Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wireless earbuds under helmet?  (Read 712 times)

Mossyrocks, shil and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
  • Motorcycles: 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 - ORANGE!!!!
Wireless earbuds under helmet?
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »
I've been using my phone to listen to music.  I still have my trusty ER6i earphones and I'm still mostly OK with them.  The thing that's driving me nuts is the freaking cord management.  I tuck the wires under my collar with some play and that's fine but the phone goes in the tank bag and within a few minutes at highway speed, the cord is floating around in front of my face.  Even when I do get it tucked somewhere that it will actually stay, as soon as I stand up to give my butt some relief, get some wind when its hot, or just take some bumps, it usually jerks the cord out from where ever it was tucked.  And depending on where that was, it may or may not compromise the seal in one or both of my ears when there's tugging.  First world problems I know.  Regardless...

Anyone using wireless in ear headphones on the bike?  Which ones?  What kind of helmet?  All the details please.  Since I'm using the Shark, I have a fair bit of room when the helmet goes on and off which is what makes me think I have the potential for wireless.  Looking at the ER6i, it's not particularly small and some of the bluetooth in ears seem to have an equal or lesser profile by comparison.  But that's just watching videos. 

Thoughts? 

This guy has thoughts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IRXczRw9uk
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

If you say "Gullible" real slow, it sounds like "Orange"

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
Re: Wireless earbuds under helmet?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »
I've not had luck with wireless earbuds that fit under a helmet.  The integrated BT technology makes it too bulky.  Not sure if the Apple version are any better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 09:24:54 AM »
I have 3 sets of in-ear monitors (custom molded). 2 are wired (different lengths with the shorter for the bike) and 1 BT.  BT ones fit until my moto and bi cycle helmets without an issue. The electronics are in 2 (small) compartments on the cord. 1 for the internal, USB recharable battery and the other is the controls. Nothing up my the molded earplugs other than the wire going between the 2.

Online HipGnosis

• It's Hip, ya know
  • Motorcycles: F800ST(low), Ninja 650
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:01:12 AM »
Use a bluetooth receiver with the ER6i(?).
I've been happy with all of my MPOW (brand) devices, bought on amazon.

I did that for a while, but that was for hearing the GPS.  Since that GPS died and was replaced, I just put my phone in my jacket inside breast pocket.
Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live. - Anna Quindlen

Offline zer0netgain

• Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
Use a bluetooth receiver with the ER6i(?)....

I believe he wants "wireless" to the earbuds themselves.  A BT dongle just keeps you from being wired to the bike.

Online slayman

• Motorcycles: 05 ZZR 1200, 84 GPZ 550 (not running)
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
I use wired molded IEM plugged in to the Sena 20S. Sena is BT to the phone in my pocket or tank/tail bag and sometimes, GPS. Or Sena speakers and ear plugs work well enough up to 80 for music. When I need to hear music, GPS and comm with Smoker I have to use the wired IEM. I've never been able to get the mix right between the any two of the three inputs (comm, GPS and music) to use the speakers.
"James Bond killed many men with a .380 and that's all I need to know." Cookie 2015-02-12

Online Skee

• Contributor
  • Motorcycles: 2019 Versys
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
I tried using my ER6is plugged into my Sena 10 and bluetoothing music to the Sena.   I wrap the extra cable around the Sena.  That way I'm not wired to the bike; the only cable is to my helmet.  No problems adjusting independent channel volumes on the 10.  However, I noticed a decline in music quality and occasional static when using Bluetooth.

So I just run the cable from ER6is through the ring on my tank bag and learn to live with it.  After you yank the buds out of your ears a few times you'll learn to be mindful of the cable.  Sometimes I use a clip on the front of my jacket to keep the cable from flying in front of my face.   Yes, it is a pain in the butt.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.    Bertrand Russell

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."   Vincent van Gogh

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »
I tried using my ER6is plugged into my Sena 10 and bluetoothing music to the Sena.   I wrap the extra cable around the Sena.  That way I'm not wired to the bike; the only cable is to my helmet.  No problems adjusting independent channel volumes on the 10.  However, I noticed a decline in music quality and occasional static when using Bluetooth.

So I just run the cable from ER6is through the ring on my tank bag and learn to live with it.  After you yank the buds out of your ears a few times you'll learn to be mindful of the cable.  Sometimes I use a clip on the front of my jacket to keep the cable from flying in front of my face.   Yes, it is a pain in the butt.

That's where I'm at currently thus the query.  The clip comes off my jacket and floats around in front of my face depending on wind and trucks and such.  It's just a lot of prep at 5:45am. 
If a person's primary concern is increasing freedom, they should prepare for a reduction in average lifespan.  ---  Misanthropist

Online Bounce

• Contributor
    • FJR-Tips
  • Motorcycles: Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »
Custom Ear Plugs
Sheena Snow
11700 Netleaf Lane
Keller, TX 76244
1-214-864-0121

If too far from you, I bet she can hook you up with someone closer if she can't do it remotely (or if you don't want a self-fit kit).

Online Leanintree

• Yay Motorcycles!
  • Motorcycles: yes
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
I always have my ear buds on on the bike. Both as mild earplugs, and because TUNES yo...

Been using these for the last 6-8(years).

Skullcandy Ink'd

I put the earbuds in prior to helmet (duh), then right side of neckband tucks under my right ear and left end (with control buttons) goes under my helmet strap and floats behind my chinbar. Flat neckband is comfy on both ends. Allows full control start/stop, skip, repeat etc.  even with gloves on. Will also allow me to take calls if stopped (not so much on the move, too much wind for the microphone).

I'm on my second pair, just changed out this summer.

NOTE however, I know that Skullcandy has updated these to multiple styles, Ink'd Plus, Ink'd Plus Active and another seperate line the Method. Controls may be different and that's always been a big reason I like them. 3 fat buttons that I can use with gloves. YMMV.
LT
Great googly-moogly!

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 06:28:21 PM »
I always have my ear buds on on the bike. Both as mild earplugs, and because TUNES yo...

Maybe a little late to this meeting, but,

I have had stellar daily use with RHA MA750i wireless Bluetooth headsets.

Top of the list, they  support the aptX codec, so your high quality files actually sound High Quality!
They offer outstanding sound reproduction and sufficient noise isolation.
They stay in my ears comfortably, and securely under helmet, WITH NO CONCERN for them bouncing down the pavement upon helmet removal. Finally, they have an actual Customer Service Dept. staffed with real, accessible people.

Cons:
The tiny, in-line mic/control buttons are virtually guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.
They have been discontinued, (BUT discounted!) ‘cause everybody thinks they need earBUDS.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:43:55 PM by Flyer »
"We have constructed pyramids, in honour of our escaping." - Jim Morrison”
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 08:00:06 PM »
 Not late to the meeting.  While the ones I got are nice, they'll not be for extended periods under the helmet.  And while I might be able to wrestle the helmet on with them in and keep them there, taking the helmet off will launch one or both elsewhere.  The hunt continues.

Online Flyer

• Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi 3V/C.Record, Colnago C50/C.Record, Kona J.T.S./105.,Kona NuNu
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »
I suppose you could crazy-glue a lanyard between the units... :shrug:
Or, bow deeply so when removing the helmet, the ‘bud(s) fall into it.
If you search, you’ll notice a thriving business in replacement left or right ‘buds.
I also question the capability of the mic, insulated and remote inside the helmet.
“His gaze was stern, unyielding, like an Easter Island head stuck in traffic” - Dylan Moran

Online Vulcanbill

• Contributor
  • no thank you ... still
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 07:48:13 AM »
I suppose you could crazy-glue a lanyard between the units... :shrug:
Or, bow deeply so when removing the helmet, the ‘bud(s) fall into it.
If you search, you’ll notice a thriving business in replacement left or right ‘buds.
I also question the capability of the mic, insulated and remote inside the helmet.

Don't care about the mic.  Just need music piping.  Not taking calls. 

Online Oddball

• Motorcycles: XS360, DR650, Tiger 800XC, FZ1, R1100RT
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »
Cons:
The tiny, in-line mic/control buttons are virtually guaranteed to raise your blood pressure.
They have been discontinued, (BUT discounted!) ‘cause everybody thinks they need earBUDS.

Flyer I've been using these type of headsets for some time.  I recommend buying this to control volume, play, pause and next selection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085BYDHG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one and like it so much had to buy another to support the company and stop needing to move it from one ride to another.
IBA# 22015

Online Flyer

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 07:56:06 PM »
Cons:

Flyer I've been using these type of headsets for some time.  I recommend buying this to control volume, play, pause and next selection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085BYDHG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one and like it so much had to buy another to support the company and stop needing to move it from one ride to another.
:smiley_thumb: