Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Do I Need to Know About Windows?  (Read 215 times)

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
What Do I Need to Know About Windows?
« on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
Fourstring and I are looking to upgrade our windows and doors, since they appear to be the originals from when the house was built in '57. They mostly work, but are single-pane with storms and screens. We know we want double pane (duh) and tilt in for cleaning. We want high-quality, since we're planning to live here until they bring us out in pine boxes.

Info about the house - It's one-story ranch with 10 double hung (of two different sizes), one massive picture window and a small kitchen window with cranks. We are also looking to replace the front and back doors. We're assuming there will be a lot of rot in the wood around the windows, so that will be a thing.

What sorts of things should we be looking for and asking about as we call contractors?
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
Re: What Do I Need to Know About Windows?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
My experience is avoid cheap vinyl windows they are not final and many you can not get parts for in a few years.  Go with a good name brand Anderson has been my choice last go round.   

Had some Simonton windows that seemed to be good but don't even know if they still exist.

Make sure you get a installer that is a craftsman not a hack makes a ton of difference on how they work and seal.  Local guy with a son or daughter in the business, really think long term it is worth it.

Some of the replacement stuff will make you wish you still had the old windows In 20 years.
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:00:12 AM »
go with the best you can afford. pocket replacements are cheaper and easier depending on the condition of your old frames? I like the Anderson windows I have but now wish I would have went for the next model up. I think Pella makes decent stuff too. windows are definitely a "get what you pay for" item.

talk to a reputable installer and get their opinion on your situation.
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
Window quality does not matter if the installation is not done properly. 

I can’t stress this enough.  Even cheap windows will provide decent service if installed right.  Expensive windows won’t perform any better or last any longer than cheap windows if the installation is not done well. The contractor or company you choose to install your windows is more important than the type of window you choose.  In addition, skilled installers will not mar the interior or exterior finish, and that is something to think about, because a careless installer will leave you with a lot of touch up work and cleaning to do.  BTDT. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online maddjack

• Contributor
  • UFO PILOT
  • Motorcycles: KLz1000 Versys
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
After replacing windows in 3 different houses , I can say , buy the good ones, get a top notch installer. Cheap ones go to crap faster than you would think( I went that way and replaced them again in one house) Also the better windows have the benefit of a noise rating, I went for the best on that and it made a huge difference. I went Colton, Anderson is also good. Spend at the upper end if you intend to stay at this house.
Remember you buy cheap , you get cheap and all its not so great problems
VIVA EL STINKO

The little red bike is gone , sniff sniff, but the Batbike has begun.

Online Meemuh

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: '91 Nighthawk, 07 V-Strom
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:40:09 AM »
Seems like this is a pretty good entry level article from Consumer Reports.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/replacement-windows/buying-guide/index.htm

But, honestly, nobody REALLY knows windows & doors unless you deal with them all the time.
Call contractors & have them educate you.  You'll learn about windows and if you wanna deal with those contractors or not.

Online sleazy rider

• Contributor
  • Still not traveling
  • Motorcycles: 1990 Suzuki DR350S, 1974 Suzuki TC100
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 01:35:30 PM »
Our Anderson casements were original to the new house build in 1991.  They're still going strong with a couple/three seal repairs and a couple crank mechanisms replaced.  Key is, I can STILL get parts nearly 30 years later and they swap right in.  I've seen neighbors here have windows replaced twice in that same time because they went price vs quality.  Skip the junk/novelty type stuff and pay the piper. 

--Tom

Online jadziadax8

• Contributor
  • Yeah it's a girl's bike. THIS girl's bike.
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
We’re not inclined to cheap out. It’s good to know Anderson is still quality. My mom’s house has the most gorgeous sliding windows from them that are still looking new 60 years after the house was built. If my house was set up for that style, I’d love to put them in.
She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting. 

My Other Hobby

Online CLAY

• Super Moderator
  • Help me Mr. Wizard!!!
  • Motorcycles: '03 Bandit 1200S, '97 XR650L, '79 XS650 Tracker, '75 XS650 Standard
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »
After replacing windows in 3 different houses , I can say , buy the good ones, get a top notch installer. Cheap ones go to crap faster than you would think( I went that way and replaced them again in one house) Also the better windows have the benefit of a noise rating, I went for the best on that and it made a huge difference. I went Colton, Anderson is also good. Spend at the upper end if you intend to stay at this house.
Remember you buy cheap , you get cheap and all its not so great problems

Good windows are expensive.  We've been working on replacing all of ours, but also are paying cash.  We've been working our way around the house and are about halfway, with the more expensive half to go.

As others have said- a quality craftsman and QUALITY WINDOWS. I have a few friends that are in the construction industry, and they all recommended Andersen, so that's what we've been doing.
"Most accidents happen when the meek meet the douchebags."  -Viffergyrl
"The wider the road, the worse the food." -Coho
Let's do some science.

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
Have friend that was replacing his windows about 15 years ago.  Putting in new Anderson. 

Found a tag on the 100 year old windows he was replacing.  Anderson also. 

Sometimes it slaps you in the face.

They have indicated that I could be orange.

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
My prior house had Anderson double-hung, double pane, windows with the tilt-in for cleaning feature.  They worked well.  Sometimes the tilt-in had to be cajoled a bit, but it was never difficult.  They did a good job in North Dakota, so I'm certain that they'd do great in Chicago's comparatively mild winters.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh