Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you ride today?  (Read 89286 times)

radon222 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online thatguy

• Motorcycles: a few
Re: Did you ride today?
« Reply #600 on: March 23, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »
You must use balance finesse and traction management to stay on top of an open class bike anywhere. The YZ is so torquey it makes a great trail bike. If you can ride that 4 wheeled thing over there you can ride anything.
sometimes WTF is the appropriate answer

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #601 on: March 23, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »
I kinda maybe sorta wanna do Sturgis ONCE, just to say I did. But then I see pictures, and I change my mind for another year or three. Daytona and Ocean City have been enough of a "bike week experience" for me so far. The Honda Hoot in Pidgeon Forge I did a bunch of years back was... interesting... the year I went. That poor town was not ready for those numbers.  :eek:

You habe to time it right. I went about 10 years ago and had the street all to myself. Granted it was 2 weeks before the Harleys showed up and 4am but I still had the town to myself.  I would go back again for those conditions.

the last Sunday of the rally is pretty close to that.  ;)  If you want to get the whole experience show up the last Saturday and you can experience the mess, then Sunday morning it's over. Do your shopping and looking around sturgis, then spend Monday-wednesday riding the relatively empty roads. Of course if you Just want to ride, come in September.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #602 on: March 23, 2020, 08:14:16 AM »
You must use balance finesse and traction management to stay on top of an open class bike anywhere. The YZ is so torquey it makes a great trail bike. If you can ride that 4 wheeled thing over there you can ride anything.

Have you tried a new 2-stroke? they are pretty impressive. I loved my CR500, but my 300XC-w works far better in the woods.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online thatguy

« Reply #603 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:44 AM »
Actually other than the tall first gear I love my CRF450 in the woods. Takes some practice but it'll do anything short of trials.

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #604 on: March 23, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
the new 450's are amazing machines, but being fat and old an out of shape they begin to tire me out after an hour or two. therefore I stick with my fat old man bike... lol..

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #605 on: April 05, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
Got out for a nice ride through Halifax and Pine Grove before heading back to Ephrata area.

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #606 on: April 06, 2020, 07:30:11 AM »
the new 450's are amazing machines, but being fat and old an out of shape they begin to tire me out after an hour or two. therefore I stick with my fat old man bike... lol..

My 530 (now 570) is a handful on single track. Too much weight. Too much power. My lack of skills and fitness surely doesn't help things. The last time I rode an extended bit of single track (enduro course from the week before) I overheated my clutch fluid from riding in a taller gear to manage the power and using the shit out of the clutch. Had to stop for a half hour to let it cool down and then I had enough clutch to get out of the woods. Having 50/50 tires (not aggressive DOT knobs) was also an issue. Wasn't a fun day but I survived. I think a 350 EXC is probably a good option for that stuff (plate required) but I'm more of a nasty dirt road / quad trail kinda rider any more, so the 530 is fine for that.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #607 on: April 07, 2020, 08:07:35 PM »
As a matter of fact I did, about 100mi. or so.
Didn't come close to any humans, just cows, plus I grabbed a tag while I was at it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online thatguy

« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2020, 08:37:33 PM »
Yep to work and back. In the rain.........oh no!!

Online st2sam

« Reply #609 on: May 03, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
I sure did, almost 300mi., mostly in Sullivan County Pennsylvania.
Awesome day weather wise, and about time.  8)

Online thatguy

« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »
Soon as I finish off this cup of coffee I'll drag the Road King out and head off to Virginia for some Padron cigars. Nice day to stock up.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
« Reply #611 on: May 15, 2020, 02:01:55 PM »
I did, in fact.  First time in too long.  Gorgeous morning.  Probably stinking hot this afternoon.  :)  Waaaaaaaaaah.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online st2sam

« Reply #612 on: May 15, 2020, 06:11:34 PM »
I did, in fact.  First time in too long.  Gorgeous morning.  Probably stinking hot this afternoon.  :)  Waaaaaaaaaah.
:needpics:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #613 on: May 15, 2020, 06:56:55 PM »
:needpics:

Pics at my joint would result in a gathering of black SUVs.  :tinfoil:
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #614 on: May 17, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
I trailered my son's Speed Triple and DR650 back to Pittsburgh from NY today in preparation for his move back next month. Of course I had to take the Speedie through the neighborhood just to make sure it would start and all. Bike runs good, even with 1.5 year old gas in it. I suspect someone needs to find a way to get rid of that old gas (afternoon ride tomorrow).
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
I trailered my son's Speed Triple and DR650 back to Pittsburgh from NY today in preparation for his move back next month. Of course I had to take the Speedie through the neighborhood just to make sure it would start and all. Bike runs good, even with 1.5 year old gas in it. I suspect someone needs to find a way to get rid of that old gas (afternoon ride tomorrow).
😁😁😁
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
I put fresh gas in the Versys today.  Only took 2 hours to run 15 miles over to the Shell station and back. 
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #617 on: May 17, 2020, 09:22:27 PM »
I put fresh gas in the Versys today.  Only took 2 hours to run 15 miles over to the Shell station and back.

What did you do push it there? Or did you take the scenic route to the shell station that was 15 miles away as the crow flies.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #618 on: May 18, 2020, 06:08:08 AM »
I rode AGAIN today.  Beautiful morning when I left the house.  Final destination is at a different elevation with its own weather.  Cold, fog, misty rain and colder.  Meh.  Still rather be on the bike.  :)  Well, I'd RATHER be on a versys but beggars and all.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #619 on: May 18, 2020, 07:24:43 AM »

What did you do push it there? Or did you take the scenic route to the shell station that was 15 miles away as the crow flies.

:rolf:  I now know I can ride at least 15 miles after the warning light starts flashing. 
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online st2sam

« Reply #620 on: May 22, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »
I sure did, over 200mi.. I left at 7:00, home by lunch before the rain.

Two Dunslop Roadfart III's mounted yesterday. Nutt'in finer than new shoes. :thumbsup:

Up State NY..

Online st2sam

« Reply #621 on: May 23, 2020, 08:06:12 AM »
Adding one more picture from yesterdays ride.
This one in the NE. corner of Pennsylvania.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #622 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Yep.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #623 on: May 25, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
Yesterday I learned that the Fjr is a great platform to get us to the hiking trails.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #624 on: June 03, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »
Yep, it looked nice this morning. Didn’t pack rain gear.  Saw the clouds rolling in around noon so I headed for home.  Thunder, lightning, down-pouring rain, gale force winds; it was a wild ride home. 

I could see clear skies just ahead of me. I tried to outrun the storm front. Didn’t happen. The news just said that the storm front was moving at 90 mph.  Versys handled flawlessly. 

Got soaked to the skin.  Anybody have a modicum of common sense they could share?  ;) :nuts:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:49:21 PM by Skee »

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #625 on: June 04, 2020, 06:13:09 AM »
Yep, it looked nice this morning. Didn’t pack rain gear.  Saw the clouds rolling in around noon so I headed for home.  Thunder, lightning, down-pouring rain, gale force winds; it was a wild ride home. 

I could see clear skies just ahead of me. I tried to outrun the storm front. Didn’t happen. The news just said that the storm front was moving at 90 mph.  Versys handled flawlessly. 

Got soaked to the skin.  Anybody have a modicum of common sense they could share?  ;) :nuts:

Holy cow.  I watched that Dorecho march across the country and was glad that my survey crew was off the Delaware River and back home before it hit it there.

Online mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #626 on: June 04, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »

Can't the Versys go faster than 90?  :squid:

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #627 on: June 04, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
Yeah, wife says "roofs are blowing off buildings and your dumb ass is out riding your motorcycle." 

I was able to stay close to the leading front, so I avoided the worst of it.  Every bit as bad as that storm Scott & I rode through in Kentucky circa 2014.  I just wanted to get home for a nice hot bowl of soup. 

Fortunately, I always a little plastic bag in my mesh jacket, so my wallet stayed dry.

Can't the Versys go faster than 90?  :squid:

I almost stayed ahead of it.  Got caught at the lights in Quakertown about 10 miles from home.

Probably shouldn't have switched it into Rain mode.   :facepalm:

Online thatguy

« Reply #628 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
8K miles so far. Riding daily now that spring decided to show up.

Online st2sam

« Reply #629 on: June 08, 2020, 06:09:04 AM »
Wow.
Great picture, thanks.  :thumbsup:
(what camera, phone?)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #630 on: June 08, 2020, 06:56:21 AM »
Rode the XT in today.  Just need to keep telling myself that 72 mpg is for the greater good.  :)  52 degrees when I left the house.  Yes I did wear my Gerbings.  Doesn't suck that I have a back way to come in that's a steep, winding dirt road.  Hopefully the new lid will arrive today and the temp screening process will go faster and not require helmet gymnastics each morning. 

Got the rack re-mounted yesterday and attached a Pelican case for my topcase.  Stole Kim's shift linkage.  Come to think of it, it was Kim's rack as well.  Need to come up with a solution for the contents of said case not getting blended when I come up the dirt road that's all washboarded. 

Online thatguy

« Reply #631 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
Wow.
(what camera, phone?)

Nikon D3100/Nikon 25-50 f4 Ais chipped for digital use@ISO200/1250 f5

Taken at 8:15 during the golden hour for lighting.

And I rode over to Winchester VA to pick up a few Padron cigars today. :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:35:56 PM by thatguy »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #632 on: June 09, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
Yep, rode in again today.  New lid did exactly as expected.  Temp screener was able to get me without issue after I lifted the bar out of the way.  Even commented on the helmet.  "oooooh, fancy."  Coming up the back way was much nicer today after taking the tire pressure down about 10 lbs.  I keep forgetting how sensitive to pressure this little bike is. 

I love this time of year.  It's nearly light when I leave and still bright and sunshiny when I go home.  The drop down sun visor is a lifesaver since I can't have shades on when I leave but within 15 or 20 minutes, this sun is blasting me right in the face.  And depending on the lights, I may not stop hardly at all en route to work. 

Online kendenton

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
« Reply #633 on: June 09, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
Wow.
(what camera, phone?)

Nikon D3100/Nikon 25-50 f4 Ais chipped for digital use@ISO200/1250 f5

Taken at 8:15 during the golden hour for lighting.

And I rode over to Winchester VA to pick up a few Padron cigars today. :D

That 25-50 is a great old lens!
IBA #37902

Online st2sam

« Reply #634 on: June 20, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »
I sure did, very early AM start.
Only one pic..

"Beef - It's what's for Dinner".  :drool:

Online thatguy

« Reply #635 on: June 21, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »
Yes I did.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #636 on: June 22, 2020, 07:22:21 AM »
Indeed.  Had to stop and snug up my shifter that was almost off after bashing the poor thing to death this weekend.  :)  Must get red loctite.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Yep.  And its looking like I'm gonna get nailed in some nasty thunderstorms on the way home.  yay.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #638 on: June 25, 2020, 09:35:11 PM »
Yes.  And I got wet.   

It started as the stinky wet that comes from full mesh gear in 88F and 70% RH followed by a cooling pop up sun shower kind that wasn't on the radar when I left home.  Then there was the refreshing kind you get from a shower after you get back home. 

Online thatguy

« Reply #639 on: June 26, 2020, 06:20:28 AM »
Uh huh...........and the guy at the gas station noticed my tag bracket broke,fell off and took the tag with it. Fuck........DMV is appointment only and booked 'til August. Guess we'll see how many times I can get pulled over in 60 days.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #640 on: June 26, 2020, 06:27:15 AM »
Yes, using the much higher average speed but longer route to the office.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #641 on: June 26, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Uh huh...........and the guy at the gas station noticed my tag bracket broke,fell off and took the tag with it. Fuck........DMV is appointment only and booked 'til August. Guess we'll see how many times I can get pulled over in 60 days.

Got any pics of the bike with the tag visible?  Almost certainly not, I realize but it could help out.  You're artsy.  Draw one and laminate it.  :)

Online slayman

« Reply #642 on: June 30, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »
Yes, 5th day in a row commuting.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »
Yep.  Rode Kermit instead of the XT.  I washed it yesterday so since they're faster when they're clean, it seemed prudent.

Online thatguy

« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:35 PM »
Another ride to work day. I work at a Harley dealer so.............

Online slayman

« Reply #645 on: Yesterday at 11:39:17 AM »
FJR & ZZR at the rvr.

Online thatguy

« Reply #646 on: Yesterday at 01:11:04 PM »
Rode it out of the garage to wash the crud offa the Road King. I'll shower up to wash the crud offa me and go riding this afternoon.