Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hipster Biker Bashing  (Read 8397 times)

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
Hipster Biker Bashing
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »
I stumbled across this blog and couldn't stop reading and laughing out loud at the author's rant on hipsters. 

Enjoy.

Pabst Blue Ribbons for everyone!   :beerchug:

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Offline capirex

• Arthurian
  • Motorcycles: R12S
Re: Hipster Biker Bashing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Not sure what was going on in that first vid. Celebrating Halloween with a bullshit road block?

But Blood and Oil I liked.  I kind of thought I got it, but then I wondered if it was a spoof - making fun of hipsters - pandering to a site that makes fun of hipsters.  Dunno. 
I do know that I'd rather be doing what those hipsters were doing than whatever the fuck it is I do everyday.

I followed the link to follow hipsterbikevideos and found this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

OH!

Offline Cookie

• Super Moderator
  • Tacos are life.
  • Motorcycles: '16 MG Audace, '10 Ural T, '19 Ural Gear Up and from out of nowhere, the surprise '06 KLR 650!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:37 PM »
OH!!!!
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

― Frank Zappa

Offline Orson

• Super Moderator
  • Motorcycles: 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, 2004 Triumph Thruxton, 2016 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »
I'm glad I haven't become as cynical as that blogger...yet  ;D

I didn't see any PBR in the video  :headscratch:

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 05:24:55 AM »
I'm glad I haven't become as cynical as that blogger...yet  ;D

Agreed, it's funny.  But, I detect jealousy in the author.  You?

I followed the link to follow hipsterbikevideos and found this:

OH!

OH!

Offline Orson

• Super Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:54 AM »
Back in the early days of the innernets, there wuz a web page called The Highway 17 Hall of Shame.

This guy would take pictures of bad drivers he spotted during his commute, then go home, post the pictures along with blistering critiques of their driving. It wuz hilarious  ;D BMW drivers especially felt his wrath  :D

His hate mail wuz epic  ;D

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Back in the early days of the innernets, there wuz a web page called The Highway 17 Hall of Shame.

This guy would take pictures of bad drivers he spotted during his commute, then go home, post the pictures along with blistering critiques of their driving. It wuz hilarious  ;D BMW drivers especially felt his wrath  :D

His hate mail wuz epic  ;D

I beleive I remember that site . . . . . good fun . . . . . so much of what passes for ranting these days is simply adolescent whining, with no iron in the irony.

But, I'm with Capirex -- I ain't riding. They are.
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Offline M.Brane

• Motorcycles: 3 RC46, GTS1000
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
Please, please, stop ruining 70’s Japanese UJMs.

There are so many of these things around here it's not even funny anymore. Just a bunch of hipster douchebags trying to sell some poor old bike they've butchered into a "bobber" for 10X what they payed for it before they fucked it up.

Offline Orson

• Super Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »
I'm happy to see young blood coming into motorcycling, even if it is hipster doofuses  :)

Offline Cablebandit

• Contributor
  • Pig Pilot
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
  • Motorcycles: A Blue One
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:05:25 AM »
That made me want to shave my beard.  :o

Offline Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
I don't know, I probably would have had a few PBR's and had a good time ;)
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
  • Motorcycles: 04 FJR, 06 Speed triple, 88 EX500, 05 YZ250, 91 KX500
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 08:40:29 AM »

Are you back in Madison?  :beerchug:
At the risk of encouraging him, I agree with Cookie.   "Bomber"

Every day is my birthday

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »

Are you back in Madison?  :beerchug:

I wish!! I had a pretty good time there!! Unfortunately I won't be back anytime soon.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
So is PBR making a comeback among the hipsters?  It's the beer my dad drank in the summer- well, that Old Milwaukee and Hamm's.  I usually have a few cans of PBR about just cause the smell of one reminds me of the farm on a hot summer evening when I was a kid.  Sometimes I grab an Old Milwaukee tall boy for the same reason.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
PBR tall cans are the ne plus ultra of hipster bevvies here in hipsterland Seattle.
Usually a buck, buck-fiddy.
If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
  • Nothing beats good line of sight
  • Motorcycles: 1999 VFR
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
For some reason I never equated hipsters to professional bull riders.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
PBR tall cans are the ne plus ultra of hipster bevvies here in hipsterland Seattle.
Usually a buck, buck-fiddy.

yep, the bar at our local ski hill has them for $2.25 and everything else is $4.00, all the youngster drink it, as well as a few of us old guys that never quit drinking it..

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:33:09 AM »
Growing up in Milwaukee, all the taverns had PBR signs hanging outside and I drank it too. I hadn't bought it for years and recently, I tried it again. Turns out it tastes pretty good and is dirt cheap. 8)
Before reading this topic, I assumed that it would be about rat cafe racers, not rat choppers.  :eek:That's a huge sacrifice to be cool.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
Growing up in Milwaukee, all the taverns had PBR signs hanging outside and I drank it too.

And they still do.

Every day is my birthday

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
Not around here. Hipsters will argue the merits of microbrews until they're blue in the face. Too many good beers to choose from to drink bad beer. Hell, I pass 4 brewerys on the way home each day, and I'd much rather get something tasty at twice the alcohol content than drink cheap PBR. I'm stopping on the way home for a 1/2 gallon of a new tap from my local after work stop, Echo brewing. Grand Cru - a sweetish belgian style ale with a bunch of desserty flavors in it. Looks dark red, but you can still clear and see through. running about 11.5%ABV, but light enough to drink easily. Like 60-65IBU. And only $15 for a 1/2gal growler.

Nummy. And not terribly expensive for better content.

LT

Great googly-moogly!

Offline Black Hills

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
Not around here. Hipsters will argue the merits of microbrews until they're blue in the face. Too many good beers to choose from to drink bad beer. Hell, I pass 4 brewerys on the way home each day, and I'd much rather get something tasty at twice the alcohol content than drink cheap PBR. I'm stopping on the way home for a 1/2 gallon of a new tap from my local after work stop, Echo brewing. Grand Cru - a sweetish belgian style ale with a bunch of desserty flavors in it. Looks dark red, but you can still clear and see through. running about 11.5%ABV, but light enough to drink easily. Like 60-65IBU. And only $15 for a 1/2gal growler.

LT

I like my microbrews as well, but we have a different opinion of what is important. Alcohol content much over 7.5% is getting to high for me. I like a nice IPA somewhere in the 6.6-7.5 range 80-100 IBU. there are a few very tasty selections available. but if I'm hanging out with friends a few PBR's are just fine :). I would venture to guess that PBR out of a tap labeled "bob's American lager" at a local ale house would be well received.

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »
Blood and oil? WTF was that? I must be getting old.

- Dan
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline JonS

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Tuono, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »

LT

I like my microbrews as well, but we have a different opinion of what is important. Alcohol content much over 7.5% is getting to high for me. I like a nice IPA somewhere in the 6.6-7.5 range 80-100 IBU. there are a few very tasty selections available. but if I'm hanging out with friends a few PBR's are just fine :). I would venture to guess that PBR out of a tap labeled "bob's American lager" at a local ale house would be well received.
IPA , with 6.5%- 7.2% was my friend for the last 3 years, but these days, I really don't want something more that 5%. The trouble is that IPA has an required taste, which I have, so most anything seems very mild in favor, or not appealing.
You can't avoid aging, but you don't have to get old.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
Those sonsabitches wouldn't sell me a growler of that killer Belgian... something about being afraid that people would take it home and slam the whole thing (at 11%) and end up with alcohol poisoning. That's bogus. Had to settle for Balefire Irish Red to keep me company this evening while the mother in law is here...
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Offline R Doug

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 05:23:25 AM »
Those sonsabitches wouldn't sell me a growler of that killer Belgian... something about being afraid that people would take it home and slam the whole thing (at 11%) and end up with alcohol poisoning. That's bogus. Had to settle for Balefire Irish Red to keep me company this evening while the mother in law is here...
LT

What!?

But, you can walk into any liquor store and pick up a 1/2 gallon of something with way more alcohol.  Ridiculous.

Offline Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 07:06:55 AM »
I agree. More likely that it was a limited brewing and they preferred to sell it glass by glass to make it last longer. I'd be more understanding if that was the story over the other dumbassery...
Great googly-moogly!

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »

LT

I was a complete beer snob until a few years ago.  I only drank good microbrew, which I still love  :inlove: .  However, I began to make a distinction in my own head- now I have a few different categories of drinkin':  wine, liquors, good beer, cheap beer, etc.  The difference (yes, it's only a head game, but so is life) was that in my own head I was able to simply put cheap beer into a different category, with it's own set of expectations.  Ever since then, cheap beer has a place too- just very different than good beer.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 03:00:48 PM »
I guess I'm a hipster. I don't drink cheap beer swill. I'm old enough to remember how awful the national brewers were. And still are. Then I lived in Germany ('79-'82) and learned what real beer was all about. I could travel 30 miles in any direction and find a different local beer. Some good, some not so good.  ;)

I guess my point is, I enjoy regional and local beers enough to disdain nationally distributed ones. For me, that's part of the reason to travel.

And don't get me started on cans.  :angry:

:lol:

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
I like blind taste tests.   I've learned that price and/or limited quantity does not indicate quality, although there is a correlation in many cases.   All beers taste better the closer to the brewery you get.  Any beer that hasn't been stored properly tastes like crap. I don't need a label or a price tag to tell me how much I will like something. 
"The mistake you cannot make is to judge the past through the eyes of the present.  Judge the past on its own terms."  
João Zilhão on the Assimilation Model of Human Origin

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline mxvet57

• Contributor
  • Loud horns save lives
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
I guess I'm a hipster. I don't drink cheap beer swill.

So i take it you don't drink Lone Star.     :couch:

Every day is my birthday

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
I guess I'm a hipster. I don't drink cheap beer swill.

So i take it you don't drink Lone Star.     :couch:

Or Pearl or Falstaff or Texas Pride.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Dan K

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '10 VFR 1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
So I went to this very cool place to see live music in Evanston, called S.P.A.C.E., for a Maceo Parker show (look him up if you don't know him), and this hipster dude dressed all grungy with a hat like my grandpa used to wear when he was driving (long, long ago), ordered a PBR. thought of you guys immediately.
Sometimes, the only answer is defenestration.

Offline kneescrubber

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
So I went to this very cool place to see live music in Evanston, called S.P.A.C.E., for a Maceo Parker show (look him up if you don't know him), and this hipster dude dressed all grungy with a hat like my grandpa used to wear when he was driving (long, long ago), ordered a PBR. thought of you guys immediately.

I have a couple of his cd's. James Brown's old saxophonist. Good stuff.  :thumbsup:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Rincewind

• Motorcycles: DL650A
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
The animated GIF of a melancholy Beckham taking dirt to the face was pretty funny.  I'm glad the new BMW nineT lifestyle ad with heavy hipster buzz was recognized. 

I had no idea that they had armored flannel available now.  This is good to see - not for myself, but to show that safety is being considered.  Now to get rid of the half-helmets....