Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: winter wonderland?  (Read 640 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
winter wonderland?
« on: December 13, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
What's the prediction for Wed's potential vortex of doom?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Re: winter wonderland?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
The prognosticators of doom are already calling for 6 to 12 inches of anemic poo up here.  By tomorrow they will probably be calling for 12 to 16.  Weather will be what it is. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
The prognosticators of doom are already calling for 6 to 12 inches of anemic poo up here.  By tomorrow they will probably be calling for 12 to 16.  Weather will be what it is. 

I guess it's staying on your side of the state then. Less than 4" forecast here.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
I just can’t stand the hype that accompanies every storm.  Looks like we got less than 3 or 4 inches. 

Our local forecasters go to great length to be entertaining.  One guy did pushups this morning in wrist deep snow for every inch we didn’t get.  Another one weighed a shovel full of snow to show us how heavy it was. 

One made a snow shake.  Take a big scoop of snow, mix it with a cup of milk, cup of sugar, tablespoon of vanilla and a bag of M&Ms, and shake it up in a Tupperware container.   Yuck!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
I take the over worried forecasters with a proverbial grain of salt (hopefully the snow shake didn't include any road salt   :hurl:).  But they're in a bad position because if they err by underreporting, people might get in trouble.  So I just assume they go for a reasonable worst case prediction and if it turns out better, then nobody's really been harmed in any direct, physical way.

But there was a local forecaster in Bismarck who went into a tizzy seemingly at every raindrop.  Most people mocked him.  A competing channel started using the slogan "we inform you, not scare you."  The overenthusiastic weatherman was soon let go.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 09:33:35 AM »
so Tuesday we were to get a "skiff" of snow. Apparently a skiff is 3-4"??
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Offline MrsCablebandit

• Purveyor of Cookies.org
    • Pineapple Ponderings
  • Motorcycles: '10 C14 Passenger
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »
We measured just under 14", but we just stuck a tape measure into the snow on the bar on the deck and there's definitely been some compaction. The retired weatherman in the neighborhood did the proper measure, swipe, measure six hours later, add, swipe, measure...lather, rinse, repeat...and came up with 15.5".

CB is outside with our new-to-us-because-my-parents-moved-into-a-condo snowblower getting it done. I just checked on him and took him refreshments.
I used to make a bigger impression.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Ride reports and other musings.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
We measured just under 14", but we just stuck a tape measure into the snow on the bar on the deck and there's definitely been some compaction. The retired weatherman in the neighborhood did the proper measure, swipe, measure six hours later, add, swipe, measure...lather, rinse, repeat...and came up with 15.5".

CB is outside with our new-to-us-because-my-parents-moved-into-a-condo snowblower getting it done. I just checked on him and took him refreshments.

drinking and snowblowing is a dangerous combination..... ;D
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
We prolly had about a foot before the freezing rain / sleet compacted it down.  Still no plow so Kim just made it work.  Hemi's priorities are fairly clear.  That's 2 hours after Kim went in the house. 

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 12:52:55 PM »
Seems that the Pittsburgh area got about 10". Just finished digging out the driveway.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online ixxion

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Mucho CBR1100XX
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
Our forecast was for 10-16 inches, so we planned accordingly, not for the 34 inches of snow that i measured this morning.

Might have been able to get out if the neighbor didn't feel he had to get out to go to work, and tried the plow the street with his pickup, creating 36 inch high ice barriers, and thick crusted ice blocks in peoples driveways.  I never did much plowing, but I wouldn't try it in deep snow with summer tires, 4wd or not.

What's this important job he has to get to?  Plowing. So we spent most of the day so far trying to shovel the street where he packed it up so the girl can get out to her job as an ER nurse.  Errrr....

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 01:37:52 PM »
Yeah but for the next 36 hours, he'll probably make as much money as she does in 3.6 months.  Pretty motivating.

Online Black Hills

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
Yeah but for the next 36 hours, he'll probably make as much money as she does in 3.6 months.  Pretty motivating.

haha not in these times, contract nursing is where its at. $120/hr. is not unheard of and $8k/wk is fairly easy to find.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 05:15:50 PM »
Guess this one is coming together a little bigger than they thought. Lots of scrambling to get totals up last minute.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
Weather hype is in full swing.  Three days ago the forecast was 1-3 inches, then 3-6, yesterday it was 5-10, today the forecast is for 6-12 inches.  Wonder how much we’ll really get?

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
Yep 4" to 6" forecast here. 

Oh wait now down to 3"-4" mixed with rain not sure how that will work out.  Looks like the temp is on the way up in the forecast.  Forecasts seem to change now more then years ago.  Guess they forecast earlier.
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 08:28:22 AM »
Today’s forecast is for 10-16 inches.

Online sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the good news Skee. I will have a free day off!  No customer visits!  Too bad I don't have a little bike to mess aroumd in the nearby field 

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »

The storm is under-performing here in southwestern PA. Less than inch so far. Now it's a wintry mix. I expect to find a few inches on the ground in the morning.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online sodapop6620

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
The weather guess popped up on tv to say 4 to 12 inches. Possibly winter mix which will decrease the numbers.

Online sodapop6620

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 04:02:36 PM »
It seems like the nbc weather guess is on every 15 to 20 minutes to tell us the same thing every time.

Enough already. Why don't they break into the commercials instead of racing?

Online Skee

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2021, 10:12:39 PM »
Local forecast is now 12-18.  Turning into a real blizzard.