Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Compact Tractor w/ loader and hoe  (Read 6095 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: XT250, Ninja 500R
Compact Tractor w/ loader and hoe
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
I have 20 wooded acres w/ a steep winding driveway that is 2/10ths of a mile long that crosses a wet weather stream in three places (read culverts and accompanying maint.) and it's all shale.  It's at about 60% of what I'd like it to be.  I want to make it wider, smooth it out etc... 
That combined with a crapton of wood I'll need to deal with and any light leveling, stump work and gardening needs leads to my requirement for said device.  I've just started preliminary research and found this Mahindra Max 28XL.
Looks like a nice alternative to the much more expensive JD/Kubota/New Holland options that I've seen.  So, for the sake of arguement, lets assume I need a compact tractor w/ a bucket and a hoe attachment...
Do you have any experience with Mahindra?  What do you think of this size based on the HP vs similarly powered larger rigs?  Is this enough tractor?  I realize I will have to get a dozer up there for the big boy work of leveling and such but for the regular maintenance of 20 wooded acres, what would you recommend and why?

http://mahindrausa.com/tractors/max/max-28xl-4wd-shuttle

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Re: Compact Tractor w/ loader and hoe
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »
We recently went through a similar review. 

First off, you should check out www.tractorbynet.com

Huge community and excellent resource.

Next, don't consider just the tractor purchase price.  You really need to go with a tractor brand that has a GOOD local dealer near to you.  Tractors get used hard and will break.  You want parts and generally repair services you can rely on.

All the majors (JD, CNH, Kubota, MF) and the major minors (Kioti, Mahindra, LS) are pretty reasonable machines.  The differences in dealer support are more critical than the differences in the tractors themselves.

You're a bit west of me, but we use Messicks.   They are rock solid for Case New Holland, Kubota and Woods.  In fact, 8 months after we bought our tractor, it became clear there was a problem with the bracket mounting bolts for the backhoe.  Turns out when the set up guy assembled the bracket on the tractor, he used the wrong thread bolts and stripped out the mounts on the transmission casing.  After a few discussions with owner, he replaced our tractor (200 + hours) with a new tractor and restarted the warranty.  No cost to us.  That's what a great dealership is worth.

Our tractor:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Damaged mounts:

With backhoe off and pulling the county's seeder:

Offline giaka

• Contributor
  • I am member # 12
  • Motorcycles: Versys 650 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:43:45 PM »

Our tractor:

Only because I have no freaking idea, how much does a tractor like that set you back?
I don't know how to act my age, I have never been this old before.........
MR MOJO RISIN unscrambled spells JIM MORRISON

-

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »

Our tractor:

Only because I have no freaking idea, how much does a tractor like that set you back?

The basic 4wd Workmaster 55 tractor with loader is around 22K.  The backhoe adds about 10K.   We also got a snowblade for the quick attach loader.  That tractor is 55HP with 48 HP at the PTO.  4 cylinder turbodiesel.

When we were looking, we talked about a cab.  A cabbed tractor is about 10K more than the base unit, but adds A/C, heat and stereo in addition to the cab.  We have many projects where a backhoe is useful, so it was Cab or backhoe decision.

In general, unless you have a lot of use for a backhoe, you're better off renting a mini-excavator.  They are much faster and will fit in much tighter locations.  They are handy for moving rocks and logs too, but then you have to add a thumb.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Wish I could see your pics... 

I will have a lot of use for a backhoe and the front loader.  The driveway is bench cut into the side of a very steep hill so shale will fall from the high side for all eternity.  I have quite a few trailers I'll need to create level spaces for.
In the short term, I'll need to make room to drag our new house up the driveway to be installed at the top.  This will require turning our 11 foot wide driveway into a 16 foot driveway including removing stumps and all that goes w/ moving stuff around.
I will eventually have another driveway on the other side of the property that will probably be just as long as the first and also require maintenance.  We'll eventually be doing a fair amount of growing so, given that it is all shale, I'll basically
have to make my own soil from loam and surface dirt and whatever other stuff I can find laying around.  That's not something you want to do w/ a shovel.  And of course, I'll need a way to deal with snow on such a dramatic slope.
Actual heavy equipment is unattainable and even the rental costs of getting everything I need completed would probably add up to a very healthy percentage of a new tractor.  We just happen to have what appears to be a large mahindra dealer nearby which is why I'm asking about that brand.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
The brand has no more failures than any other brand, as far as I can tell on TBN.  If you do a quick search of the dealer's name on there, you'll get a pretty decent feel about how good they are.

Where I live, the JD dealers are good, but are hugely expensive for small timers like me, because they have huge company contracts.  My Workmaster isn't really a compact; it's more of a utility tractor.  However, it will fit in my barn aisle, so it's reasonable for me.  Remember, no one has ever said, "That was too much tractor for what I wanted to do"

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I prefer a bobcat (or similar) to a tractor for most everything but actual farming. they are more maneuverable, quicker, and easier to operate. unfortunately they are expensive...
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:41:07 PM »
I prefer a bobcat (or similar) to a tractor for most everything but actual farming. they are more maneuverable, quicker, and easier to operate. unfortunately they are expensive...

Yup.

Vulcanbill:

Looking at your link, you'd get a LOT more tractor for your money with the 3016.  Bigger hydraulic pump means better performance from the loader and backhoe.  More PTO HP is much better option.

The 28XL is like a lawn tractor that can do a bit more work.  The 3016 is a real compact tractor.  JMO

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »

Yup.

Vulcanbill:

Looking at your link, you'd get a LOT more tractor for your money with the 3016.  Bigger hydraulic pump means better performance from the loader and backhoe.  More PTO HP is much better option.

The 28XL is like a lawn tractor that can do a bit more work.  The 3016 is a real compact tractor.  JMO

Funny you mention that.  This is what prompted today's bout of research...

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/grd/4305524230.html

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
They tell me that in 10 years, HST will be the only option for transmission.  That's a nice tractor with some nice extras. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
Can you explain the difference please? 

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
Can you explain the difference please?

HST (HydroStatic Tran) is a much more sophisticated transmission.  No clutch.  Speed and direction (foward/reverse) are all in one pedal.  These transmissions allow you to go very slow or stand still without changing engine speed or slipping a clutch.  They are excellent for close quarter work.  I'm told they are dead reliable, although I've never owned a tractor with it.

This is as opposed to a shuttle shift which requires a clutch to change direction or gears.  The nice thing on shuttle shift is you pick your gear and can change directions by just moving one lever up or down, so much less shifting effort.

The final transmission is the old style transmission like a car where you have to select your reverse gear.  With shuttle shift, any gear you have can be forward or reverse. 

The HST is generally a premium feature.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
oh...right.  neighbor's rvt1100 has that.  takes some getting used to but I could see the value on a tractor.  notsomuch on a UTV for my purposes tho.

Thanks.

So this thing w/ the bucket, hoe and snowblower would be just about perfect. 

http://mahindrausa.com/tractors/16-series/3016-4wd-hst

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »

neighbor has one and does things with it that I'm pretty sure the creators never intended for it to do.  but I can't count on borrowing neighbor's time and equipment and I can't afford a skidsteer. 

Offline Mr. Whippy

• 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
4WD with a snowblade, you won't need a full on snowblower, unless you're looking at more than 3 feet at a whack.  Even then, you would be amazed what you can do with only a bucket. We used a 23 HP 4wd Ford tractor with FEL only to clear the back to back blizzards a few years back.  56 inches of snow in 4 days, 30 inches on day one, 26 inches 4 days later.  (Snowmegedon in the mid-Atlantic).

Personally I would NOT plump for the snowblower if I had 4wd.

Offline vfrrider

• Whoopee's the name, safety's the game.
  • Motorcycles: 1993 Honda VFR750F
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
We have about 55 acres with trees, streams, lakes, pasture and woods. Got a small John Deere package with loader, mower, tiller, and post hole digger on a 4 wheel trailer, road ready. We can add a drive on mower deck if we like. Diesel powered. Small for really heavy tasks, but adequate for us. Pulls behind the Suburban just fine.

Package deal about $27K. They financed it, they service it, warranty.

Wifey loves it.

Larry
VFRrider

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »
4WD with a snowblade, you won't need a full on snowblower, unless you're looking at more than 3 feet at a whack.  Even then, you would be amazed what you can do with only a bucket. We used a 23 HP 4wd Ford tractor with FEL only to clear the back to back blizzards a few years back.  56 inches of snow in 4 days, 30 inches on day one, 26 inches 4 days later.  (Snowmegedon in the mid-Atlantic).

Personally I would NOT plump for the snowblower if I had 4wd.

Given your location, I don't think you'll ever get enough snow to *really* use a blower.  When the conditions are such, a blower cannot be beat (2'+ depth and drifts), but here even in Michigan I usually use the blade, not the blower.  Obviously this winter has been the exception (and many neighbors thank me for the tractor-mounted blower!), but usually a blade is plenty as long as you have a place to push the snow.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline Veefer800canuck

• Nicky Hayden stole my childhood.
  • Motorcycles: 1999 Honda GL800RR-SP2
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
We have had a little Kubota at work for plowing sidewalks, and it had been indestructible for 15 years.

I'm impressed, because people have been beating on it non-stop, and it just keeps going.

energizer bunny of tractors. Respect!
Rob McKinnon

My visited states map:

Offline bomber

• Rough, grooved surface
  • Motorcycles: some
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
+1 on the buy the dealer, not the tractor line of thought . . . . . no direct experience w/Mahindra, but a couple of friends have had great luck with them . . . .

if saturday hours at the dealer are important to you, make sure to NOT make your purchase on a weekday, taking it for granted that the parts guys wiull be there on Saturday . . . 

you don't even have to ask, do you?
We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.