Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buying used in PA??  (Read 132 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Buying used in PA??
« on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
Is there a requirement in PA to have a notarized bill of sale or notarized anything when buying a used bike?  Historically, used sales is I sign and date the title and take your money.  Is it different up yonder?  Might be selling the XT tomorrow and dude is asking about a notary.  Why?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online smoker

• Motorcycles: FJR
Re: Buying used in PA??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:56:27 AM »
No need for a bill of sale.
Sign off, take his money, he comes to PA, goes to notary with signed title, shows them insurance, gives them half what the bike is worth in taxes, gets a tag and Bob's his uncle.
Founding member, Keystone contingent, Flying Pig Association

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:01:44 AM »
No idea.  Could be a PA sales tax thing.  Technically, PA requires you to sign the title in the presence of a notary.  They may need a notarized bill of sale to get the title registered in PA. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 01:48:25 PM »
PA requires that the title be signed by both parties and notarized when the buyer goes to transfer the title and get registration, etc.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 03:00:05 PM »
FWIW, have a notarized bill of sale...or an affidavit of value.  Something the parties attest is the sales price.  I had a hassle like this with a trailer I bought in NC and tried to title in VA.  Never mind the blanks were filled in on the title document and I had a copy of the paperwork showing the executor had the authority to sell the trailer on behalf of the estate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
I'm a Pennsylvania resident.

In the past, purchasing a titled item from another Pennsylvania resident required that both the seller and buyer be present at the same time to have the signatures notarized. 

Now, a Pennsylvania seller can sign the title and have it notarized IF the buyer's name and address are filled in on the title so that a Pennsylvania buyer can do the paperwork at their leisure. They do not have to be present.

When I purchase a vehicle from a seller in another state, I have the seller sign it and I get a bill of sale. The notary is happy with that.

When I sell a vehicle to a seller in another state, I sign the title and give them a bill of sale.

Do not fill out anything but your name as it reads on the title and address unless you know what you are doing.  It didn't happen to me, but I knew the party...it took him 3 months to get the title straightened out.  The car was impounded in NYC because the title came back as unprocessable or some bullshit.  The seller had filled in the actual mileage on the title, but the correct mileage was recorded as "exempt" and the transfer was refused.  Fucking bureaucrats. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
meh...fell through anyway.  all that typing wasted.  :)
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"