Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: beater car  (Read 1200 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
beater car
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
2005 y/o mini cooper S - manual trans sub 100k miles.  Anything to look out for unique to that car?

I want a 2011 ish outback sport wagon.  Basically a WRX hatch by another name. 

Anybody got something you wanna sell?  :)
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
Re: beater car
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
We have had: 2003 WRX, 2008 STi (stage 2), and a 2013 Impreza Limited Sport ("Wagon"). "Sport" has no bearing on anything other than it's name. CVT POS makes even a relatively-spunky car where it can't get out of its own weight. And the Outback would be heavier. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
We have had: 2003 WRX, 2008 STi (stage 2), and a 2013 Impreza Limited Sport ("Wagon"). "Sport" has no bearing on anything other than it's name. CVT POS makes even a relatively-spunky car where it can't get out of its own weight. And the Outback would be heavier.

Yeah...  CVT is now in the nevermore category.  Looking for a stick.  Many sub 100k cars show new clutch in the list of fixes.  What's that about?
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Offline Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:50:52 AM »

Yeah...  CVT is now in the nevermore category.  Looking for a stick.  Many sub 100k cars show new clutch in the list of fixes.  What's that about?

On the STi at least, the flywheel is light weight so the motor spins up really quickly and makes it easy to slip the clutch too much from just a standard start.  Lots of burned clutches from that (not for me). Earlier models (like the Bugeye 03 WRX) are reported to have "transmissions like glass". I never had an issue because my goals have always been "smooth is fast". My brother OTOH is a sledge-hammer-shifting demon. He messed up several clutches/transmissions on a 68 Chevelle (blue w/black stripes) because of how rough he is.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
I think I ended up putting two clutches in my Impreza 2.5 RS over the 150K miles I had it due to clutch shudder. I don't think I'm hard on clutches and never had to replace one in any of my other manual transmission cars, even ones with high miles.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »
If that’s the Mini supercharged engine, they get sold just before 100k miles because that service is outrageously expensive.  Supercharger needs to come out for servicing.  Last estimate I heard was in the $2000 range.
--Tom

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
If that’s the Mini supercharged engine, they get sold just before 100k miles because that service is outrageously expensive.  Supercharger needs to come out for servicing.  Last estimate I heard was in the $2000 range.

My 19 year old has a 2003 Cooper S as his first car.  Yes, I know.

While I still lived in Old melvilleville we were bonding over tools.

It took him a few months after I moved to get to the point where he felt comfortable driving it the 200 miles to New melvilleville.  Where we get to bond over tools, some more!

He's learning a lot about leaks.  He's got the intake and boost leaks dealt with.  Now it's all about the oil leaks.

It is a buncha fun to drive, though!  Quicker on a tight road than my Z3M, if a bit harder to balance due to the FWD.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »

Yeah...  CVT is now in the nevermore category.  Looking for a stick.

Honda Civic SI

[/thread]
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »

Yeah...  CVT is now in the nevermore category.  Looking for a stick.

Honda Civic SI

[/thread]

finding one that hasn't been frankenstein'd by some wannabe is tough.  add low miles and you have a unicorn with hen's teeth

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
I think I ended up putting two clutches in my Impreza 2.5 RS over the 150K miles I had it due to clutch shudder. I don't think I'm hard on clutches and never had to replace one in any of my other manual transmission cars, even ones with high miles.

My 2002 Nissan Frontier is still on its original clutch at 215,000 miles.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 02:32:16 PM »
The worst car I've ever owned was a Mazda 6 from the generation before that one.

If you take it for a test drive, make sure you hit some decent bumps to check the suspension and try to make a U turn.

The fuel mileage was unbelievably bad (16mpg average), the car had the turning radius of a Greyhound bus and after two years the rear suspension on ours was shot.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 04:49:57 PM »
The worst car I've ever owned was a Mazda 6 from the generation before that one.

If you take it for a test drive, make sure you hit some decent bumps to check the suspension and try to make a U turn.

The fuel mileage was unbelievably bad (16mpg average), the car had the turning radius of a Greyhound bus and after two years the rear suspension on ours was shot.

Noted. This is why this thread exists. Tks.

Offline bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
Weird, I had 2006 Mazda 6 GT/GS loaded. I put about 75K on it, and I bought it used. No problems. I sold it for a lovingly kept Speed6.  No problems with that one either except my license would vibrate and I'd feel it getting hot.
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:20 AM »
I can't help you with your search, but the best beater I ever had was an old mid 80's jetta. finally gave it up when it needed brakes (like the entire brake system)  at 475,000 miles that thing just wouldn't die.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
I can't help you with your search, but the best beater I ever had was an old mid 80's jetta. finally gave it up when it needed brakes (like the entire brake system)  at 475,000 miles that thing just wouldn't die.

TDI?

Online Black Hills

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »

TDI?

no, it was gas with a manual trans.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »

My dad had a late 70's Dasher like that. Those earlier water cooled VW's would simply not die. His 2nd ex had it last I heard, in Traverse City Michigan. It had well over 200k when she took off with it and she wasn't the type to do something as plebeian as actually buy a car so she probably still drives it. The SOB is probably still chugging along now with God knows how many miles on it. 
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
Well, we're gonna go check this out in the morning.  Rear drum brakes and 116 HP.  Oooof. 

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/chantilly-2012-volkswagen-jetta-w/7246134650.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online stevent

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »
My retirement plans are to distill moonshine and rebuild air cooled VW'S and old Japanese cars and bikes. That should keep me busy and out of trouble.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Black Hills

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 06:26:13 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, but I would suggest a marijuana grow operation as well.  All the good VW mechanics were stoned. 

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 09:05:26 AM »
Well, we're gonna go check this out in the morning.  Rear drum brakes and 116 HP.  Oooof. 

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/chantilly-2012-volkswagen-jetta-w/7246134650.html

Either you bought it or you’re too late.  Posting deleted.
--Tom

Online stevent

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, but I would suggest a marijuana grow operation as well.  All the good VW mechanics were stoned.

I'm over that. I smoked my weight in weed a few times over, 30 years ago, but I just can't do it any more. Hard to get anything done when you're sitting on your work bench drooling.. :drool:

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 06:30:50 PM »

Gentleman's agreement. Gave him 100 bucks, he deleted the posting. Pick up tomorrow night.  Then meeting another guy and buying a set of TDI wheels because vanity.  Beaters don't need to look the part, just play the part.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 04:59:14 AM »

Gentleman's agreement. Gave him 100 bucks, he deleted the posting. Pick up tomorrow night.  Then meeting another guy and buying a set of TDI wheels because vanity.  Beaters don't need to look the part, just play the part.

:bigok: :needpics:

--Tom

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »

There's 2 up yonder.  That's the actual car and the actual condition.  Given the foot and a half of snow we're likely to get tomorrow, pics might be a while.  :)  Guess I could link to the pics he took from the CL ad that I saved.  Lazy. 

Offline Max Wedge

• Contributor
  • Engineering Pathologist
  • Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS (deceased)
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
I think it is the user and use. My Jeep wrangler had 150,000 on it, was used for snowplowing, when I replaced the clutch. It still had life in it, but I replaced it because I figured it was due.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists' office.
Where am I?

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
I think it is the user and use. My Jeep wrangler had 150,000 on it, was used for snowplowing, when I replaced the clutch. It still had life in it, but I replaced it because I figured it was due.

I replaced the truck clutch back in the day cuz I diagnosed it as a clutch going bad.  When we took it apart, it was at 50%.  Later found out that a hole in a 5cent piece of hose was causing what I thought was a clutch going bad.  I'm a freaking idiot.  But, luckily, there are fees associated with that level of stupidity and I have, in some cases, learned from said fees being charged over and over again.  Stupid fees I call them. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 12:35:14 PM »

Should look like this when we get the wheels and tires on...  minus the fogs

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »
2005 y/o mini cooper S - manual trans sub 100k miles.  Anything to look out for unique to that car?

I want a 2011 ish outback sport wagon.  Basically a WRX hatch by another name. 

Anybody got something you wanna sell?  :)

Yes. When we purchased out 2011 Mini, we specifically got the Non-S version because the Turbos began to need rebuild just past 60k. Per statistical info. Personal info was every one of 3 S models we looked at had drooling turbo gaskets. As a heavy equipment operator in my youth, I felt that the Mini's were tuned like heavy machinery. Tuned for boost starting at about 2000 rpms, just barely off idle and lower than driving rpm. So the blowers are spinning for the life of the motor at much higher rpm, leading to power and breakdowns.

My luddite $.02 of course. But I will say that our non-forced induction car just turned over 80085 (Boobs!) miles without anything more significant than brakes and a leaky coolant hose. And it's a bundle of fun to drive fast, just have to be cognizant of gear choice. And on the non-turbo cars, the entire motor is built expecting the that extra power, and the turbo is just... missing. Covered with a block-off plate, and no associated plumbing. I feel that it very well may make it even tougher as an understressed component. Again, gut feeling.

LT

edit: Ooops... cardinal mistake, answering thread without completely reading thread. Fait acompli!

Edit 2: 1999 manual F150 got a new clutch a few years ago only because of proximity. Slave cylinder going out meant pulling the whole drivetrain apart. Since it was 4 inches away, I replaced the whole clutch set with a bunch of life left in it. It's all part of not squidding your manual!
Great googly-moogly!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
AAAaaaaaand....we're out. 

Dude flaked on me twice.  Looked at the car on Sunday.  Agreed to go pick it up on Monday.  He sent a text late in the day saying he couldn't make Monday and needed to push to Tue.  Kim got up early, took me to work, came and picked me up and right before I left  work, I asked him for an address.  He flaked again saying he went to get the title and it was the wrong one.  He guaranteed me he had it and asked what he could do to make this right.  I said give us the car, we keep the money, you bring me the title when you get it.  He asked for half the money.  At this point we were driving in his direction (cuz we still had to meet the other dude to buy the wheels.)  When we got to his house (we'd kept him aprised of our progress the whole way), he said he was still 40 minutes out.  He said if you want, I'll just have my wife bring you out your $100 dollars.  We agreed to that.  We then said if you still want to sell the car, you bring it to us with a clear title and we'll have the money but we're assuming zero risk at this point.  He agreed to do that Thu.  Then as we were driving to Cabela's to meet the guy to buy the wheels which I now have no need for...  we basically talked ourselves out of this deal completely.  We found someone to fix the Crosstrek for 1700 bucks.  Total investment in the Jetta would have been like 4200 bucks w/ tax, tag, title, insurance, tires, brakes etc.  Throw in the double flake out and the uncertainty of the title and we're just going to walk away and call it a teaching moment.  Seemed like a really nice guy and it could have just been the perfect storm for him but I can't ignore the what ifs as they pop up.  Wasn't excited about the car anyway, just tolerant of moving on to a dry, boring, gutless sedan.  I already have a dry, boring, gutless hatchback but at least I know it's history and title status. 

Anyone need some nice 16" TDI wheels?   :-\

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2020, 07:53:58 PM »
Soooo  this was a craigslist deal deal, Yes?

And you were expecting ......
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 06:10:31 AM »
Soooo  this was a craigslist deal deal, Yes?

And you were expecting ......

This is my first bad CL experience.  I was never expecting.  I was hoping. 

I got my C note back.  Coulda been worse. 

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
beater car
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 06:54:41 AM »

These are for a VW Jetta?
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2020, 12:34:38 PM »

Yep.  Came stock on a TDI but I think they'll fit all Jettas. 

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
img test:

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
I always liked those “mags”.
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online Stripes

• I'm On A Boat!
  • Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
beater car
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 09:23:16 PM »

Hmmm...  let me double check the size on my car and I'll get back to you soon. Those would look cool, better than my stock steel rims w/ hubcaps! Thanks.
Hard work, pays off in the future. Laziness, pays off now.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »

Hmmm...  let me double check the size on my car and I'll get back to you soon. Those would look cool, better than my stock steel rims w/ hubcaps! Thanks.

Where are you?  Shipping would be prohibitively expensive.

Offline ChrisFZ1

• This space for sale.
  • Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »
My 2007 Toyota Corolla with 276k miles just died.  I replaced it with a 2009 Honda Fit with 106k miles. Both are sticks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:18:35 AM by ChrisFZ1 »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
My 2007 Toyota Corolla with 276k miles just died.  I replaced it with a 2009 Honda Fit with 106k miles. Both are sticks.

I've liked driving a stick, but my wife doesn't and we agree that each of us should be able to drive both cars.  They have paddle shifters, but that just feels wrong to me.  I'd probably not like a quickshifter either.  It's probably why I like motorcycles so much.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
The paddles on a Fit are not really shifters, more like engine rpm control. With the CVT one can put the engine in a higher RPM range for faster acceleration witht the paddles.

I am considering a FIT for the wife, her 05 Scion XB is getting a bit long in the tooth so to say. The Fit seems to cover all the bases, an the CVT works for her (never learned to row the trans down the road, and has no intention to learn). We test drove one at the local dealer a few weeks back, nice little car good fit and finish (Honda). I got a line on a EX-L, but not in a rush so might wait a bit. 
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • De omnibus dubitandum
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 08:25:37 PM »
Just sold the wheels.  Made 105 bucks on that deal so it takes some of the pain away.  The crosstrek has paddles.  Cracks me up.