Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: R60 /5  (Read 457 times)

Offline radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
R60 /5
« on: May 04, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
Got a tip from a friend.. who knows a guy, who knows another guy that has supposedly in-decent shape early 70's R60 /5 for a reasonable price (maybe too reasonable)

I do have the owner's contact info...but before wander down that rabbit hole...what are best questions to ask in terms most common trouble areas etc.

Or should I just enjoy the air in my head as opposed to owning an Airhead?   :headscratch:

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
Re: R60 /5
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »
Get on the airheads group and ask... it is a bit like getting into a marriage with a slightly dysfunctional and temperamental German woman... the Teutonic Titwillow perchance. You'll need to really love the PROCESS of the ride and the maintenance rather than thinking of it as an always-runs daily rider.

I say go for it. Then once you learn all the tricks, teach me.
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
Re: R60 /5
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
I owned a high mileage 1979 R100RT for awhile, one of the bikes I wish I still had in fact. I don't remember it being overly finicky, not any more than any other bike of that era. Bings can have sticky floats on occasion and the infamous diode board failure can happen. The diode board can be replaced with an electronic ignition set-up I believe, and the float height is easy enough to set.

The bike was an absolute mechanical rush / kick in the ass to ride though, I plan on getting another airhead as soon as possible.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"