Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Office Chairs  (Read 196 times)

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
Office Chairs
« on: October 12, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
Since I now work 100% from home (even after COVID is over), I pretty much spend 10 hours a day in my old home office chair. Which kinda sucks.

Looking for advice on a good, long-lasting, all-day comfortable office chair. Under $500 if possible. Pivoting arms would be nice so that I can choose to have them down or not. I'm tall and like a chair to sit high, so I usually end up with every chair I use at max height.

My wife got me a gaming chair a few years ago but the padding is getting sacked out on it already. And it only gets used at my recording studio desk, not my home office desk. Still a few hours a day and more on the weekends.

Herman Miller stuff gets good reviews but is kinda pricey. Worth it?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:55:41 PM by garry »
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
Re: Office Chairs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 02:31:52 PM »
The Herman Miller stuff is out of my price range.

I've been using this one for about a year and really like it. The arms don't pivot. Since I have it in the room where I also practice guitar, I left the arms off.

https://www.staples.com/staples-dexley-mesh-task-chair-black-56946/product_24398921

They have a similar one under their own brand name that has height adjustable arms, but I don't know if they go down all the way.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Red/product_2257054?akamai-feo=off
A man with no sig

Online leeo45

• Motorcycles: ALTA EXR, VFR800, R12GS Adv, 640Adv, 525EXC, 400XCW, etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
I had a Herman Miller Aeron chair or something very similar from HM at the office before I retired.   I was able to order one in the large size, adjustable arms, etc.  I am 6-3 with long legs and it was *almost* tall enough; recognizing that I like to sit 2 or 3 inches higher than the squatty position recommended by the ergonomic police.   It was quite expensive, although the company paid for it.    I liked it enough that I might have paid for it and I would have brought it home.   However, I try to do things besides sit at a desk these days so it's not an issue anymore.   

I think this is what I had:

https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/aeron-chair/2195348.html?lang=en_US&

Edit:   I'll add that I had the chair for at least four years and used it daily, typically six days a week.   It held up without any issues and still looked new when I left.   I heard there was a bit of contention over who would get it.    ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:54:18 PM by leeo45 »

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:26 AM »
I'm in the same boat, working from home now and sitting a lot more than I used too. Have been just using a kitchen chair since my desk chair was just a doctors stool. I have looked at Staples and Office Depot. Found a chair at both stores that i found comfortable but were not in stock. Got the model number off of them and google searched and back ordered everywhere. I was also looking at printers while there. All the ones I was interested in were also on back order. Seems Covid is really disrupting the supply chain. Seeing a lot of it in my work as well.
I was talking chairs with some friends that are now working from home. They found a Herman Miller on Craigslist for $400 that was mint. She is extremely happy with it.

Online Smoothie

• Motorcycles: 2019 Speed Twin, 2018 Bonneville, 2005 Tuono Racing
Office Chairs
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »
I use an HM Aeron chair as well.   Sitting in it right now, in fact.  It's comfortable enough that I don't think about it unless I'm reading a thread about office chairs. 

As far as cost goes, some things are worth buying.   Akropovic is better than Danmoto.  And Madison Seating has the "highly adjustable" version of the Aeron for $525.

Funny thing about working from home.   For the first week you can kind of make anything work, but after that you need to recreate all of the stuff you had at the workplace to do your job.   Decent chair, place to put your computer, a separate space with a door you can close so the other people in your house can make noise, all of the reference material that sat next to your desk at work...

Basically if you work from home you need a bigger house.    :bigsmile:
Putting Ducati back into education.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
I had a Herman Miller Aeron chair or something very similar from HM at the office before I retired.   I was able to order one in the large size, adjustable arms, etc.  I am 6-3 with long legs and it was *almost* tall enough; recognizing that I like to sit 2 or 3 inches higher than the squatty position recommended by the ergonomic police.   It was quite expensive, although the company paid for it.    I liked it enough that I might have paid for it and I would have brought it home.   However, I try to do things besides sit at a desk these days so it's not an issue anymore.   

I think this is what I had:

https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/aeron-chair/2195348.html?lang=en_US&

Edit:   I'll add that I had the chair for at least four years and used it daily, typically six days a week.   It held up without any issues and still looked new when I left.   I heard there was a bit of contention over who would get it.    ;D

I had one of those at work for the last ten to fifteen years before I retired.  Expensive.  I stole mine from another office when it's former inhabitant left, and it was figuratively fought over when I left.  Those puppies are long-lasting.

The multitude of adjustments, including lumbar, make for all-day ease. 

You might be able to get a better price at a used office furniture outlet, but they are rare to find and likely still pricey.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online melville

• Motorcycles: R75/6, Yamaha 850 (very) Special
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »
I use an HM Aeron chair as well.   Sitting in it right now, in fact.  It's comfortable enough that I don't think about it unless I'm reading a thread about office chairs. 

As far as cost goes, some things are worth buying.   Akropovic is better than Danmoto.  And Madison Seating has the "highly adjustable" version of the Aeron for $525.

Funny thing about working from home.   For the first week you can kind of make anything work, but after that you need to recreate all of the stuff you had at the workplace to do your job.   Decent chair, place to put your computer, a separate space with a door you can close so the other people in your house can make noise, all of the reference material that sat next to your desk at work...

Basically if you work from home you need a bigger house.    :bigsmile:

Yes, your employer is outsourcing their real estate for free!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

Offline CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
My Father-in-law retired from full time work from Herman Miller about 8 years ago and still works part-time (very part-time), but actually is the longest-running employee there- ever.

As such he has an Aeron chair in his "office" and an Eames Lounge chair which he received on retirement. 

We have an Aeron knockoff.  My wife has claimed the office and works from home about two-days a week right now and loves it

Now the Aeron?  That thing is awesome.  As our knock-off is wearing, we have been looking for used Aerons to replace it.  A used Aeron is better than a new knock-off, in our estimation.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 04:49:19 AM »
And Madison Seating has the "highly adjustable" version of the Aeron for $525.

I looked at their web site. They are not an authorized dealer and these are listed as "open box". But the price is right. Are these refurbs maybe?

https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-chair-by-herman-miller-loaded-lumbar-lead-en.html
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 07:50:44 AM »
And Madison Seating has the "highly adjustable" version of the Aeron for $525.

I looked at their web site. They are not an authorized dealer and these are listed as "open box". But the price is right. Are these refurbs maybe?

https://www.madisonseating.com/aeron-chair-by-herman-miller-loaded-lumbar-lead-en.html

From their web site. "Madisonseating's stock of Herman Miller chairs are either open box, pre-owned or refurbished."

Online radon222

• Contributor
  • It's all Scratch's fault
  • Motorcycles: R1200GSAW, R1200RT
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
I've been working remote since 2014 and I had been buying used chairs from a local office supply store.  They'd generally last a year before the hydraulic piston would fail or I'd wear through the material or something.

Last year I tried something different.  Secretlabs is a "gaming" chair but has options for those of us on the larger size of normal range and a year later I'm still impressed by the comfort.  Its a good deal for the price relative to something like a Herman Miller.

https://secretlab.co/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=brand&utm_campaign=us-s-brand-BMM&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC1gC5n4DGICggdG28Su4m_9_0_Dbzfoo2wze6-JymiQLPqj_OJo7MxoCWQkQAvD_BwE

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.