Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Manager/Vault  (Read 315 times)

Offline Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
Password Manager/Vault
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »
Time for the not so annual password change.  Boy do I use a lot of them across many platforms. 

So that has me thinking there must be a better way.  I'm going to start the research, but hell what is this forum for if not to ask questions.

What do you use?  Recommend?  Think?

Picture for exposure:
IBA# 22015

Online bungie4

• Assistance List
  • Motorcycles: 2013 FJR
Re: Password Manager/Vault
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
Keepass
-Steve
SnowMexican
WWPD
choo choo mf'r.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »
LastPass has been audited by 3rd parties for how it stores stuff (when it does) for how it properly implemented encryption, and what potential attackers get of they steel anything (encrypted blobs that are long-key encrypted to avoid brute force and dictionary attacks). AND LastPass lets you manage the rules when generating random PWs (to address zer0netgain's complaint).

Anything other than LastPass or KeyPass would be a hard pass for me since most have been found to be nothing more than a graphic front end to a unencrypted text file storing your ID/PW list.

AND NEVER STORE PASSWORDS IN YOUR BROWSERS
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:54:00 AM by Bounce »

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 01:51:00 PM »
no need.  i just use the same password for everything and it's really short and only has a couple letters.  but nobody could ever figure it out so I'm all good.
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
LastPass has been audited by 3rd parties for how it stores stuff (when it does) for how it properly implemented encryption, and what potential attackers get of they steel anything (encrypted blobs that are long-key encrypted to avoid brute force and dictionary attacks).

I've been using LastPass for a couple of years. I installed it as a browser extension, and also on my phone. It's been great, now i have unique passwords for every site, and I don't have to remember them.
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Online PatM

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RT
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
Lastpass.
Ride safe!

Offline Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:06:23 PM »
Thank you for the input.  Been thinking there has to be a better way.  Having dyslexia has helped as I tend to type my passwords sdrawkcab (backwards) naturally.  But recently I believe some of my passwords have gotten out.

Getting up in years and hearing of hacked accounts need an easier way.  Recently work was hacked.  They have done their legal obligation of providing free credit monitoring for a year, but my understanding is that many times this data is kept and sold many times after that.  So I'm trying to be a little proactive. 
IBA# 22015

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:44:52 AM »
I hate that Apple devices can suggest strong passwords, but often they are not compatible with the restrictions imposed by a website or don’t comply with the rules.  Very frustrating.  If it let you select the rules before generating a password, that would help a lot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login