Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you ride today?  (Read 89546 times)

Offline scott189

• Motorcycles: 1968triumph650 chopper/2007crf450x/2014 KTM 1190 ADVENTURE
Did you ride today?
« on: February 01, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
Came out of hibernation today! Went for a little ride and here are a few pictures.  Three Mile Island Middletown, PA

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
Re: Did you ride today?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
Yup.  Pics in the PA rides thread.

The ice flows on the Susquehanna are crazy.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Some people are no fun.  ;)   Next time, I'll post up in the PA Rides thread like the rest of you "conformists".  [It's that not so subtle touch of sarcasm that gets me into trouble.]  I'll bet all youz guys even ride the same kinda motorsicles, don't ya.  Today I feel like being different and postin here.

Came out of hibernation today! Went for a little ride and here are a few pictures.  Three Mile Island Middletown, PA

What a coincidence - I got out for a little ride yesterday too - my first ride this year.

Wasn't far - only 18 miles- but it was sweet. 

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,
but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Offline st2sam

• Motorcycles: 2014 Valkyrie 1993 Ducati 907ie
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »

Ain't no stop'in ya now!
Your gonna love it!

(I think?)
She's a big girl, but boy can she dance.

"Traffic was thick as NRA members at an ammo sale." - Sleazy Rider

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
Hmm... My Wee dash looked nothing like that.   :naughty:

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
OK, here's another clue.  Does that SOB in the photo look like anyone you know?

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.    Henry Ford

but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.   Vincent van Gogh

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Ride it a little more this time of the year and you won't have to worry about "creeper reflection".

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
Oh...did you pull the flies yet?   ;D

Offline st2sam

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »

:clap:

I'll be waiting for you over in the Kawasaki section...

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
  • Motorcycles: Kawasaki C-14
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
Congrats Skee! Farkle away!

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Full story – I finally pulled the trigger – it could almost be described as an accidental shooting.

I was still mulling the choices around in my feeble mind.  Believe me, there’s lots of time and space for thoughts to circulate.

I had pretty much ruled out the Ninja 1000 on insurance costs.  The estimated quotes I got from Progressive said the Ninja was 2 or 3 times as expensive to insure as a Connie.  What I learned in hindsight is that Progressive’s estimates – even though made on my policy – are not very accurate.  The actual cost to add the Connie to my policy was $300 different than the estimate they gave me.  So who knows what the real cost of the Ninja was – not that it mattered – I didn’t like the luggage options. 

I’m telling you; if they ever put a half-fairing and suitable hardcase luggage on that Yammie triple all you guys are ever gonna see is taillights.  But I digress.

I stopped at a dealership to compare fairing and footpeg positions of the ’13 FJR to the ’14 FJR.  I sat on the ’14 FJR at the DC motoshow and didn’t like the way the fairing collided with my shin.  Note to RDoug: Riding posture is just plain different for us who are too-tall to be cowboys. 

The dealer I stopped at had a brand new didn’t-even-have-oil-in-it left-over 2013 Connie on the floor at what I thought was a grab-it on-the-spot discount.  Same as Montgomeryville was asking for a used 2012 with 7000 miles on the clock.  Plus I got to use my $500 Kawi Kash discount from the show. 

In truth, I went home & discussed it with my wife.  I was seriously considering a 2011 BMW R1200 RT with 7000 miles on it; one really really nice machine!  Lighter, far more comfortable for the passenger, and loaded with accessories and electronic suspension.  Three things concerned me: more $$$, knee room (my knee doesn’t quite fit under the notch in the tank with my foot on the peg), and I got a whiff of the notorious BMW attitude while perusing accessories and that just turned me completely off. 

I’ve never agreed with the philosophy that being the most technologically advanced makes you the best.  Just for a moment, let’s consider civilizations in general.  The bushmen lived happily on the savannahs for 5,000 years without leaving any permanent scars before America was discovered.  We’ve managed to progress further technologically in the last 400 years than those savages ever did.  And we leave hundreds of Love Canals as a legacy to future generations.  Meanwhile, those primitive people left a pristine environment for their children.  Now [let me ask you] who had the “better” civilization?  Anyway, I digress; this site is about motorcycling.  Gimmie back my 2-stroke!  I can't deal with that better-than-thou attitude because I bought a more technologically advanced machine, whether it's because you got chrome steel fenders or a single-sided swing arm.. [RANT OVER] 

So here I am with a full ear-to-ear sh@t-eatin grin.  An I'm glad it's a rice-burner cause gasohol is crap. 

Got back to the dealership and closed the deal on the Connie not long before another prospective buyer who had also gone home to think it over.  Not my favorite color; it will show the dirt, but at that price, I guess I could learn how to keep a motorcycle clean.

PS  Heated grips are the BEST.

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
What a coincidence - I got out for a little ride yesterday too - my first ride this year.

Congrats Frank! I hope you quadrupled your tire budget.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
If I take a prolonged bathroom break the next time we're at lunch don't worry.  I'm just out in the parking lot swapping my silver passenger rails for your black ones.   ;D

I may as well swap the black wheels as well.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
Uhh, I might be swappin cans.

There's lots I like on this machine.  The exhaust ain't one of them.

Did I mention the HEATED GRIPS.  My hands were toasty warm yesterday without heated gloves. 

My hands would never stay completely warm on my Wee, even with heated gloves.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
Well the good thing is if you decide to swap windshields there are half a dozen different ones close by you can test drive.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »
I will eventually do something with the windshield.  I was thinking one of those bolt on aero-flips might do the trick.

It's great (for me) when it's in the down position.  Nice and quiet.  No buffeting.  Almost feels naked.

Sounds like a wind tunnel when it's all the way up.  Earbuds cure that.  Air chops me right across the helmet.

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
Keep your eye on the for sale sections. You may find a great deal on just what you were looking for.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php

http://forum.cog-online.org/

Online MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »
Hi, Beans!!! :wave:

Welcome to the club, Skee!!!  :smiley_thumb:
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
I heard that membership has its rewards, ahh, err, cookies!

Offline mastros2

• Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »
Congrats, Frank!   

Offline scott189

• Motorcycles: 1968triumph650 chopper/2007crf450x/2014 KTM 1190 ADVENTURE
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
Nice ride Frank!

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
Frank you suck.

At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
Nice Ride!  Congrats Frank!

To the OP, I did ride yesterday.  Sheri and I did a liesurly 120 loop around High Rock Lake on the hack.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
Frank you suck.

It's called Venturi effect  :chili:

Offline Mustang

• Allentown,Pa
  • Motorcycles: K1600GT
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »
Full story – I finally pulled the trigger – it could almost be described as an accidental shooting.

I was still mulling the choices around in my feeble mind.  Believe me, there’s lots of time and space for thoughts to circulate.

I had pretty much ruled out the Ninja 1000 on insurance costs.  The estimated quotes I got from Progressive said the Ninja was 2 or 3 times as expensive to insure as a Connie.  What I learned in hindsight is that Progressive’s estimates – even though made on my policy – are not very accurate.  The actual cost to add the Connie to my policy was $300 different than the estimate they gave me.  So who knows what the real cost of the Ninja was – not that it mattered – I didn’t like the luggage options. 

I’m telling you; if they ever put a half-fairing and suitable hardcase luggage on that Yammie triple all you guys are ever gonna see is taillights.  But I digress.

I stopped at a dealership to compare fairing and footpeg positions of the ’13 FJR to the ’14 FJR.  I sat on the ’14 FJR at the DC motoshow and didn’t like the way the fairing collided with my shin.  Note to RDoug: Riding posture is just plain different for us who are too-tall to be cowboys. 

The dealer I stopped at had a brand new didn’t-even-have-oil-in-it left-over 2013 Connie on the floor at what I thought was a grab-it on-the-spot discount.  Same as Montgomeryville was asking for a used 2012 with 7000 miles on the clock.  Plus I got to use my $500 Kawi Kash discount from the show. 

In truth, I went home & discussed it with my wife.  I was seriously considering a 2011 BMW R1200 RT with 7000 miles on it; one really really nice machine!  Lighter, far more comfortable for the passenger, and loaded with accessories and electronic suspension.  Three things concerned me: more $$$, knee room (my knee doesn’t quite fit under the notch in the tank with my foot on the peg), and I got a whiff of the notorious BMW attitude while perusing accessories and that just turned me completely off. 

I’ve never agreed with the philosophy that being the most technologically advanced makes you the best.  Just for a moment, let’s consider civilizations in general.  The bushmen lived happily on the savannahs for 5,000 years without leaving any permanent scars before America was discovered.  We’ve managed to progress further technologically in the last 400 years than those savages ever did.  And we leave hundreds of Love Canals as a legacy to future generations.  Meanwhile, those primitive people left a pristine environment for their children.  Now [let me ask you] who had the “better” civilization?  Anyway, I digress; this site is about motorcycling.  Gimmie back my 2-stroke!  I can't deal with that better-than-thou attitude because I bought a more technologically advanced machine, whether it's because you got chrome steel fenders or a single-sided swing arm.. [RANT OVER] 

So here I am with a full ear-to-ear sh@t-eatin grin.  An I'm glad it's a rice-burner cause gasohol is crap. 

Got back to the dealership and closed the deal on the Connie not long before another prospective buyer who had also gone home to think it over.  Not my favorite color; it will show the dirt, but at that price, I guess I could learn how to keep a motorcycle clean.

PS  Heated grips are the BEST.

Very nice!

Offline JamminJere

• Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours14 123,000 miles young
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »
Now I feel like Frank.... too much work and I've missed this for 6 days??? And nobody even called??... lol

Congrats Frank, I think you made the right choice!

Oh and while CB is swapping out the handrails, don't be surprised if your odometer jumps to 100K.. :)

JJ

Offline Royal Tiger

• Deutsche Rüstungs-Abteilung
  • Motorcycles: See Signature
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »
Nice bike Frank.  Congrats.  Her Ninja came from Scott's.  We were very happy with the deal we got for it.  Her XT came from their sister dealership; Tri-City Powersports. 
~Dan

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »
Now I feel like Frank.... too much work and I've missed this for 6 days??? And nobody even called??... lol

Congrats Frank, I think you made the right choice!

Oh and while CB is swapping out the handrails, don't be surprised if your odometer jumps to 100K.. :)

JJ

I'd posted something on FB if I had an account  :o 
I will call you BEFORE I take her on a shakedown ride.

Right now I'm concentrating on keeping the voltmeter above 12.2.  Plugged into the battery tender full time.   First bike I've ever had to keep on a charger, even part time.  Sure looks clean & pretty sitting in the garage.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »
First bike I've ever had to keep on a charger, even part time. 

:headscratch:

Offline JamminJere

• Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours14 123,000 miles young
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
Frank,

If they just put the acid in the battery just before you brought it home, it may have been down a little. But the charging system should read 14.3 or 14.4 when it's running down the road. If it is on a battery tender, is the light going to solid green??

lol... I remember those days... Repetitive trips to the garage just to gawk...

Enjoy! You deserve it...

I'll be waiting for that call.. Oh and I'm ready to pull the 15th set of flies and install a PCV for ya when you are ready.

JJ

Offline jeets

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
Uhh, I might be swappin cans.

There's lots I like on this machine.  The exhaust ain't one of them.

Did I mention the HEATED GRIPS.  My hands were toasty warm yesterday without heated gloves. 

My hands would never stay completely warm on my Wee, even with heated gloves.

Frankly!  Congrats bro!

Cans?  Wait another Kawasaki Prius?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline jeets

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »

Another flying pig added to the stable!

Offline Mustang

• Allentown,Pa
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

Another flying pig added to the stable!

Jeesh,why too many pigs:)

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 06:20:38 PM »

lol... I remember those days... Repetitive trips to the garage just to gawk...

JJ

OK what's a PVC?

LOL.  Wife keeps asking if it's still there everytime I go out to look. 

I'm going out now to check on it, just to be sure.   :inlove:

It's a glass mat, not a dry charge.  They told me it was a new battery and on a charger all night before I picked it up.  Read 14.4 when I pulled in the garage.  Week later it's 12.7. Still normal, but Kawi book says it needs to be plugged in if its not run for a few weeks, ESP in this cold. 

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »
Yeah. The manual also said I should have checked my valves at 15,000 miles. But only if I live in the USA.

Offline Spanky

• Contributor
  • Dogs get it
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
A PCV is a Power Commander 5 that you can install to remap your fuel/air ratio. Good idea to have if you remove the flies and add an exhaust. You can join Jeets in the Kawasaki Prius club, but this route is not recommended and may result in revocation of your man card if any other man infractions are observed.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
Nope
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Offline PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

It's a glass mat, not a dry charge.  They told me it was a new battery and on a charger all night before I picked it up.  Read 14.4 when I pulled in the garage.  Week later it's 12.7. Still normal, but Kawi book says it needs to be plugged in if its not run for a few weeks, ESP in this cold.

That's about right. Get a trickle charger and you'll be fine.
Ride safe!

Offline Scottzilla

• Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, Tuono, 600 pound dirt bike
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Congrats skee! Nothing in the world like new bike smell.   Except maybe... 8)

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
4 sure

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »
Wouldn't exactly call this a ride.  Took the Connie out today.  Now have a grand total of 85 miles on her.  Heard a strange noise in the front end -  heard a click when I turned the bars - decided to have the dealer check it out.  Was worried the triple clamp wasn't torqued down right.  Had all the guys in the shop laughing - me too - with them.  Turns out it is the sound of plastic cable flexing against the triple clamp.  Man do I feel like the FOOL.  Took the long way home.  Was hoping to spot a green Street Triple parked at a horse farm - ranch - whatever.  First batch of parts arrived.  So I decided to start farkling.

FIRST - MEASURE CAREFULLY -WOT :headscratch:

Ring mount installed

All packed and ready to go

Stock rack

New rack

This is why I decided to pursue a technical degree instead of shop mechanics.   The mounting pins were a little tight.  I didn't want to scratch my new rack.  So I slid my finger between the Givi case and the rack to prevent it from getting scratched.  Worked out pretty well, in one sense.   
OK, it was a total failure! :withstupid:

OK - IT WAS A TOTAL DISASTER

I needed to apply general anesthetic to kill the pain
Note to JEFF - I like mine dry  :beerchug: the little bottle suites me just fine

Good afternoon you STOners.

Offline Mustang

• Allentown,Pa
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »
Tough day there Frank :)

Offline st2sam

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
You know your in love when your digits come second.  :razz:

As far as new bike bugs, I had to tighten my header bolts, that's it.

Skee, thanks for sharing, and no I didn't get out even though it hit 50*...   (work >:()
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:20:01 AM by st2sam »

Offline jeets

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
Where's my glass Frank?  Drinking alone with a friend within 5 or so miles is a violation!

She looks good!  My baby got new shoes, sensors, rear break pads, and a sticker!  She's ready for the spring.

Speaking of which I'm riding down Fri for the spring meet.  I don't know what your plans are but keep me posted.

Online Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
and a sticker!  She's ready for the spring.

This one?

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
That was your glass.  Mine was full and had ice. 

Offline marc11

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:02 AM »
Nice bike congrats. You know it always makes me lol when some gets a new bike and within hours they have it apart and putting new bits on, but it is the way we are wired.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2014 R1200RT
2002 XR400

Offline Mustang

• Allentown,Pa
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Hi Jeets, Im going Friday, so stay in touch!

Offline jeets

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:22 AM »
LMAO!!!  Huh?  Can't hear you over the sound of my loud pipes!

and a sticker!  She's ready for the spring.

This one?