speed kicked his ass and put him in a pine box (heart attack at 34).

I never understood putting a potentially powerful substance in your body that was brewed up in someones old trailer. 

Then again people put crap in their bodies everyday that are legal with the same results. My dad had a very poor diet and smoked cigarettes like crazy. Heart attack at 42, my step dad smoked and was an alcoholic. Liver failure and lung cancer put him under. My mom is an alcoholic (sober for four years) and liver failure will eventually be her demise (its already an issue). Do/will these three people deserve more compassion because the drugs they used were legal?  Does my step brother and Hoffman deserve less? The answer is no in my opinion.

I agree, it's easy to judge those who's acceptable risk is different than our own. I assume the same conversation can be had over the latest motorcycle death....  "he chose to ride over his kids, just another rider, I can't feel sorry for anyone that makes that choice".

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 08:12:10 AM »
The latest news is that there was no additive in the heroin.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
The latest news is that there was no additive in the heroin.

Heroine needs no additive.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
No Christmas for junkies.

Sent from Planet Ten by way of the eight dimension using Tapatalk

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »
A GREAT article by Russel Brand.  Personally I don't care for him, but this is an amazing piece of writing concerning his battle with staying clean:
The last time I thought about taking heroin was yesterday. I had received "an inconvenient truth" from a beautiful woman. It wasn't about climate change – I'm not that ecologically switched on – she told me she was pregnant and it wasn't mine.

I had to take immediate action. I put Morrissey on in my car as an external conduit for the surging melancholy, and as I wound my way through the neurotic Hollywood hills, the narrow lanes and tight bends were a material echo of the synaptic tangle where my thoughts stalled and jammed.

Morrissey, as ever, conducted a symphony, within and without and the tidal misery burgeoned. I am becoming possessed. The part of me that experienced the negative data, the self, is becoming overwhelmed, I can no longer see where I end and the pain begins. So now I have a choice.

I cannot accurately convey to you the efficiency of heroin in neutralising pain. It transforms a tight, white fist into a gentle, brown wave. From my first inhalation 15 years ago, it fumigated my private hell and lay me down in its hazy pastures and a bathroom floor in Hackney embraced me like a womb.

This shadow is darkly cast on the retina of my soul and whenever I am dislodged from comfort my focus falls there.

It is 10 years since I used drugs or drank alcohol and my life has improved immeasurably. I have a job, a house, a cat, good friendships and generally a bright outlook.

The price of this is constant vigilance because the disease of addiction is not rational. Recently for the purposes of a documentary on this subject I reviewed some footage of myself smoking heroin that my friend had shot as part of a typically exhibitionist attempt of mine to get clean.

I sit wasted and slumped with an unacceptable haircut against a wall in another Hackney flat (Hackney is starting to seem like part of the problem) inhaling fizzy, black snakes of smack off a scrap of crumpled foil. When I saw the tape a month or so ago, what is surprising is that my reaction is not one of gratitude for the positive changes I've experienced but envy at witnessing an earlier version of myself unencumbered by the burden of abstinence. I sat in a suite at the Savoy hotel, in privilege, resenting the woeful ratbag I once was, who, for all his problems, had drugs. That is obviously irrational.

Read the rest here:
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
...When I saw the tape a month or so ago, what is surprising is that my reaction is not one of gratitude for the positive changes I've experienced but envy at witnessing an earlier version of myself unencumbered by the burden of abstinence.
Too late, drug users find that they have the disease of addiction. What starts as a quick and easy method of easing one kind of pain, or another, quickly escalates, and they are lost.
I've saved a few friends, lost too many more, and continue to support those who remain in an effort to help them learn to accept the groaning pain that is life.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison

”And the music was good, and the music was loud, and the singer he turned and he said to the crowd, LET THERE BE ROCK!”
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
...When I saw the tape a month or so ago, what is surprising is that my reaction is not one of gratitude for the positive changes I've experienced but envy at witnessing an earlier version of myself unencumbered by the burden of abstinence.
Too late, drug users find that they have the disease of addiction. What starts as a quick and easy method of easing one kind of pain, or another, quickly escalates, and they are lost.
I've saved a few friends, lost too many more, and continue to support those who remain in an effort to help them learn to accept the groaning pain that is life.

First, well done . . . . .you are clearly a good friend.

Second, perhaps a conversation that groaning pain is not the entirety of a life, unless you decide that it is. There is joy and happiness, but they won't hunt YOU down . . . . .

Online Black Hills

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

Second, perhaps a conversation that groaning pain is not the entirety of a life, unless you decide that it is. There is joy and happiness, but they won't hunt YOU down . . . . .

this would do the majority of society some good.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »

First, well done . . . . .you are clearly a good friend.

Your second statement is so on the money. While I have never viewed life as a "groaning pain ", sometimes I forget the joy and happiness that is usually in reach.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
  • Motorcycles: R12S
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
Alan Sorkin, also an addict, penned a nice tribute to Hoffman as well. 
http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/05/aaron-sorkin-philip-seymour-hoffmans-death-saved-10-lives/

Not sure how I feel about the 'saving 10 lives' but his comments on the misuse of the term 'overdose' struck me:

Phil Hoffman, this kind, decent, magnificent, thunderous actor, who was never outwardly “right” for any role but who completely dominated the real estate upon which every one of his characters walked, did not die from an overdose of heroin — he died from heroin. We should stop implying that if he’d just taken the proper amount then everything would have been fine.  He didn’t die because he was partying too hard or because he was depressed — he died because he was an addict on a day of the week with a y in it.

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »

My dad used to do things to try and annoy me. Once he realized that he was starting to get under my skin he would ask "does this bother you?" and I would say YES and he would reply with "Don't let it".  At the time, I didn't understand how valuable that "skill" really is.

-

Offline Orson

• Super Moderator
  • Motorcycles: 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, 2004 Triumph Thruxton, 2016 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
A GREAT article by Russel Brand.  Personally I don't care for him, but this is an amazing piece of writing concerning his battle with staying clean:
The last time I thought about taking heroin was yesterday. I had received "an inconvenient truth" from a beautiful woman. It wasn't about climate change – I'm not that ecologically switched on – she told me she was pregnant and it wasn't mine.

I had to take immediate action. I put Morrissey on in my car as an external conduit for the surging melancholy, and as I wound my way through the neurotic Hollywood hills, the narrow lanes and tight bends were a material echo of the synaptic tangle where my thoughts stalled and jammed.

Morrissey, as ever, conducted a symphony, within and without and the tidal misery burgeoned. I am becoming possessed. The part of me that experienced the negative data, the self, is becoming overwhelmed, I can no longer see where I end and the pain begins. So now I have a choice.

I cannot accurately convey to you the efficiency of heroin in neutralising pain. It transforms a tight, white fist into a gentle, brown wave. From my first inhalation 15 years ago, it fumigated my private hell and lay me down in its hazy pastures and a bathroom floor in Hackney embraced me like a womb.

This shadow is darkly cast on the retina of my soul and whenever I am dislodged from comfort my focus falls there.

It is 10 years since I used drugs or drank alcohol and my life has improved immeasurably. I have a job, a house, a cat, good friendships and generally a bright outlook.

The price of this is constant vigilance because the disease of addiction is not rational. Recently for the purposes of a documentary on this subject I reviewed some footage of myself smoking heroin that my friend had shot as part of a typically exhibitionist attempt of mine to get clean.

I sit wasted and slumped with an unacceptable haircut against a wall in another Hackney flat (Hackney is starting to seem like part of the problem) inhaling fizzy, black snakes of smack off a scrap of crumpled foil. When I saw the tape a month or so ago, what is surprising is that my reaction is not one of gratitude for the positive changes I've experienced but envy at witnessing an earlier version of myself unencumbered by the burden of abstinence. I sat in a suite at the Savoy hotel, in privilege, resenting the woeful ratbag I once was, who, for all his problems, had drugs. That is obviously irrational.

Read the rest here:
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs

huh

I thought Brand was a brainless twat.

That piece of writing changes my perspective.