Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jacket liner wanted  (Read 186 times)

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650(R) ... Indian Scout (RIP)
Jacket liner wanted
« on: November 12, 2020, 10:00:48 PM »
I bought a new riding jacket.
I got it at Cycle Gear - because I wanted to try them on.  I've bought things from them before, but did the 'pick up at store'. 
I got a Sedici Matteo Waterproof (Italian brand, I'd never heard of it before).
blk w/ some HiVis yellow (w/ a bit of green)
lots of pockets inside and out - and a big one across the lower back with zippers on both sides
multiple vents w/ zippers
rain and thermal liner
CE2 armor

BUT...  I found out that the thermal lining can NOT be worn w/o the rain liner - it doesn't have it's own zipper in front, it's not even big enough to 'meet' at the front.  W.T.actual.Hell?!?

SO...  I'm shopping for warm liner.   Any recommendations appreciated.  It doesn't have to be an actual riding jacket liner, just something I can wear as one.

Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online coho

• Contributor
  • Probably not wearing pants.
  • Motorcycles: R1100RT (Gentleman's Express) - StFU200 (The Dumbbike) - Guzzi V7II (Tiny Musclecar)
Re: Jacket liner wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 10:39:44 PM »
I use a light (150? 200?) Fleece zip up for the thing you're seeking. I got it at REI 15? years ago.
Bonus: the front is kinda windblock-y, so a cold pass with warmth on the other side doesn't always require closing the vents.

If it weren't for the therapeutic properties of the occasional off-camber decreasing radius downhill right-hander I'd almost certainly go completely sane.

"I like the beverages."  -CLAY

Online Patmo

• Motorcycles: 2019 Versys 650LT
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:09:53 AM »
Try a sporting goods store and look for outdoor cold weather running gear.  Most of it is lightweight, not bulky, and does a really good job of cutting the wind and retaining body heat.  One other piece of advice...if you can, always buy the best gear you can afford, and think long term if you can.  Something that costs a few dollars more, but works twice as good and lasts twice as long as the cheaper stuff, is really the bargain.

I’ve found www.motorcyclecloseouts.com to be a good site to check for new gear that has been replaced with newer models.  Some amazing deals there.

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
+1 for the sporting goods stores. I wear a fleece jacket. That is when not wearing my heated liner.
Ride safe!

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:36:05 AM »
Try a sporting goods store and look for outdoor cold weather running gear.  Most of it is lightweight, not bulky, and does a really good job of cutting the wind and retaining body heat. 
One other piece of advice...if you can, always buy the best gear you can afford, and think long term if you can.  Something that costs a few dollars more, but works twice as good and lasts twice as long as the cheaper stuff, is really the bargain.

I’ve found www.motorcyclecloseouts.com to be a good site to check for new gear that has been replaced with newer models.  Some amazing deals there.

Thanks for that idea.
Re. the advice.  I agree.    My last jacket is a TourMaster, with all kinds of features.  It's kinda big on me (I've lost some weight).  What prompted the new jacket is a pic my g/f took of me wearing it - I look FAT!  The pic made me realize that it's so big on me that the armor may not stay in place.  Not good.
But that thought led me to check the liner for it - it's not insulated... but the liner for my mesh jacket is (and also waterproof)!  I will (try) use that before I buy anything.

Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
+1 for the sporting goods stores. I wear a fleece jacket. That is when not wearing my heated liner.
Is fleece wind resistant?  Or is that what 'polar' fleece is?

Online Mossyrocks

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 05 Wee-Strom - Deceased, 07 Yamaha Fun Joy Ride
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:13 PM »
I have one of these and it's great for those crisp mornings.  Warning sizing does run snug.

ANSAI Men's Mobile Warming Softshell Jacket

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »

No, fleece (including the somewhat thicker Polar Fleece) is not inherently wind resistant, but soem fleece jackets are made with panels of wind resistant materials on the front.  They will be labeled as wind resistant.

An example:
https://www.rei.com/product/816987/rei-co-op-windbrake-thermal-fleece-jacket-mens
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »

No it's not wind resistant but I add layers if more are needed. I wear goretex (or similar) unlined suits and add layers underneath. Goretex takes care of the wind and rain.
For really cold days, I use a Touratech heated liner. It is insulated and mostly wind proof.
Ride safe!