Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Panic Button Suggestion Needed  (Read 159 times)

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Panic Button Suggestion Needed
« on: September 10, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »
Mom fell in the shower yesterday...not hurt, but she was pissed I didn't hear her banging on the floor (I was brushing my teeth and thought the thumping sound was the big dog slapping her tail on the floor).

Being rural, calling 911 isn't a priority due to likely long wait for a response.  So....

• Need a waterproof transmitter that can be worn with long battery life.
  • A local alarm so if I'm home, I know something's happening and know to go check on her.
  • I like the kind that lets you program outgoing numbers to call with a pre-recorded message.  If not my cell phone first, our two closest neighbors (at least the one with a spare key), with 911 as the final number if nobody responds.
  • I'd prefer not to have to pay monthly fees.  At this stage, I don't need a high level of service.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
Re: Panic Button Suggestion Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:38:57 AM »
In the UK, there is a wide choice of telecare devices-personal alarms and such-which would fit the bill. I'm sure it's the same in the  US. costs over here are usually low. a quick google didn't turn up anything useful but try searching telecare services in your area.

some US advice here: https://www.agespace.org/personal-alarms-for-the-elderly#:~:text=Lifeline%2024%20is%20a%20dedicated%20national%20personal%20alarm,around%20the%20wrist%20or%20neck%20with%20a%20button.
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 11:35:02 AM »
Unfortunately, there is NOTHING categorized as medical that is low cost over here... not trying to be negative, but that's the first thing that jumped out...

Zero, have you added handles in the shower yet? Entry grab bars and suction handles inside the stall were the first thing we had to do when MIL was living with us for a time. Helped the peace of mind a lot.

LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online 1KPerDay

• Ride to eat, eat to ride
  • Motorcycles: XR1200, GL1800A, R90/6
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »
Uber cheap option is a waterproof case/tether for her cell phone. Assuming she can run one reliably (my mom can’t)
My hovercraft is full of eels

Online zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:16:58 PM »
I picked up a marine air horn at Walmart.  It'll do for now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login