Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MotoGP 2020 - Andalucia GP @ Jerez (SPOILER ALERT)  (Read 151 times)

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
  • Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki SV650
MotoGP 2020 - Andalucia GP @ Jerez (SPOILER ALERT)
« on: July 29, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »
I appreciate everyone not revealing any outcomes in the 2020 MotoGP thread, since I just watched this race last night. Although it's pretty hard to avoid learning the outcome what with social media and all, I like learning how it all came down.

So something for everyone I guess:

The young and the.... notsoyoung on the podium, which was quite fabulous. Never count Rossi out. He is still a crafty ole fox.

Watching Peco and Morbidelli and thinking what the hell is going to happen? Just glad they didn't crash.

Amazing how Rins and Crutchlow made it around and got points! Especially in that heat and all the other crashes.

Lastly, very pleased how well the independent teams are functioning and showing - makes it far more interesting.

I've put a spoiler alert on this thread, although it's way after the fact, but I hope others feel free to start specific race threads in the future with a spoiler alert.
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Offline motociclista

• EOE Cup MotoGP champ, 2013, 2017, co-champion 2018
    • The Ride So Far
  • Motorcycles: Don't mind if I do. I love those things!
Re: MotoGP 2020 - Andalucia GP @ Jerez (SPOILER ALERT)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »
WARNING: UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT

Is it amazing and impressive that a 41-year-old rider can finish on the MotoGP podium in blazing heat? Absolutely! I am not worthy of being the piece of dead cowskin that Rossi pulls away from his nether regions as he leaves the box before every single race.

That said... never count him out? This is usually stated as "Never bet against Rossi!" I see it written all the time by lazy motorcycle writers and I have to wonder. What, exactly, would I be unwise to bet against?

Would I be foolish to bet against him winning another title? I'll take that bet as many times as I can get it.

Would I be foolish to bet against him winning another race? I suppose under extraordinary circumstances he could win a race, but if that happened, I'd still end the year with a dozen winning bets and one loser. I'll take that ROI any day.

Would I be foolish to bet against him getting on the podium? So far, I'd be breaking even on that bet. And that's after two races at a track that favors Yamahas and where three top riders were injured and two frontrunners dropped out due to mechanical failures. I'm confident that if I bet that Rossi wouldn't make the podium in each race, I'd end the season with far more winners than losers, too.

Look, Rossi may well be the GOAT, and I am actually sorry that he went to Ducati and ruined his chance to top Agostini's numbers. I don't begrudge him being out there and hope he continues racing as long as he still enjoys it and can.

But he's just not a factor competitively any more, not in the big picture.

I warned you it'd be unpopular.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »
LOL. Well I was being diplomatic.  I would be absolutely thrilled to be last on the grid because I would be *that* good. M.Brane and I say it all the time, every race, as we sit in front of the screen and watch these guys get more out of physics than we ever could. 8)

There were people in contention for #2 and #3; it was a matter of who was left standing. The last 10 laps were indeed 'brutal and cruel'. So I guess Rossi is just lucky. Meanwhile, it looks like Fabio is taking a page from the Lorenzo playbook.

I think Vinales has to get Rossi out of his head and figure out how to get around his teammate - he got stuck behind him way too long....
The world is a mess. It has always been a mess. Our job is to straighten out our own lives.  Joseph Campbell

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »
On Rossi:
I'd argue the point, but then you could ask me if I put Vale on my fantasy team. Uh, no. And I wouldn't take any of those bets either.

I think he's still a MotoGP class rider. I think he could still beat a decent chunk of that grid on equal machinery. i think it's possible that he's the fourth best Yamaha rider right now, but he can still mix it up with them -- sometimes. Maybe that puts us pretty close to the same place.

He said he got some changes to the bike last week that he asked for all last year. Jarvis backed him up on that. It'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference the rest of the season.

Other quick comments:

1.  :bigok: on spoiler threads. First one in, kick it off.  :beerchug: viffergyrl.

2.  Seriously, did anyone see this coming from Quartararo in the lower classes? I wondered why they hired him last year. So, uh, I guess we can take my opinion of talent with a shaker of salt.

3.  Crutchlow and Rins: More evidence of that those alien lizard people exist and masquerade as humans. Anyone heard any buzz on where Cal is going next year?
A man with no sig

Offline motodog650

• Pissed-off bloody wanker
  • Motorcycles: '03 SV650 / '07 DR-Z400S / '83 & '84 Nighthawks
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:33:05 AM »
On Rossi:
I'd argue the point, but then you could ask me if I put Vale on my fantasy team. Uh, no. And I wouldn't take any of those bets either.

I'm currently at 231.5 points. How about you Squeeze ??

Online garry

• Bleeds Orange...
    • MotoRoads
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:51:17 PM »
As much as I love Rossi, I think the days of him being a regular podium contender in a dry race are mostly over unless people are out due to injury, crashes, or mechanicals. I expect we'll see him on the box again someday, but he won't figure into the sharp end much any more. As one of the commentators said, it appears this season will be a changing of the guard.
2009 KTM 570 EXC
2017 KTM Super Duke GT

Online squeezer

• Contributor
  • squirrelly geezer
  • Motorcycles: 16 Tiger Xr(x)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »
On Rossi:

I'm currently at 231.5 points. How about you Squeeze ??

197.5 and mired in the midfield. And pretty much all my points come from Fabio. Have Binder (ah, will he stay on?) and Mir on my silver team. My gold team was Marquez/Fabio, now Dovi/Fabio. Yammy is my team. Will probably switch a silver team rider for the next race but haven't decided who.
A man with no sig

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
LOL. Well I was being diplomatic.  I would be absolutely thrilled to be last on the grid because I would be *that* good.

I wasn't picking on you, viffergyrl, and sorry if it came across that way. We're just slinging around informal banter here. It bugs me more when so-called professional writers fall back on "never bet against Rossi" when they're supposed to be providing insight.

And you're totally right, too. I've proven I can't lap within 20 seconds of the back of the grid, which is why I wrote that my skills rank me a bit lower than the unluckiest part of dead cow on Rossi's leathers.

But I do feel qualified to comment on what other professional writers are saying.

On Rossi:

I think he's still a MotoGP class rider. I think he could still beat a decent chunk of that grid on equal machinery. i think it's possible that he's the fourth best Yamaha rider right now, but he can still mix it up with them -- sometimes. Maybe that puts us pretty close to the same place.

Yeah, I think we're in pretty much the same place.
Whitehorse Gear is getting out of the publishing business and I'm closing out remaining stocks of my book. Now just $10, personally signed and shipping is free in the U.S.

Online viffergyrl

• Contributor
  • Hey! Wait for me.....
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
@motociclista

;D No worries. It looks to me that Rossi just had the luck this time which was in short supply for others.  I think they call that 'racing'. 8)

Offline motociclista

• The Ride So Far
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
I think they call that 'racing'. 8)

"That's why we line up on Sunday." -- Nicky Hayden

'cause you never know what might happen, even if you think you do.

Which is also why those of us who aren't good enough to line up on Sunday watch.