Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What would you have done if you knew / thought the pandemic would be this long?  (Read 501 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
What would you have done different if you knew the pandemic would last this long?

I would have gotten a couple of washable masks that have pockets for filters.   And adjustable straps. Or I'd tailor the straps to my liking.
I'd start with vacuum hepa filters, but I'd look into hepa filters for furnaces.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
I really can't think of anything I'd have done differently. 
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
I can't think of anything I would have done differently. Maybe ordered in a better keyboard, mouse and office chair earlier. Otherwise, I can't see how it could have been made any better.
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
I would have invested in a few stocks...
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
Really nothing, what in truth could be changed to make any sort of difference? :shrug:
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
I probably would have stopped trying to put a new band together and buying some (not a lot) of new PA equipment that hasn't left my basement. Have band, full set list, and a PA/lights. Still no where to play. Makes it hard to keep motivation up for learning new material and keeping the old stuff semi-ready. Sucks.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
I would have invested in a few stocks...

:thumbsup:

I missed some opportunities.  Buy pharma, drop hospitality, that's easy.  But I thought that people would be holding back on discretionary spending based on uncertainty, yet we saw surprising discretionary spending. Missed that.  Still, we're better off than we were a year ago with a steady goes the course approach. 
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
Not really. I worked through the whole year, we were staying at our daughters place while our house was being built so things were up in the air until June. Plus I blew my back out so I couldn't do much anyway. They live on 5 acres so I basically went to work and sat on the porch. Me and the grandkids shot BB guns and .22 at tin cans and what-not and I watched them racing around on their dirt bikes. My wife got to retire and we moved into our new house. Other than wearing a stupid mask to go anywhere it was a pretty good year for us.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Not much.  You knew this was going to be bad once the first cases were reported outside China.   I expected this pandemic to last a year or longer.  I bought several different kn65 masks and a supply of replaceable filters before they became unavailable. Still using the ones we liked.  Didn’t hoard.  Gave the ones we didn’t like to friends for free - it was better then what they could buy at that time.  Stocked up on canned and dry goods on a new set of shelves I bought.  Moved enough money into cash in preparation for an extended downturn (that didn’t happen either).  Started cancelling reservations before the travel restrictions started in March, so we haven’t lost any money on the vacations we didn’t take last year.  No big consolation there.  (Still have plans to meet friends in Ireland in SEP and we could lose our plane fare.  Don’t know what will happen there.  Sucks being stuck at home.).  All in all, it’s worked out well, all things considered. 

If there is one thing I regret - besides not buying stocks in April - it was not doing any pleasure riding during the lockdown period.  The only riding I did  - being a responsible person - was back and forth to the office.  The roads were empty.  It was awesome.  And I missed that opportunity. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
I'd have retired in 2019, when I was due to, before Covid even existed in humans, so I could have got a year's playing in before it hit.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Papa- thank you for doing what you are doing.

I would have been more proactive in church, planned things out better (I'm in a leadership role there).

Other than that, like others I would have invested in Pfizer and Moderna.   :bigok:
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
We likely wouldn't have planned for the big Cancun trip in June of last year (and VERY likely wouldn't have pre-paid for it). Also would have stocked up on 9mm, .45 and 7.62x39 way earlier. Hell, if I had been smarter, I could easily have doubled my money on extra ammo purchases this year. Would have totally been worth the cash outlay.
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
I’d have had my passport renewed and gotten the hell out before lockdown occurred.  I can easily deal with masks and social distancing.  There’s just too many who won’t in this nation to suit me.
--Tom

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '03 SV1K, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
Also would have stocked up on 9mm, .45 and 7.62x39 way earlier. Hell, if I had been smarter, I could easily have doubled my money on extra ammo purchases this year. Would have totally been worth the cash outlay.
LT

^That.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
I should have bought a bigger freezer.
Past that, I’m one of the lucky puppies.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
I would have set this up a lot sooner. I’ve only had it 4 days and don’t know how I survived so long without a proper desk.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Who didn't have that figured out within the first month?

Online Eh2zed

• ATW V2.0
  • Motorcycles: 2008 Honda CBF1000A and 2004 BMW R1100S
My wife retired at the end of January. If she hadn’t done that she could have worked from home and had a full salary like the rest of her office. Instead she’s doing puzzles. Crap.
My GPS just told me to turn left, then turn left, then turn left, then turn left.
So if I go too far left do I end up right?

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
I should have bought a bigger freezer.
Past that, I’m one of the lucky puppies.

pleased you have so many puppies on ice.

send me one.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
Also would have stocked up on 9mm, .45 and 7.62x39 way earlier. Hell, if I had been smarter, I could easily have doubled my money on extra ammo purchases this year. Would have totally been worth the cash outlay.
LT

^That.

A weekend trip to the small local gun show was just as enlightening as expected. #1, I'm not taking off my mask in this area for ANYTHING. Stupid people. #2 Stupid people+fear. #3 Glad I stocked up when I did, no matter how limited. Firearms were running high due to election premiums. I expect that. What I didn't expect was free Girl Scout Cookies with purchase:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yes. There are people rushing around trying to sell 9mm at a buck a bang. This was standard from what I saw across every caliber, with the exception of a bag of handload .32ACP I found for only .50/rd   :nuts: and bags of steel jacketed surplus 7.62x39 at .30/rd. Which isn't a terrible price now, but why bagged instead of boxed? My WTF-O-Metertm was pinging.  :tinfoil:

Plus side, the Mrs. no longer thinks I was high when I panic bought early on. So there.

:threadjacked:
Great googly-moogly!