Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Skis and bindings  (Read 145 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Skis and bindings
« on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:53 PM »
Anybody know what's going on here?  Kim buys stuff at a local auction and sells it on ebay and FB as a side hustle. Got a couple pairs of skis. These bindings look unlike the others.  We know nothing. They seem vintage. Any knowledge?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
Re: Skis and bindings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »
Appears to be from this lineage...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Nevada

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 06:08:40 PM »
I remember seeing bindings like that in the 1960s.  Could be adjusted to fit any size boot.  Those look to be in too good condition to be that old.  Maybe a real find?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline jimmy

• Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 06:22:44 PM »

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »
I remember those. I had a pair of Head skis with look bindings in the '70s.
Those were top of the line for the period.
Ride safe!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:48:53 AM »
I remember seeing bindings like that in the 1960s.  Could be adjusted to fit any size boot.  Those look to be in too good condition to be that old.  Maybe a real find?

That's the hope and while there's still some snow out there.  The strategery is to buy a bunch of maybe stuff for next to nothing and find a couple gems in the mix that people didn't know they had or that someone's grandparents had and nobody knew the value of.  It's like a digital version of American Pickers.  Oh, you don't care about this stuff so you're selling a whole box of junk for a dollar.  Inside said box are several really interesting and valuable items that nobody researched.  Kim's doing the research and finding some good stuff.  The job is to marry said stuff with the people who know its value.  We shall see.  :)  Let's hope we find an old skiier who wants to relive his youth and use his lawyer money to do it. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline bowtie76

• Motorcycles: 06 Sprint ST, 06 CRF450R plated, 03 R6 track bike
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 11:13:00 AM »
Just be careful,

Manufactures indemnify bindings after a few years, once that is done the binding are no longer considered safe to be used for skiing.  This leads to shops and manufactures not touching them after that due to liability issues.

If you choose to sell these, I would recommend clearly stating they are "antique and not for use" in your add to CYA.

Just a heads up.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 11:17:03 AM »
Well, since most of these sales are parking lot drug deal style, I doubt there's much of an assumption of liability.  However, noted.  Thanks.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »
Had an aunt & uncle who would ski with antique gear (one set was leather laced) for sh!ts & giggles once a year.  It was mostly show and smile.  Those things don’t perform or release well.  Still can be fun.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 06:26:48 PM »

That's the hope and while there's still some snow out there.  The strategery is to buy a bunch of maybe stuff for next to nothing and find a couple gems in the mix that people didn't know they had or that someone's grandparents had and nobody knew the value of.  It's like a digital version of American Pickers.  Oh, you don't care about this stuff so you're selling a whole box of junk for a dollar.  Inside said box are several really interesting and valuable items that nobody researched.  Kim's doing the research and finding some good stuff.  The job is to marry said stuff with the people who know its value.  We shall see.  :)  Let's hope we find an old skiier who wants to relive his youth and use his lawyer money to do it.

Modern ski bindings have integrated safety brakes to prevent runaway skis. I haven't seen anyone ski with safety straps since the early '80s. They do have anti-friction plates so probably late '70s.

Modern ones would look like that:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ride safe!

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 10:50:53 PM »

Modern ski bindings have integrated safety brakes to prevent runaway skis. I haven't seen anyone ski with safety straps since the early '80s. They do have anti-friction plates so probably late '70s.

Modern ones would look like that:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yeah, I used safety straps on my telemark setup when I last did lift-served skiing.  1987.  Even then, I was surprised they let me go.

I still have the skis, which are really my backcountry skis.  Wooden (!!!!), steel-edged, Can-Sports.  Got out a few times this year already.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.