Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WV National Park...yes, really.  (Read 390 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
WV National Park...yes, really.
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »
Sweet. Need a magnet.

https://www.ecowatch.com/veganuary-2020-2649792539.html

That place tried to kill me 25 years ago tho so I'm a little torn.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
Re: WV National Park...yes, really.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:27:45 PM »
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
Sweet. Need a magnet.

Rafting? 
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
I've paddled the New River (and the Gauley) many times in a kayak.  It is a beautiful area except for the derelict cars and trash dumped into the rivers.   Hopefully there will be more attention paid to such things if it is a National Park.   

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
Sweet. Need a magnet.

Rafting?

Yeah.  When I transferred from community college to GW, the school sponsored a trip to some outdoor adventure place.  Did a whitewater trip on the Gauly.  The local guides saw a bunch of big money college pukes coming out of the city and they basically had their way with us.  I was front right in a 14' self bailer.  Dude put us in the water just for fun.  I know this cuz ours were the only boats going over.  We could see other outfitters doing the same rapids with kids in the boats just fine. 

Once the boat went left side high and I went in.  On the way back up, by 6'5" 250# buddy that was to my left landed on top of me as he  came into the water.  I was just getting ready to inhale a big ole breath of fresh air and I got a couple hundred lbs of Bob on my head.  Ugh.  That sucked.  Back down I went thinking it was the end. 

2nd time I came up under the front of the boat.  I, of course, did not know I was mere inches from the edge of the boat but my training kicked in and I started doing the hand over hand thing on the webbing on the bottom of the boat...in the wrong direction.  It was about 30 minutes before I got to the end of the boat and came up.  I was already contemplating how my family would make jokes about how college is a real killer. 

Anyone who has ever done an aggressive whitewater trip knows that in the big water, you're working.  So my time under water might not have been long, but since I was breathing fast and heavy from exertion, it didn't take long to need that air.  Unpleasant feeling.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online R Doug

• Contributor
  • Where there is Danger, there is Doug
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 06:34:40 AM »
Bill, I feel ya.  I went whitewater rafting once on the Cheat River on a day it was flooded.  I had a ball until near the end when our boat capsized and I wan pinned under a rock... like for a while.  I did manage to push my way up and out.  Unfortunately, nearly faint from lack of oxygen, I was caught up in the hydraulic created by that rock on the downriver side. 

I was resuscitated on the shore after two guys pulled me from the water. 

That was Mother's Day weekend 1994.

My biggest regret is not getting the names and contact information of the two people who saved my life.
Only motorcycle riders know why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »
😮🤪. You win.

Online nickybcareful

• Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada, Black
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:41:30 AM »
Before I started riding with you guys back in the early 2000s, I would take solo trips to raft.  I started on the New River and over the years worked my way up to the Gauley.  I went the weekend after Labor Day during Gauley season when they released water from the Summersville Dam.  On my way back home, I would spend a night in Marietta – the weekend of the Sternwheel festival (what a hoot!).

I went with Ace Adventures and when doing the Gauley would always get the same guide.  I liked him, but he was a mean SOB yelling at you profusely if you didn’t do exactly what he would tell you to do.  Our trips down the Gauley were special.  The adrenaline rush of the rapid followed by still waters and stories about the river.

My last and final visit to the area I didn’t get my regular guide, but some lunatic who supposedly traveled the world doing the great rapids (The upper Gauley is 7th in the world).  Short story, I got dumped in a class 4.  THAT WAS NOT FUN!  Aside from the bruises, I was okay.  Lesson learned, I just didn’t realize how dangerous this sport was until coming face-to-face with it.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:23:27 PM »

The adrenaline rush of the rapid followed by still waters and stories about the river.

Similar to a STO meet. "The adrenaline rush of the twisties followed by beers and stories about the road."   :bigok: