Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The very definition of "Clusterf**k"  (Read 521 times)

Offline stevent

• Motorcycles: 2010 K1300GT
The very definition of "Clusterf**k"
« on: August 22, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
So I bought this '08 Toyota Highlander back in February. Excellent vehicle, great shape etc, I found out the child safety lock was stuck "on" on one of the doors, so I bought this whizz-bang tool kit for taking interiors apart. I finally got a chance to use it Wednesday, got the door apart, no problem.. replaced the lock mechanism ($254.) and put it back together and the window doesn't work. Took it apart again and found the window switch had a broken contact. Ordered a new switch, ($104.) popped it in yesterday and the window only goes down half way. Took the door apart again and found I'd ran the control cables inside the window bracket instead of out side. Took everything apart again, managed to get the cables ran properly, put it all back together and the door handle won't work. Took it all apart again, discovered I had kinked one of the cables, attempted to straighten it and noticed the sheathing broken off on the other cable. Trimmed that back as best I could, put it all back together again, window works, door handle works, lock does not. Ordered two new cables, ($22.99 each x 2) and am patiently waiting their arrival, when I will take the door apart again, remove the latch, re-install the new cables correctly this time, put it all back together again, and I assume will have a functioning door lock and power window.

At this point I could have taken it to the Toyota dealer, paid them to replace the lock, bought the whole service department doughnuts and coffee and still come out ahead money wise. I have to admit this has devolved into some Freudian act of self abuse at this point, which I am determined to see through. Specially since (as my wife pointed out) the grand kids hardly ever ride back there anyway so it didn't really matter if the child lock worked or not.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online Mrs. DantesDame

• Super Moderator
  • Getting too old for this crap
    • DantesDame's Adventures
  • Motorcycles: -14 BMW F800 GSA
Re: The very definition of "Clusterf**k"
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 01:06:46 PM »
 :rolf:

(I feel your pain)
www.Dantesdame.com <-- Rides! Rides! Rides!

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

(I feel your pain)

Me too.

I suspect we've all had those little projects that grow exponentially.  Mine frequently involve the phrase "as long as I have this all apart, I should ..."
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Offline squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 05:38:52 PM »
 :lol:
I love those projects where you create new swear words.
A man with no sig

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »
At our house, it's STDWR

"Shit That Don't Work Right."
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online Papa Lazarou

• Contributor
  • For further information, please re-read.
  • Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE Diablo Rosso
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 01:25:05 AM »
Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 04:22:11 AM »
This is why I more and more go to a mechanic. :(  Something I COULD do for myself brings the question of how involved it will get, and I don’t have the strength or energy that I used to for doing stuff.  An affordable and honest mechanic is often worth the cost.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline sodapop6620

• Motorcycles: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 05:02:01 AM »
At work I call this a career call because it never seems to end.

My suggestion is to test it before putting everything back together. This way you can watch it work and see if there are any of the "gotchas".  Do you have a gremlin bell on the truck?  If not it might be time for one.

Offline stevent

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 10:20:10 AM »
:lol:
I love those projects where you create new swear words.

Yes, I know I've struck gold when my wife comes out and closes the garage doors to spare the neighbors.
"Sure I get the best parking spots, but who could love a man with a wooden leg and a face like a hens arse?"

Online TwistedT

• Contributor
  • Now with contribution!
  • Motorcycles: Yes, please.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
I have to admit this has devolved into some Freudian act of self abuse at this point, which I am determined to see through. Specially since (as my wife pointed out) the grand kids hardly ever ride back there anyway so it didn't really matter if the child lock worked or not.

:rolf: I love this part.
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Offline stevent

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
SUCCESS!!!!! lock works, window works, door handle works, child safety lock works! Despite having ordered one of the wrong cables, fortunately the right cable was the one I actually needed. I just ordered both to be safe.

I wound up having "A Moment" when the little plastic cover fell off the lock cable holder, but I calmly took the vapor barrier and speaker out and jammed my arm down inside the door and found it. The piece snapped back into place and I added a little electrical tape for security. Other than that it was a piece of cake since I'd done it so many times now. A decent tool kit for interior trim is worth it's weight in gold by the way!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 06:50:40 PM by stevent »

Offline Baxter

• Contributor
  • I broke the internet!
  • Motorcycles: Ninjette Noire
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »
 :thumbsup: :beerchug:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.  --Winnie the Pooh

Online Mossyrocks

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 05 Wee-Strom - Deceased, 07 Yamaha Fun Joy Ride
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »
This is why I more and more go to a mechanic. :(  Something I COULD do for myself brings the question of how involved it will get, and I don’t have the strength or energy that I used to for doing stuff.  An affordable and honest mechanic is often worth the cost.

What he said   ;D ;D

Online Andrew

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: Got a Few
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
Soo ya got it back the way it should be  :thumbsup:
Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing less than anarchy by the rich.

"Riders might be worse than Kardashians for stupidity any more." Cornbe

Offline minimac

• Practicing Neanderthal, Nuclear Nomad
  • Motorcycles: GL1500A, Silverwing, ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶, Morphous
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 08:12:45 AM »
No spare parts leftover?  Heck, it's not right if you can't do it with less parts than the factory.
old enough to know better

Offline stevent

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
No spare parts leftover?  Heck, it's not right if you can't do it with less parts than the factory.

Well I substituted an incorrect $22.00 cable I didn't need in the first place for left over parts, so I figure it's a wash...