Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ramps the right way  (Read 184 times)

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Ramps the right way
« on: September 11, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
So we have a trifold ramp just shy of 6'.  We used it to load the XTs a bunch of times.  The length was a tad annoying but the height of the XTs made it workable.  Then we got the big ole quad so we needed new ramps.  The overkill safety nazis in both of us led us to get some huge 9.5 foot folding "long ramps" with high ledges blah blah blah.  They worked awesome.  But now we have proper motorcycles again and I wasn't comfortable using the ATV ramps to load the bike(s).  So we just got the new ramps.  Ooof.  Not cheap but we've been kinda killing it on FB marketplace cleaning out the basement and paid for these in one day.  Just did a test load of the NC and frankly, they're worth every penny.  Behold these behemoths...  Should serve multiple purposes of loading bikes and ATV.  They're wider than most of the ramps we found and since the ATV is 48" wide, we wanted to be sure they would accommodate both width and weight.  No worries.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle/ramps/full-width/p/MF3-12057/

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
Re: Ramps the right way
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
I have 2/3 of a set of those.  t some point in the distant past, I'm not sure how, one segment went missing.

Yes, you guessed it- the middle section.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
Well

At least I get my humor
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »
Well

At least I get my humor

Yeah, there was a time when I was a tough guy and made fun of people like me.  But it turns out that I like to have my cake and eat it too.  Soon, I'm going to go riding on the Parkway with my wife and nephew.  We'll be camping for the weekend.  I'll be riding the three hours down there after work.  Then, instead of a tent or motel or hotel, I'll be sleeping in my king size bed beside my wife...while camping...and being on a motorcycle trip.  All because a motorcycle has to suffer the indignity of being in the back of a truck to make that happen.  I keep looking and I do NOT see a downside.  Wait...the downside is that I'm not hard core.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlA0_Hv3CQ

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:03:44 PM by Vulcanbill »
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:58:41 PM »
I have 2/3 of a set of those.  t some point in the distant past, I'm not sure how, one segment went missing.

Yes, you guessed it- the middle section.

I haven't spent more than a few minutes with them yet but I'm still not understanding the middle one thing.  They seem totally identical to me.  I'll look harder tomorrow.  They connect with a completely neutral looking bracket that appears to fit regardless of where it goes.  I will try to suss out how they're different tomorrow when we do realistic dry runs with the bikes and the quad and work out whether we will be with or without the tailgate. 

Online miles

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Two of them
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
Mine have a hinge-pin setup to connect them. The middle one has hinge sockets on both side, and the outer two have hinge pins on one side only. As a result, the outside two cannot be mated.

If they had designed them with any forethought they would have made the middle section with sockets on one side and pins on the other so the outside two could mate up.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries

Offline mr.awesome

• Motorcycles: 04 Triumph Sprint ST, 03 Kawazuki KLX400SR-SM, 99 Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 06:56:10 AM »
That's not a ramp, it's a freaking bridge.  ;D.   Should be very comfortable loading on that bad boy.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 06:56:59 AM »
These have a bracket and cotter pin type set up.  Pretty sure order is irrelevant.  But they're so heavy and meaty that I might not even use them all. Came with 4.  Seems a bit overkill especially given that my property tends to be a touch uneven and their tolerances are pretty tight.  Near the truck, they're fairly well aligned but closer to the ground, all bets are off.  Fine for use as a ramp but rarely within the sixteenth needed to make the bracket slide on. 
I still think they're going to be incredibly functional and the peace of mind of not ending up in a fail army video justifies the price for me. I love it when someone solves a problem for me and all I have to do is give them money for it.

Online Black Hills

• Motorcycles: KTM 1290 Adventure R, KTM300xcw, 1290 SuperDuke
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Those will be handy if you come across a washed out bridge
the above are merely the ramblings of a hamfisted fuckwit who has broken too many helmets.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 08:56:15 AM »
The guy that bought the LONG RAMPS last night plans to have them act both as ramps and as the side rails on his flat bed pick m up truck.  All he has to do is grind out some metal and they'll be perfectly flat.  Never thought of that.  Clever.

Offline OHScot

• Motorcycles: K1200GT, Ural Patrol, R75/6, Reflex, CT70 clone
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with having cake and eating too.  Game plan 1

I kind of see a RV in the future.  Keep trying to avoid one. 
They have indicated that I could be orange.

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
Pikers!  LOL

visitors can't see pics , please register or login